Opinion about Windows Phone

BobSlob

I'm confused... you owned a Windows phone, then tried both Android and IOS, then went back to a Windows Phone. Now you're claiming it sucks?

I'd love to know what you think of offerings. Surely they must be worse than "sucks".

• Like 1
DeadEndAccount

When you mean crashes do you mean the whole screen freezes then reboots or requires a forced reset or are you still able to get back to the start screen? the reason why I ask is I used to have a Lumia 920 with the same problem and it appears that it is most likely a hardware fault and you probably need to take it in to get replaced.

DarkyDan

nyyyyeahh no.

If you don't have the app pinned.. it isn't important enough for you to get notifications.. turn them off for non important apps.

I just bought a Lumia 1020, as a replacement for my Galaxy Nexus.  It is an awesome phone utilising a very good OS (in my opinion)

A notification centre, and ability to close apps from the app switcher are 2 things I'm looking forward to in 8.1 however.

The only App that has crashed on me was Cloudmuzik, so I uninstalled it and used an alternative.

I have only used this phone for 3 days, perhaps some of the problems you mention will reveal themselves to me later... but I doubt it.

Gestures and voice commands aren't important, and they weren't available in any fantastic form in iOS 2 or Android doughnut.

Most of ops post seems to parallel the whinging that anti Windows 8 people do.  Most of it is yearning for a previous OS.. just go back to that previous OS.  It's not that hard.

• Like 2
AWilliams87

When you mean crashes do you mean the whole screen freezes then reboots or requires a forced reset or are you still able to get back to the start screen? the reason why I ask is I used to have a Lumia 920 with the same problem and it appears that it is most likely a hardware fault and you probably need to take it in to get replaced.

I mean the app closes, then I have to restart it from the beginning. For example, a few seconds ago, I was playing UNO with friends. Right in the middle of it, the app froze for half a second, then closed. After I reopen the app, and it restarted everything. Everything I was doing prior was lost.

Darrian

I believe I do. In settings, then extras + info section, it says Lumia Amber.

Then yeah, you do.

George P

We'll see how much GDR3 and 8.1 bring to the table but it's a fact that it's quicker for someone to catch up on feature than to stay ahead with new ones.   WP will parallel the other two quicker than they can keep coming up with new things.   Branding aside this is really WP v2.2  (if you have GDR2 installed that is), while iOS is at 7 and Android is at 4.3.  We'll see where things stand in a few months.

• Like 1
AWilliams87

I'm confused... you owned a Windows phone, then tried both Android and IOS, then went back to a Windows Phone. Now you're claiming it sucks?

I'd love to know what you think of offerings. Surely they must be worse than "sucks".

After using them both, it revealed to me how backwards Windows Phone really is. Simple, rudimentary task requires more effort. And it's missing simple features.

Darrian
The only App that has crashed on me was Cloudmuzik, so I uninstalled it and used an alternative.

I'm curious, what alternative?  I use Cloudmuzik, and it doesn't crash, but it's always been slow.

AWilliams87

nyyyyeahh no.

If you don't have the app pinned.. it isn't important enough for you to get notifications.. turn them off for non important apps.

I just bought a Lumia 1020, as a replacement for my Galaxy Nexus.  It is an awesome phone utilising a very good OS (in my opinion)

A notification centre, and ability to close apps from the app switcher are 2 things I'm looking forward to in 8.1 however.

I have only used this phone for 3 days, perhaps some of the problems you mention will reveal themselves to me later... but I doubt it.

Gestures and voice commands aren't important, and they weren't available in any fantastic form in iOS 2 or Android doughnut.

Most of ops post seems to parallel the whinging that anti Windows 8 people do.  Most of it is yearning for a previous OS.. just go back to that previous OS.  It's not that hard.

Even if they are pinned, it's not as if they're all pinned at the top. It requires more effort to scroll down and search each app until you come across the notification as opposed to the other platforms, which have a central location for them.

incendy

I agree with all your points "except for crashing" but I still do like my 1020 the best. IPhone is probably the best and most mature smart phone at this point but I find it kind of boring with its static icons, I unlock it and feel bored. My Nexus 7 is fun, I love it actually but it is soooo buggy. I have installed the 4.3 update 3 times successfully and the next day it says I have an update that is the same 4.3 I already have :D.

