Fed up of waiting for GDR2 time to do it manually

Steven P.

Exciting!

post-2-0-35221200-1381401150.png

Thanks to Arkos Reed for helping me with the link to the Nokia Software Updater. (read the site carefully before you attempt to do it yourself).

My 520 is retail and not carrier specific btw.

Will post results :p

• Like 3
Steven P.

It worked for me :)

• Like 2
Steven P.

Just waiting for my apps to sync now.

Daedroth

Looks good! Shame I have a HTC. :(

Crimson Rain

Just waiting for my apps to sync now.

Is it clean install or upgrade?

If that is upgrade, it means annoyance.

- setup all email/facebook/nokia etc accounts

- apps need to be installed one by one from windowsphone.com

- start screen layout messed up

- app settings gone

- game progress gone

- contact links messed up

I do not understand why these things can not be backed up in cloud and restored when someone logged in with their Microsoft account...

Ironman273

I'm in the same boat with my 920 but the Nokia software doesn't list GDR2 as an option.  I'm stuck with my current version until AT&T decides to get off their ass. :(

Steven P.

It's a clean install.

What happened to me:

- Upgraded GDR2 > Firmware

- Setup Windows Phone (as if it's new)

- Choice to sync apps and settings (or start with a clean slate)

- I synced apps and settings and was prompted for my Facebook password and Email accounts

- It took about 20mins to sync all my apps

Back where I started before, but I have to verify WhatsApp, enter user/pass for Twitter etc..

Edit: Contacts were synced too :)

francescob

"Fed up of waiting for GDR2 time to do it manually"

Blasphemy! You have to wait for months and savor the bugs like everybody else! God Ballmer won't be pleased.

How can you not understand that phones work differently depending in the country you're in? My retail Lumia 520 was potentially incompatible with al-dente spaghetti and Nokia clearly needed those three-four months to avoid an overcooked pasta apocalypse.

• Like 2
Geoffrey B.

the sad part about the release schedule for some of the devices is that by the time they release GDR2 on some of the devices GDR3 will be releasing on others. Very similar to what was happening with Android for a while.

Also, you arent missing out on much with GDR2

Arkos Reed

the sad part about the release schedule for some of the devices is that by the time they release GDR2 on some of the devices GDR3 will be releasing on others. Very similar to what was happening with Android for a while.

Also, you arent missing out on much with GDR2

Datasense alone makes it a worthwile upgrade, the bug/self bricking corrections aren't trivial either

c.grz

I just shipped back my 925 because it was experiencing the "dead phone" symptoms.  I spent a few days researching how to resolve the issue myself and after a few days of being unable to revive my phone; I shipped it back.

Well glad it worked for you! I've downloaded this app and now I'm ready if it happens again!!!

• Like 1
beanboy89

Nice. Thankfully my AT&T 520 came with GDR2 and Amber out of the box. It's running really smoothly here. Hope I get GDR3 when it's ready.

Sandor

Datasense alone makes it a worthwile upgrade, the bug/self bricking corrections aren't trivial either

I don't have GDR2...but I do have Data Sense.

Arkos Reed

I don't have GDR2...but I do have Data Sense.

Because your carrier elected to use it in their Rom version. It was optional before GDR2.

ShadowMajestic

Also the benefits of a lot longer battery duration. a 5 times as fast booting of the system (took aaaaaages before). Overal responsiveness of the entire system(fps drops are almost nonexistant). Not to mention some Amber goodies for the Lumia owners.

• Like 1
PUC_Snakeman

GDR2 is now available for the AT&T Lumia 920, through the normal channel, Settings -> Phone Update.
My phone is updating right now (it's been on a gears animated icon for several minutes)

• