The First Poster for "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit"

JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT Officially Pushed to January 17, 2014

Source

That's a nail in the coffin.

And is that supposed to be Kevin Costner in the movie poster? Talk about awful photoshopping.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I always pictured Jack Ryan as not so much an action hero but an office worker that gets put in action situations against his will.  More of a geeky character.

if you stay true to the books, that was exactly the case.

Ryan was originally a contract analyst for the CIA (MITRE Corporation, in fact) when a paper he wrote caught the attention of the DDI at the time (the retired Navy Admiral that was played by James Earl Jones in "Hunt for Red October").  However, by then, he had left MITRE and was, of all things, a Wall Street broker/investment analyst (a quieter Jim Cramer) and later professor at the Naval Academy who was merely trying to take a vacation in London with his family when "Patriot Games" kicked off - literally in front of his eyeballs. (Ryan did have military training - he was a Marine lieutenant that suffered a major back injury during a training exercise on the island of Crete and was forced to medically retire.)

Ryan had originally met Dan Murray in his MITRE days during an earlier tour in London (Murray was number three in the legal attache's office then - he was the legal attache during "Patriot Games").

Ryan met Rob Jackson at the Naval Academy - Jackson was at the Academy recovering from a misfiring ejector-seat incident at NAWCAD Patuxent River down the Chesapeake from the Academy (quite plausible - then, and now, NAWCAD Patuxent River is the Navy's test-pilot center AND the eastern test-pilot center for the Air Force as well) and teaching during his recovery.  (This is typical for the military in fact - why wouldn't they want to get use out of someone they spent some serious money training while he temporarily can't do what he's trained for?)

That's the thing with Clancy - he researches the heck out of his novels (his non-faction is actually a byproduct of his fiction); even the whole-cloth inventions (which he tries to point out are, in fact, products of his imagination) are all too plausible.  In that respect, Tom Clancy is like Robert Heinlein - like or hate his books, they do make you think.

His own written books are generally very well researched yeah, but is licensed book can be dreadfully so. I can't believe he even puts his name and approved some of them, some of the writers are half decent, then you have the ones like the guy who had a whole squad of spec ops in the "passenger/cargo" compartment of an AH64 Apache... If I finished that book (don't remember) after that point it was just to finish something I had started...

lol wut

Yeah, I was pretty close to throwing the book in the wall, jumping on it, tearing it to pieces and setting it on fire and sending the ashes to Clancy.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I see the tv ads for this movie, the more I don't want to see it :\ I'd really thought it'd be something like Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell. Looks more like a generic Bourne movie.

Every time I see the tv ads for this movie, the more I don't want to see it :\ I'd really thought it'd be something like Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell. Looks more like a generic Bourne movie.

I'm with you on this.... i was 100% behind it now it's more of a popcorn film..

Chris Pine looks like a wax dummy. In the battle for the popcorn movie Jacks, I favor Reacher over Ryan.

Chris Pine looks like a wax dummy. In the battle for the popcorn movie Jacks, I favor Reacher over Ryan.

Yeah I would as well

The commercials Pine and Costner are doing for the BCS bowl games this year are funny!!

Here are two - the one aired from the Sugar bowl isn't up yet on youtube

Yes, agree. I like Costner

First film I really noticed him in was Silverado, one of my favorite films, then he sort of exploded - Dancing With Wolves etc. Liked him ever since.