None of them are perfect and the lack of notifications on WP drives me crazy but I still do love Windows Phone the best. I love the email client, I love the pinning of friends on my start screen, I love OneNote/Office and the way it works with SkyDrive and I love my dynamic start screen that welcomes me with new information every time I unlock it. 

Walrush

There are a lot of fixes and features that people are talking about coming GDR3. I will say Microsoft has been doing a great job of updating WP8 this year. The thing that bugs me is that people complain that Microsoft isn't updating the OS enough or quick enough. I think they are rolling out updates more often than Apple or Google, though the issue is they launched the phone with as many features as iOS or Android had when they launched years back. They should have launched WP8 with the same if not more features than iOS or Google had. I've had my Lumia since January and couldn't be happier, but yeah when I look at some of the basic features iOS has had for years now that WP doesn't it does bug me

lol wow. So it bugs you that Microsoft haven't added basic features, even though they've had years to do so, but if WP's userbase complains that they're not going fast enough to add these features, that bugs you as well.

The complaints are because it would be fine to go (slightly) faster than Apple/Google if their phone had these features to start with, but what the Windows Phone team doesn't seem to realize is they've already started a lap behind, they need to sprint, not jog.

DeadEndAccount

I mean the app closes, then I have to restart it from the beginning. For example, a few seconds ago, I was playing UNO with friends. Right in the middle of it, the app froze for half a second, then closed. After I reopen the app, and it restarted everything. Everything I was doing prior was lost.

I'd be tempted to take that in to see whether they can do a clean recovery to see whether that sorts out any possible issues.

AWilliams87

I'd be tempted to take that in to see whether they can do a clean recovery to see whether that sorts out any possible issues.

Well I took your advice. I went into setting, then reset your phone option. The gears have been spinning close to 20 mins now without any progress. This can't be normal?

das reich wolf

That is normal - the more stuff you have, the longer it spins for (had a 920 full to the brim that took well over 3 hours)

das reich wolf

I agree that Windows Phone sucks. However, as the owner of a z10, iPhone 4s, and HTC One, I believe that they all suck in one way or the other. I never use apps as a plus or negative, I use the apps I am interested in to do that, as the OP states, the apps he uses are not up to his requirements.

I use the HTC One as my daily driver, but I carry a Samsung Ativ S in my bag for use within the office. I have found that my mum (who is a technophobe) hated the idea of an android or iOS device as it looked too messy and complicated to her. With WP, I put a large Phone tile, a large message tile, and a large contact tile on the front screen. 3 easy buttons, and she uses it all the time now. The beauty of WP is that it can be made to look as easy as you like or as complex as you like. I wish I could do that with my Venom ROM on the HTC One but I cant.

Arguing the virtues of one phone or ecosystem is a war that cant be won.

• Like 1
primexx

the homescreen is supposed to be the notifications center. unfortunately it seems like MS never fully matured that concept and instead are going to add a more traditional notifications center.

Darrian

Well I took your advice. I went into setting, then reset your phone option. The gears have been spinning close to 20 mins now without any progress. This can't be normal?

The first time I reset my 928 the gears spun for hours and hours and hours.  Like nearly a day when it was all said and done.  The trick that worked for me was unplugging it and letting it wear the battery down till it shut down, then removing the sim and plugging it back in, at which point it will turn back on when it regains enough charge and the reset shouldn't take but 20 min or so.  If the gears spin for more than 3 hours you may start contemplating trying this.  You might certainly want to try it if they're still spinning when you wake up in the morning.

neo158

After using them both, it revealed to me how backwards Windows Phone really is. Simple, rudimentary task requires more effort. And it's missing simple features.

Instead of complaining go back to Android then, the WP community won't miss you!!

• Like 2
vcfan

Instead of complaining go back to Android then, the WP community won't miss you!!

we will all gladly chip in and buy him an android phone.

