"The Unexplained Files" on the Science Channel


Recommended Posts

Hum

Frank Baker faced death while earning two Purple Hearts in Vietnam, but the scariest moment of his life came in June 1995.

Baker was in his home in Vermont, when he suddenly burst into flames, an experience he discusses for the first time on "The Unexplained Files," airing Oct. 2 on the Science Channel.

"We were getting ready for fishing and sitting on the couch," Baker said on the episode. "Everything was great. [Friend] Pete [Willey] was sitting next to me [and] we were having a helluva time."

That is, until things started heating up -- literally -- when flames appeared on Baker's body.

"It was the damndest thing I've ever seen," Willey remembered. "Frank was freaking out and making me freak out."

Baker started panicking and tried everything to stop his body from being burned.

"I had no idea what was taking place on my body -- none," he said.

Baker and Willey somehow put out the flames and got to a doctor. But the diagnosis was as shocking as the sudden flames that engulfed his body.

"The doctor called, and said, 'Frank, this burned from the inside out,'" Baker said.

source & video

post-37120-0-44514300-1380722312.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Hum
      SCOTT TOWNSHIP (KDKA) ? A man shopping at a Walmart in the South Hills got more than a bargain while shopping for some bananas.

      He got a pinch from a scorpion.

      The man says a Wal-Mart representative told him even the fruit company was surprised that a scorpion would be able to survive the long journey in a box of bananas.

      It happened at the Washington Pike store around 2 p.m. Wednesday.

      The man, from the South Hills, didn?t want to be identified.

      ?Standing there in a state of disbelief, not really believing that a scorpion had just grabbed onto me in Scott Township,? he told KDKA.

      The man had his 2-year-old and 3-year-old children in the cart when he reached into the box of bananas and felt a pinch.

      ?I yanked my arm out and flung it, and this scorpion flopped to the ground,? he said. ?I was standing there in disbelief looking and there was another shopper there and people started to converge, and sure enough it was a scorpion.?

      The South Hills man threw a lid over and quickly killed it.

      He wasn?t seriously injured, but did see a doctor to check it out. The man says the experience has made him think twice before reaching into a box of bananas again.

      The man says Wal-Mart did offer to pay for his medical bills.

      source
    • By Hum
      SAN CLEMENTE ? A 43-year-old woman is undergoing surgery after two rocks that she collected at a South County beach ignited in the pocket of her shorts, officials from Orange County Fire Authority said.
      The incident happened about 3:30 p.m. Saturday when the woman was standing in her kitchen after returning from an outing to Trestles Beach. She had been home for about an hour when the pocket of her cargo shorts caught fire, OCFA Capt. Marc Stone said.
      The woman tried to stop, drop and roll but was unsuccessful in getting the flames out, Stone said.
      Her husband also tried to help and got second-degree burns when he tried to pull the shorts off, Stone said. The rocks, described as small, the size of a hamburger patty, smooth and orange and green in color, fell from the shorts onto the floor and continued to burn the wood floor and fill the house with smoke.
      Firefighters responded immediately to the home on Avenida Estrella. When they arrived, the husband had successfully gotten the shorts off his wife and was hosing her down on the front deck with a garden hose, Stone said.
      Paramedics treated the woman for severe second- and third-degree burns on her right leg from her thigh to her knee and on her right arm, Stone said. The husband also was treated for second-degree burns on his arm.
      Both were taken to Western Medical Center in Santa Ana. Firefighters took the rocks with them to show to doctors, Stone said.
      "I talked to the paramedic who treated her, and in his 27 years in responding to calls near the beach, he's never seen this," Stone said. "The rocks were still smoking when firefighters took them to the hospital."
      OCFA hazardous materials unit was consulted. The rocks have been taken to Orange County Public Heath and are undergoing testing to see what happened, Stone said. "Tests are expected to take a few weeks because they are dealing with an unknown.
      "There is phosphorous that naturally occurs on the sand at the beach, but no one has ever heard of pants catching fire," Stone said. :iiam:
      source