Mass Storage HDD for Video Surveillance System

Normally I'd pick out this sort of thing using the Amazon or Newegg reviews, but I figured this may make for an interesting topic.

I'm setting up a video surveillance system, which will wirelessly record from the camera and store the video on a PC.  And I guess I can setup a server to remotely monitor the camera.

I think this camera will suit the requirement since it's small, has Wifi, has nightvision, etc etc:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharx-Security-VIPcella-IR-SCNC2700-Wireless/dp/B005WFYGH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380721169&sr=8-1&keywords=sharx+camera

Really the only downside is that it doesn't support the greatest video quality, but for the sake of keeping the recordings small, it's probably a fair trade-off.

If anybody has suggestions on alternatives, I'd more than welcome them as well.

Anyway, I haven't had a mechanical HDD in one of my PCs for probably 7-8 years now, so I'm a little out of the game as to what the most reliable brands are.

I'm looking at perhaps a 3TB and just want something that will handle being on 24/7.  It obviously doesn't need to be fast since it's just for storage.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge! :)

Surely 500 GB would be enough? Just set the whole thing to overwrite the oldest video as new footage is recorded.

500 GB will surely store many weeks worth of footage, and why would you want to keep more than a few weeks?

Surely 500 GB would be enough? Just set the whole thing to overwrite the oldest video as new footage is recorded.

500 GB will surely store many weeks worth of footage, and why would you want to keep more than a few weeks?

Very true.  I'm not really sure how big the daily files will be, and it sounds like she wants to have recordings going back at least a month.

This all kind of rooted from a "parking ticket" she apparently got a month ago in a location that she wasn't at.  She received a "late notice" in the mail this week, and she doesn't really have any way of proving she wasn't there. Also she's getting all sorts of dings and scratches on her car from the people who park next to her with a gigantic SUV, so she wants some proof of it happening.  So yeah, I'm assuming something around a month of backups at any given time.

I guess the PC could act as backup storage for other things, so I figured since storage was cheap, a 3TB wouldn't be a bad option.