• Like 1
Luc2k

we will all gladly chip in and buy him an android phone.

Can't have someone badmouthing your precious MS. Although, I am curious if you would actually buy him an equally priced Android (provided he wants one).

• Like 1
AWilliams87

The first time I reset my 928 the gears spun for hours and hours and hours.  Like nearly a day when it was all said and done.  The trick that worked for me was unplugging it and letting it wear the battery down till it shut down, then removing the sim and plugging it back in, at which point it will turn back on when it regains enough charge and the reset shouldn't take but 20 min or so.  If the gears spin for more than 3 hours you may start contemplating trying this.  You might certainly want to try it if they're still spinning when you wake up in the morning.

Okay. Now I don't believe I have the amber update. In Settings > extras + info, it doesn't say "Lumia Amber." When I click "check for update", it does however say up to date. Is there a way to know for sure if I have the latest software?

james.faction

Microsoft has 90,000 employees and recently took on a bunch more from Nokia. So what are all these folks doing? Surely some are developers working on improvements to the experience of Windows Phone?

I wonder how many of them use Android or iPhones as their main phone, haha.

I agree about gestures and notification centre. But I find volume controls are pretty lacking on all smartphones... my S3 clicks at full volume when taking a picture and I dont seem to have any volume control for it at all.

Agree about skype too... it's great for video calling but there is so much more they could be doing with it. Their enterprise version of it Lync has loads more features - but you need an Office365 subscription or a workplace with a Lync server to use that.

Darrian

Okay. Now I don't believe I have the amber update. In Settings > extras + info, it doesn't say "Lumia Amber." When I click "check for update", it does however say up to date. Is there a way to know for sure if I have the latest software?

That's normal until you install the extras+info update I think.  I just reset my phone yesterday, actually, and had the same issue.  And I don't know how to force the app update through the phone, they will just pop up eventually on their own.  Or you can go to the microsoft windows phone store, look at your purchase history, and try to remote reinstall extras+info, glance, display+touch, etc.  I did that yesterday and it updated the extras/info page to show that I had amber, but then most of those components showed an update tonight, almost 24 hours later, so I am wondering if what the store reinstalls is actually a backup of the version you were running at the time it added it to your purchase history?  Anyway, I'm making it sound complicated, but it's really not.  If it shows no updates then you are most likely running the amber firmware, you just have to wait for the Nokia components/apps to update before it'll say so.

Nashy

No it doesn't.

Hitman2000

I love building pcs and having windows and changing thing the way i want. I hate apple for thier limiations and forcing the apple way onto everything. its why i love windows

but when it comes to phones its percisely the reason i hate windows phone.

android is to windows phone

what windows 7 is to apple osx.

if you want to tinker and tweak things the way you want then android is the way to go.

the most frustarting part of my windows phone experience was that i could not simply plug into my pc and drag and drop files into the phone like  i can do with android

everything has to go through skydrive or zune software etc

especily with word documents, i had to upload them to sky drive from my pc and then download them from the phone, how about transferring directly via usb!!!!

i find it hard to believe that like minded people (this ii a  tech forum after all, and most of us are windows fans who enjoy tinkering and tweaking all aspects of our computers) would honestly find windows phone adequate when the like of android exist. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      The Windows Phone Store shuts down today
      by Rich Woods

It's been nearly a year and a half since support ended for Windows Phone 8.1, not that it had even received an update for a couple of years before that. Of course, when support ends, the device still works, although services begin to get shut down. One of those services is the Windows Store. As Microsoft announced in October, the Store for Windows Phone 8.1 is shutting down today, and you can no longer download apps.

The apps you have will continue to work, but if you do a factory reset on your phone, you won't be able to get them back. The only way to continue getting apps on your phone is to upgrade it to Windows 10 Mobile.

That's another issue though, because you actually need an app to get the update, at least the over-the-air update. When Microsoft launched Windows 10 Mobile, it did it for a small subset of devices, mainly those that launched with Windows Phone 8.1 rather than those that upgraded from Windows Phone 8. And it never notified users that there was an upgrade available. You had to know about it, and seek it out yourself by downloading the Upgrade Advisor app.

