Two SSD's "On Sale" At Amazon. Which One? Samsung 840 or Kingst

Which SSD Drive?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which SSD drive should I get?

• Samsung
    • Kingston
    • Neither brand is good. Wait for another brand.

EDIT -  I see they have this Magician Software, going to go ahead and install it unless I am told not to do so??

the only issue with that software I have seen if your going to play a game close that application first. if you don't it will minimize the game and wont open until the program is closed other then that no issues.

the only issue with that software I have seen if your going to play a game close that application first. if you don't it will minimize the game and wont open until the program is closed other then that no issues.

Will it really do much for me? On their website I do not see any firmware for the EVO, so thinking I am up to date. If it just lets me run speed tests, since I am on SATA II, I almost do not want to know.  :blush:  :rofl:

Honestly I see such an amazing difference all around it is not even funny.

Really wish I did not wait so long.

And I am getting used to Windows 8 now. Took an hour or so, but feel at home more or less. Just need to learn all the shortcuts.

The last bit of my upgrade is complete. I formatted my old regular HDD that I was using to dual boot, so now I have 1.5 TB of storage for good old fashioned HDD's which I will use for Movies, music, and some games on Steam I will not play very often.

Thanks again to everyone for all of their help. No doubt.

Do people recommend doing the Over Provisioning Samsung suggests with their Magician software?

By default, it said to use 10% of the drive, which I would not do. I would change it to 5% if I use it, so wondering if it even makes sense to do so by that point?

I am at work or else I would provide a screenshot, but here is what I am referring to.

Samsung Article 01

Here is some text describing it...

Over Provisioning refers to the practice of leaving a chunk of free space available for use by the SSD controller. The SSD will perform better if it has free space available to use as swap space. Swap space is used to perform routine SSD maintenance (TRIM and Garbage Collection) in the background during idle time, allowing the SSD Controller to prepare free blocks for the OS to use in the future. Because the SSD performs best when writing to free blocks, the result is a better user experience through reduced wait time.

I am just hesitant to use it because that means less space obviously, but if it does help with performance and extended the life of the drive itself, I would no doubt consider using it.

As always, TIA.

How fast does your pc load with the ssd drive compared to your sata drive?

I'm thinking of doing the same myself with my desktop pc. The drive is probably 3 years old so I want to replace it before experiencing another crash drive.

I notice if you buy the drive from samsung http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage you get software that tells you if you are running at top speed and makes adjustments so your running at top speed.

Not sure where you get your information from, but the SandForce controller is no good in terms of reliability, and it's much slower than anything that Samsung offers.  A simple Google search for benchmarks will prove that.

I do not get info on SSD performance from anyone. its my personal experience & not benchmark rated. I share the results after performing real tests