no name member bots

i've been seeing a lot of these (no name) members showing up lately. they're definitely bots & then seem to just post some non english language w/ a link in their status

a bit odd because i didn't think there should be a way to sign up without a username

You aren't required to have a member name until you post, that's one of the "bugs" of IPB and Facebook/Twitter connect, we also can't disable status updates for 0 post posters.

There is a way to do it, but I have to ask about it first.

You aren't required to have a member name until you post, that's one of the "bugs" of IPB and Facebook/Twitter connect, we also can't disable status updates for 0 post posters.

There is a way to do it, but I have to ask about it first.

What about adding nofollow to all forum links?

I've done another workaround, created a second "Members" group which people are promoted to after one post and disabled the ability to add status updates for 0 post/no name members in the "Member" group  ;)

The promotion only takes place after a member has posted once (regardless of current post count).

The two member groups are the same, except for the ability to create status updates for lurkers.