Luckily, there's a way to still get Windows 10 Mobile, assuming that your phone is supported for the upgrade. You can use the Over-the-Cable Updater tool that Microsoft provides.

Windows 10 Mobile, of course, isn't supported either, but at least you'll have more working services. Most phones that are upgradeable will be able to get up to the Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update (version 1607), with the exception of the Microsoft Lumia 640 and 640 XL, which will land on the Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update (version 1703).

Microsoft was supposed to end support for all versions of the OS this month, but it inexplicably extended support for a month at the last minute. This doesn't apply to devices that shipped with Windows Phone 8.1 though, as none of them were eligible for Windows 10 Mobile version 1709.

• By Rich Woods
      It's finally dead: Windows 10 Mobile is no longer supported after today
      by Rich Woods

Windows phone is dead. This time, it's not figuratively dead, as the narrative has often been. As of today, Windows 10 Mobile version 1709, the final version of the OS, is no longer supported. The last update arrives today as part of this month's batch of Patch Tuesday updates.

The amount of phones affected by this is small, and not just in terms of users. The models that actually got version 1709 were only those that shipped with Windows 10 Mobile. Those that shipped with Windows Phone 8.1 mostly ended their lives at version 1607, with the exception of the Microsoft Lumia 640 and 640 XL, which got version 1703.

Windows Phone began its life in 2010, or at least in the modern form. Windows Phone 7 was, of course, preceded by Windows Mobile, Zune, Pocket PC, and Windows CE. The company celebrated by famously throwing a mock funeral for the iPhone.

In April 2012, Nokia released the flagship Lumia 900, proudly exclaiming that the smartphone beta test is over. By September of that same year, Microsoft released Windows Phone 8, Nokia released the Lumia 920, and the Lumia 900 never got the update, just like the rest of the Windows Phone 7 lineup.

The Lumia 920 seemed to have a hot start, being called Engadget's 2012 Smartphone of the Year. It introduced a PureView camera to the Windows Phone ecosystem, with optical image stabilization. Of course, Windows Phone 8 was probably in its prime when Nokia released the Lumia 1020 in July 2013, which had a 41-megapixel PureView camera, introducing the idea of oversampling. It took the 41MP image and oversampled it down to 5MP, and it kept that big image as a backup, in case you ever wanted to crop it without losing quality.

Later that year was when the Lumia 1520 was announced, and it was the first smartphone with a quad-core processor. Up until that point, Windows Phone has only supported dual-core processors, namely the Snapdragon S4; meanwhile, Android handsets had been using the quad-core Snapdragon 800 for months. That launch event was also where Microsoft announced games like Temple Run 2 and Asphalt 8 were coming to the platform, games that were seemingly past their prime even then. And it also announced social media apps like Instagram and Vine; however, Instagram would never come out of beta until much later, when Windows 10 Mobile launched and it produced a UWP app.

The new quad-core minimum specs on Windows Phone were a precursor to Windows Phone 8.1, which launched in April 2014. The supported chipsets were the Snapdragon 200, 400, and 800. It was just months after Satya Nadella took over as CEO from Steve Ballmer, and the same month that Microsoft finalized its acquisition of Nokia's device's and services division.

Windows Phone 8.1 saw another wide array of devices, most of which were made by Nokia (now Microsoft, although the phones were still branded Nokia for a while). There was also the HTC One M8 for Windows, which was in itself a somewhat exciting handset, since it was the first to have identical hardware to an Android counterpart. For the first time, consumers could walk into a store, choose a device, and pick the OS they wanted.

It was that September when Microsoft announced Windows 10, except it didn't announce a version for phones. This might have been the first writing on the wall that the platform was doomed, that Microsoft would forever prioritize the desktop over mobile, in a world where Apple and Google were willing to do the exact opposite.

At a January 2015 event, Microsoft went more into detail on Windows 10, finally announcing Windows 10 Mobile. Moreover, it promised that Windows 10 would be a free upgrade for anyone running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1. Naturally, many were excited to hear about the upgrade path that they were denied from Windows Phone 7 to Windows Phone 8.

