Nokia announces EoL of Symbian, MeeGo apps two years early

Just weeks after announcing plans to sell its devices and services business to Microsoft, Nokia has begun winding down support for the Symbian and MeeGo smartphones OSes.

Nokia has told MeeGo and Symbian app developers they won't be able to submit new apps or update existing ones from 1 January 2014, according to an email Nokia's developer team sent out to developers yesterday. Support was expected until 2016 at the earliest.

More: http://www.zdnet.com/nokia-announces-its-killing-support-for-symbian-meego-apps-two-years-early-7000021739/

But Symbian and especially MeeGo were already essentially dead, this is just admitting reality, don't see how this is in any way MS's fault other than the usual fanboyism 

Microsoft always cares for it's customers, especially in last two years.

Microsoft don't own Nokia yet, so why blame them for this decision? Especially considering both platforms are already long dead.

...And my hopes were just crushed.

Maybe another phone maker should take up Symbian OS

I know not everyone liked it, but I did

So did I. I think it could have been the next big thing, done right. Nokia just screwed the pooch yet again.

• Like 3

So did I. I think it could have been the next big thing, done right. Nokia just screwed the pooch yet again.

Well duh.  Nokia have been screwing that pooch since the advent of smartphones. The poor things had more doses of syphilis than Napoleon! :p

Isn't Trojan Elop still CEO?

How is he a trojan?  Is he carrying a bunch of people around with him infiltrating things without people knowing?

I am pretty sure he stepped down so that he can be transferred over when the deal closed.

You're right, he's just an Executive Vice President awaiting his return to the mothership. My bad!

I see people still don't know what Trojan means.

How is he a trojan?  Is he carrying a bunch of people around with him infiltrating things without people knowing?

I wasn't using the literal sense when I posted that, but now that I think about it, he did go in and took a dump on Nokia. Imagine his ###### as Greek soldiers, maybe that helps.

You're right, he's just an Executive Vice President awaiting his return to the mothership. My bad!

I wasn't using the literal sense when I posted that, but now that I think about it, he did go in and took a dump on Nokia. Imagine his **** as Greek soldiers, maybe that helps.

No, you still don't know what a Trojan is. As a clue, the Nokia board of directors dead hunted him specifically, for the purpose of changing their phone business away from Symbian an primarily onto android. Despite this he did have talks with google before going with WP but google didn't want to give them the freedom MS did. And he explored the android possibility down the road to.

So no, he was not a trojan in any way, shape or form.

Nokia would never have made it without exclusive access to either OS. Since Microsoft was still building Windows Phone, while Samsung, HTC, and eleventy billion other OEMs were polluting the market with Android, Windows Phone became the safer bet. There was room to grow with WP, while there wasn't with Android.

Nokia would never have made it without exclusive access to either OS. Since Microsoft was still building Windows Phone, while Samsung, HTC, and eleventy billion other OEMs were polluting the market with Android, Windows Phone became the safer bet. There was room to grow with WP, while there wasn't with Android.

Their phone division will be gone soon and after 10 years they'll either sell the patents completely or do some trolling. The Nokia most consumers know, will cease to exist soon. Great deal of help the WP was. At least MS got a great deal (which will amount to nothing probably) and some rich people got richer, but the consumer? ###### that guy!

Their phone division will be gone soon and after 10 years they'll either sell the patents completely or do some trolling. The Nokia most consumers know, will cease to exist soon. Great deal of help the WP was. At least MS got a great deal (which will amount to nothing probably) and some rich people got richer, but the consumer? **** that guy!

Oh, goodie, more trolling. Is this all people can do now in regards to Microsoft?

Nokia is and ALWAYShas been a company in change, evolving and changing as needed, never bring afraid to sell or drop or separate divisions. There is no "the Nokia you used to know"

For some that would be monitors, for other tires and so on.

I guess the thing that bothers me most recently is the fact that there will be little to no competition left.

You have regular mobile phones, to which the choice is still good if all you want from the phone is to make and receive calls/texts

jumping to smartphones, there's only 3 now, Apple, Android, and Windows, I just think (naively) there's room for more competition as it would help keep device costs lower and give consumers more choice. 

(I guess I just feel like the smartphone market has become a monopoly <for lack of a better word>)

No, you still don't know what a Trojan is. As a clue, the Nokia board of directors dead hunted him specifically, for the purpose of changing their phone business away from Symbian an primarily onto android. Despite this he did have talks with google before going with WP but google didn't want to give them the freedom MS did. And he explored the android possibility down the road to.

So no, he was not a trojan in any way, shape or form.

How the hell is having the full source code of an open source OS, NOT having absolute full control over the OS?

How the hell is having the full source code of an open source OS, NOT having absolute full control over the OS?

I guess in that context "freedom" means those 5 billions upfront.

They were also supposed to have a say in WP development but considering that just recently Nokia were complaining about the snail pace of such development I don't think that part of the deal did actually amount to anything substantial.

It's also kinda interesting that the point of Nokia going with WP was that WP would give them the chance to compete in the highend/highprofit segment instead of racing to the bottom against Android OEMs because of not being able to compete with Samsung in the highend.

Turns out that Nokia is actually racing to the bottom with their cheap Lumia models anyway.

They can only do so much with that code without losing access to the android name and app store. among other things. 

I guess in that context "freedom" means those 5 billions upfront.

They were also supposed to have a say in WP development but considering that just recently Nokia were complaining about the snail pace of such development I don't think that part of the deal did actually amount to anything substantial.

It's also kinda interesting that the point of Nokia going with WP was that WP would give them the chance to compete in the highend/highprofit segment instead of racing to the bottom against Android OEMs because of not being able to compete with Samsung in the highend.

Turns out that Nokia is actually racing to the bottom with their cheap Lumia models anyway.

Difference is that Nokia's low end models outperform most high end androids, so...