Lavabit vs. the FBI

"Verbally, FBI agents actually told me they were going to collect content and passwords," Levison says. "And I had a big problem with that."

So do I. That is wrong, morally if not legally. The American government is going way overboard with all of this. 

Now that the court records have been unsealed, Levison is finally able to explain why the service had to be shut down. Having unfettered access to Lavabit?s SSL certificate was just too much. "They're kidnapping your reputation and using it for their own purposes," Levison says. As long as the service was still active, those keys would allow the FBI to scan everyone's email for keywords or use the certificates for Flame-style malware delivery. 

Just wow. This is evil.

Wow. I had no idea they were in all of this. I used them way way back when I had a @nerdshack.com address.

Wow. I had no idea they were in all of this. I used them way way back when I had a @nerdshack.com address.

You clearly haven't been reading the various articles about this. Lavabit were NOT in all this. They tried to fight it, and when threatened with jail time, THEN gave up the keys and shut down the service.

You clearly haven't been reading the various articles about this. Lavabit were NOT in all this. They tried to fight it, and when threatened with jail time, THEN gave up the keys and shut down the service.

Well I read this article and found all that out... What I said was very vague. "All of this" simply meaning they are in a mess.

Not to be facetious but we've not had "freedom" for a very long time.

we haven't had freedom, since... well... never, there is always someone trying to control everyone else

its stuff like this that makes me upset to live in the USA where the Government just bullies people until they give in. I am sure the USA is not the only country that does this but its just horrible. too bad we just dont use quantum cryptography yet. 

we haven't had freedom, since... well... never, there is always someone trying to control everyone else

Whilst this was true, there was the possibility in the past (and still today in a more limited capacity) to disappear off the grid never to be bothered by those who sought to control you. Today we have cameras everywhere, the recording of everything we do from driving, buying fuel / groceries, our banking transactions, and the information gleaned is shared with lightning speed.

its stuff like this that makes me upset to live in the USA where the Government just bullies people until they give in. I am sure the USA is not the only country that does this but its just horrible. too bad we just dont use quantum cryptography yet. 

I'm sure all the large power countries (USA, UK, Russia, Spain, France, Germany, etc) are doing similar things

too bad we just dont use quantum cryptography yet. 

Sticking "Quantum" in front of something doesn't automatically make it super special magic, y'know. :p

Also, it wouldn't make any difference HOW good the encryption is if organisations like the NSA can just demand the decryption keys and get them.  You might as well just not bother to encrypt at all, then.

Sticking "Quantum" in front of something doesn't automatically make it super special magic, y'know. :p

Also, it wouldn't make any difference HOW good the encryption is if organisations like the NSA can just demand the decryption keys and get them.  You might as well just not bother to encrypt at all, then.

There is also the fact that it will be made illegal to have cryptography at a higher level than the government and its agencies can crack.

It's sort of funny, though. When obviously paranoid, intently murderous and undoubtly sick people warned about this, they were called... obviously paranoid, intently... et cetera. With a tinfoil hat serving. Whatever happened to "I got nothing to hide"?

• Like 2

Suddenly no longer do I care about the american debt crisis.

Let america go bankrupt.

But yes it's true, there has never been anything such as 'freedom'.

It's sort of funny, though. When obviously paranoid, intently murderous and undoubtly sick people warned about this, they were called... obviously paranoid, intently... et cetera. With a tinfoil hat serving. Whatever happened to "I got nothing to hide"?

That is true but I don't think anyone would have thought in their worst nightmares that the government would have taken things this far.