Except it didn't happen like that. Windows 10 for PCs launched on July 29, 2015, but every other Windows 10 platform, such as Xbox and phone, was promised for November. Windows 10 version 1511 was going to be the true Windows 10 release. That October, Microsoft held a big hardware event in New York City, where it announced the Microsoft Band 2, the Surface Pro 4, the first Surface Book, the Lumia 550, the Lumia 950, and the Lumia 950 XL.

Those three handsets were the first three Windows 10 Mobile devices, and they launched that November. At that point, the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices seemed imminent, but it wasn't. Windows 10 Mobile upgrades didn't actually begin shipping until March 17, 2016.

What made matters worse is that it was for a small subset of the devices that Terry Myerson had promised onstage. Essentially, any device that still had a dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor wasn't supported by the new OS. Microsoft hadn't warned anyone that it would break its promise of an upgrade for all Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It simply published a list that very day.

Unfortunately, this update didn't just roll out either. You had to download an app to your Windows Phone 8.1 device and opt into the upgrade. No one ever got a notification that Windows 10 Mobile was available to them. You had to find out about it on your own, and then seek it out on your own.

The next update was the Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update, which shipped in August 2016. For those devices that came from Windows Phone 8.1, this was the final feature update, with the exception of the Lumia 640 and 640 XL, two devices that were championed as being "built for Windows 10", despite having a Snapdragon 400 chipset and 1GB RAM like the Lumia 635, 735, and 830.

At this time though, Microsoft was still announcing new features. While the Lumia 650 that launched earlier in the year was the last Lumia, it was going to be incumbent on third-party OEMs to make devices, rather than Microsoft drowning its own ecosystem with first-party handsets.

HP had taken the wraps off of its Elite x3 earlier that year at Mobile World Congress, and it shipped that fall. Heralded as a "superphone", it was meant to be a three-in-one PC, that could be your phone, a laptop, and a desktop, using Microsoft's Continuum feature and a range of accessories that HP sold. It was also the first Windows phone with the Snapdragon 820 chipset.

On November 1, Alcatel announced the IDOL 4S with Windows 10, and that ended up being the last one. The Snapdragon 820-powered handset actually came with a virtual reality headset, along with a glass back and a metal frame.

Up until early 2017 though, fans still believed that Windows 10 Mobile was still happening. A company called WhartonBrooks tried to crowdfund a Windows phone, the Cerulean Moment, but the plan ultimately failed in a big way.

Then came the Windows 10 Creators Update, or version 1703. It was actually the last full feature update for Windows 10 Mobile. After that, Insider Preview builds started coming from a new 'feature2' branch. Many expected that after a time, it would be merged with the Redstone 3 branch like its PC counterpart, or that Windows 10 Mobile was simply skipping an update, thinking that Microsoft had something bigger and better planned for Redstone 4.

That wasn't the case though. Windows 10 feature2 ended up being version 1709, and it was the final feature update for Windows 10 Mobile. In fact, it wasn't until around that time that Microsoft actually said that it wasn't focusing on phones anymore. But it never came through an official channel, only a tweet from Joe Belfiore. This news came just two months after Belfiore also tweeted about how much Microsoft loves Windows phones.

That final version of the OS is getting its final update today, and if you're still using it, it's time to move on. Microsoft is still going to be making phones; after all, it just announced one. However, the dual-screen Surface Duo runs Android, and it's coming in the holiday season of next year.

Moving forward, your device will still work, and in fact, it will actually be as secure as it would normally be until next month's Patch Tuesday. You can even still upgrade your Windows Phone 8.1 device to Windows 10 Mobile, at least for the next few days. As noted above, you do need an app to do it, and the Windows Phone 8.1 Store will be shut down on Monday, December 16. While the Windows 10 Mobile Store will continue to work, it's only a matter of time until apps' minimum requirements are higher than the build number of Windows 10 Mobile version 1709.

