Trouble with "patch Tuesday"

Anyone else not able to install any of the updates?

I tried 3 times installing all at once(just the important updates), and then i tried installing 1 at a time but the result(after restart the os would not boot)was the same.The monitor just blinks, but I get no start screen?!? Had to do a system restore each time.

Hey, signed up just to reply to this!

Yes, had the same problem last night, update froze at about 12% - then after about 15 minutes it said Rebooting.. and now I have the same thing, black screen after the Windows splashs creen.  The backlight of my monitor is going off and on, almost like it's stuck in a resolution change loop / power saving loop.

I can ping my machine from another one but I can't remote desktop into it.

I'll tinker with it when I get home from work, after my first repair/recovery I uninstalled some drivers that I recently installed thinking it may be related to the Radeon beta drivers I was testing, but - seemingly, since after removing the ATI drivers and then rebooting, then trying to update again, now I thinK I've lost the pre-patch tuesdays system restore point :\

Just did our first wave of updates in my enterprise last night - probably in the order of 150 servers, and no issues experienced so far.. but those updates are coming off a corporate WSUS server, and not directly from Microsoft. So not sure if the problem is with an update, or with their update distribution system..? 

Yeah I didn't have any issues on my Thinkpad T520 - all without a hitch.  I suspect it may be some unique hardware configuration or something else.  I'm not entirely sure.  Apart from the OP and myself, I haven't seen any other results via Google with this problem.

All installs for me installed fine, that was 28 hot-fixes, however it changed some driver on my external u.s.b. 3 2 t.b. h.d.d.

So I spent 2 hours sorting that out, to today (Thursday 30 hours later) it is fine.

Meh, the restore point I have doesn't work now, same malarkey, boots to the splash screen, then instead of the login prompt I get the on/off/on/off like it's changing video modes non-stop.  Can't do a restore or even get into safe mode.

I can ping my machine, I can access it's remote shares.

I'm 99% sure it's not that the GPU has died or anything, possibly it's some ATI driver issue after the update.

No problems installing at home, however, every one of our XP machines at work (about 15 or so remaining xp machines) is experiencing an untrusted relationship with our domain at the moment its very annoying.

Meh, the restore point I have doesn't work now, same malarkey, boots to the splash screen, then instead of the login prompt I get the on/off/on/off like it's changing video modes non-stop.  Can't do a restore or even get into safe mode.

I can ping my machine, I can access it's remote shares.

I'm 99% sure it's not that the GPU has died or anything, possibly it's some ATI driver issue after the update.

That's the common denominator it seems ... the ATI cards Don't know what the solution to that would be tho

That's the common denominator it seems ... the ATI cards Don't know what the solution to that would be tho

Jus tout of interest, are you using uxtheme patcher or any mods for Visual Styles?

Yes I am are you?

Yeah, I found some Google hits when I searched for this issue, but - may not be related.

When I first had the update fail on me, I recovered, uninstalled uxtheme patcher, some USB driver for a Korg synthesizer I have, and ATI - I wasn't sure and was just trying to remove new/potential culprits.

So obviously this gave me a new system restore point, the older one is no longer there, now I cna't restore at all.

Going to now see if I can hunt down the original system files and manually replace.

Weirdly though, after ux theme patcher uninstalling, nothing brong, and I also checked with sfc /scannow - but since I tried to update the last time, all the woes have really kicked in.

Update: I replaced all the files uxtheme modified, no joy.  Just for fun I moved out all the ati*.* files from system32, syswow64 and the windows root folder, same issues. Safe mode still will not boot (black screen).

Time to whip out the bootdisks and format the sucker and spend 30 hours reinstalling 500GB of audio software that I use.. fun!

Interesting, left a 41 update install running before I went to bed last night and haven't checked it yet (at work currently typing this).

Will find out when I get home to see if its knackered or not :(

yesterday my windows 8 laptop reported that it had to reboot to install updates; there were 41 (!) of them, that being too much considering i have automatic updates turned on. so i rebooted and after more than an hour just to pass a single update (i have to see which one was the culprit) it was all good.

And if you try to boot into Windows 8 using a forced low resolution?

Enable low-resolution video: Starts Windows 8 using your current video driver and using low 640x480 resolution and refresh rate settings. You can use this mode to reset your display settings, or to use a television monitor with your computer if needed.

How-to: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4924-advanced-startup-settings-boot-windows-8-a.html

Just a thought. :)

My Windows 8 machine got stick at 12% configuring updates, I thought it locked up after 10 mins so I shut it off turned it back on and it went back to 12% then I just left it alone and finally at some point ( Can't remember how long) it rebooted now all is fine.

My Media center with windows 7 also got stick at configuring updates but didn't take that long.

Mine updated last night, and when it rebooted, it took at least 20 minutes as it was 'cleaning up' and doing all the install stuff before it finally finished booting.

it works fine now tho, not sure why it took so long

And if you try to boot into Windows 8 using a forced low resolution?

Yes, I tried that - nothing worked. Sadly!

I finally had to uninstall the 13.9 drivers and reinstall the 13.4 drivers.......seems to have taken care of the problem

Before it went totally bottom up, I tried uninstalling the ATI drivers, then updating, same issues, but then after that, I couldn't use a restore point, glad you got sorted, though!

I've since re-installed, still have a LOT of work ahead, using the default ATI drivers that come with Windows update, have applied ALL updates, and it's fine so far, including the update for ATI drivers from Windows Update.

Once all my software is installed I'll make an image using CloneZilla and then install the latest stable ATI drivers.

What a weird mess this has been.