Thunderbirds are Go! blends old and new for return of classic series

yhUJOCY.png

Rosamund Pike will provide the voice of Lady Penelope in the new ITV version of Thunderbirds in a cast that also includes Fonejacker's Kayvan Novak.

However, some things remain the same: David Graham, who provided the distinctive nasal tones of Lady Penelope's chauffeur, Parker, in the original 1960s children's series, is to reprise the role.

Pike, the actor best known for her role as a double agent opposite Pierce Brosnan in James Bond film Die Another Die, said she was "very excited to bring Lady Penelope's wry wit and taste for adventure to a new generation".

The new series, which will be called Thunderbirds are Go!, also sees the return of Graham as the voice of Parker. Graham voiced Parker, along with three other puppet characters, in the original series of Thunderbirds broadcast nearly 50 years ago.

Lady Penelope, driven around by Parker in a pink Rolls-Royce, number plate FAB1, is one of the most recognisable characters in children's TV history.

Pike, who has also starred in Jack Reacher, Made in Dagenham and Bad Education, added: "Exploring the scenes with David Graham has been an absolute delight. The scripts are very modern, very fresh and very funny. We're all eagerly anticipating our next stint in the recording studio."

Fonejacker star Novak will voice inventor Brains, with Sandra Dickinson, the veteran actor who starred in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, playing the role of Tracy Island matriarch, Grandma Tracy.

Other leading roles are taken by Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Game of Thrones, Love Actually) as brothers Gordon and John Tracy, Rasmus Hardiker (Saxondale, Lead Balloon) as Alan and Scott, with fifth Tracy brother Virgil played by David Menkin.

Master villain The Hood will be voiced by Andres Williams (M.I. High, Foyle's War). New characters include Tracey brothers' friend Kayo, played by Angel Coulby (Merlin, Dancing on the Edge) and Colonel Casey voiced by Adjoa Andoh (Invictus, Doctor Who).

The new series will air on ITV in 2015, exactly half a century after the adventures of the Tracy clan and International Rescue first aired.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/sep/30/thunderbirds-are-go-itv

Wow, Thunderbirds! That takes me back. They had better stick to puppets though, none of this CGI malarky.

Any word on if they are looking in to Captain Scarlet and Stingray? I know they tried Captain Scarlet back in 2005, but they made the crucial error of thinking that CGI > puppets.

I'm a little giddy with excitement about this news. Gerry Anderson was my childhood.

I got all excited about it when I read about it this morning. However, my excitement was slapped out of me when the article stated "major children's show". I know, I know, T-birds was a children's show. It was also ahead of its time, but I would have love to see a T-bird version more geared for adults. Just like its cousin, U.F.O, a live action series, it was ahead of its time.

• 8 months later...

That Thunderbird 1 looks great! Definitely having high hopes for this!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep UFO and Captain Scarlett where good entertainment.Anybody remember Fireball XL5 and Joe 90?

I didn't watch Fireball XL5, but I saw plenty of Joe 90. I remember thinking that it wasn't as great as the others (Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds) but I still enjoyed it.

<poster>

NO! FOR THE LOVE OF...

I said it a year and a half ago. 3rd post down in this thread. You'd almost think the studio didn't hear me.

Well, I'm sad to say that I'm out.

• Like 1

I have the DVD box set of the originals along with Captain Scarlet and Stingray, (also watched Joe 90 and Fireball XL5) even had a bunch of TB comics and annuals...not sure where they are now tho.

This now officially sucks, part of me hopes it fails just to prove puppets are better, but part of me wants a comeback even if it is terrible.

what's with this fascination with the small group of old fans of all things puppets. when the CGI is more economical, follows the same style and allows it to be done and look better.  had they used puppets it would mostly be made for those that are huge fans of the old show, that's not economical they need to target a much larger audience then that and there's not sensible reason to force the use of puppets. 

what's with this fascination with the small group of old fans of all things puppets. when the CGI is more economical, follows the same style and allows it to be done and look better.  had they used puppets it would mostly be made for those that are huge fans of the old show, that's not economical they need to target a much larger audience then that and there's not sensible reason to force the use of puppets. 

Agism will only get you sent to your room with no supper :p:D