Microsoft also recently announced the end of life dates for its Office UWP apps, which will continue to be available until January 12, 2021. Obviously, Office for iOS and Android will continue to work, since those are really the platforms that you should be using at this point.

• By Rich Woods
      WhatsApp for Windows phones will shut down on December 31
      by Rich Woods

Windows 10 Mobile is now just a few weeks from its last cumulative update, and with the end of support, that means that things are about to stop working. One of those things is WhatsApp, which won't work beginning on December 31, as spotted by WindowsArea.de.

Right now, the app should still work on Windows 10 Mobile, and even Windows Phone 8.1, an OS that hasn't been supported since mid-2017. In fact, if you're still on Windows Phone 8.1, the Store will be completely shut down beginning on December 16. The Store will continue to work on Windows 10 Mobile after support ends on December 10, but obviously WhatsApp will be removed from it on December 31.

WhatsApp is also set to be retired for older versions of Android and iOS, although frankly, it's a bit surprising that these versions even still work. As of February 1, you'll no longer be able to use the service on Android 2.3.7 or iOS 7, both of which are versions that came out well over half a decade ago. Right now, Android 2.3.7 accounts for 0.3% of all Google Play devices, according to Google's most recent usage report.

As always, if you want to keep using WhatsApp, you'll need to upgrade to something newer. If you're still on a Windows phone, it's time to move to iOS or Android.

• By Rich Woods
      The Windows Phone Store will shut down on December 16
      by Rich Woods

Support for Windows Phone 8.1 ended back in July 2017, and while it doesn't receive updates anymore (and wasn't for a long time before that), Microsoft is still shutting down the rest of the things that made it tick. Now, the Redmond company has updated a support page to reflect that the Windows Phone Store will be shut down beginning on December 16.

As of July of this year, app updates have no longer been distributed through the Store, but apparently you've still been able to download new apps. One app that you might want to think about downloading is Upgrade Advisor, which is what you'll need to get Windows 10 Mobile. However, even this app will no longer be available after December 16; after that, you have to use the OTC Updater and side-load the update.

The Microsoft Store on Windows 10 Mobile still works, even though as the support document clearly states, the OS isn't supported anymore. The page also says that "in some cases", support for Windows 10 Mobile will end by the end of 2019; however, none of those cases apply here. That's talking about Windows 10 Mobile version 1709, for which support ends on December 10. Only phones that shipped with Windows 10 Mobile ever got that update.

Devices that upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 mostly could only go up to the Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update, or version 1607. The only ones that could go further than that were the Microsoft Lumia 640 and 640 XL, which could go up to version 1703.

Anyway, if you're still on Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft is recommending that you move to Windows 10 Mobile if you've got an eligible device. Still, it's probably time to move on to iOS or Android.

• By Rich Woods
      HP's canceled Pro x3 Windows phone leaks
      by Rich Woods

Back at Mobile World Congress 2016, HP introduced the Elite x3, the most powerful Windows phone ever. It was meant to be a three-in-one PC, using Microsoft's Continuum feature to allow you to also use it as a laptop or a desktop. It shipped that fall, and the Elite x3 ended up being the second to last major Windows phone release.

But that doesn't mean that HP wasn't working on more Windows phones; indeed, it was. It even showed off a new one at Mobile World Congress the next year. It was only on display though, and HP never commented on it. Images of that device leaked recently, as spotted by Windows Latest. It's not exactly a successor to the Elite x3 though.

As shown in the watermarks, this device would have been called the Pro x3, and some of the specs leaked in late 2017. It would have reportedly had a Snapdragon 820 chipset, 3GB RAM, and 32GB of internal storage. The Elite x3 had shipped with a Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM, and 64GB of storage, and it also had a 1440p OLED display. It's possible that this lower-end unit might have had something like a Full HD LCD panel. You can also see from the images that the Pro x3 lacks the Elite x3's front-facing B&O speakers.

Elite is HP's premium business brand, while Pro is typically for lower-end products (like EliteBooks and ProBooks). Of course, Windows phone is dead and none of this matters, but it can always be fun to take a quick look back at what could have been.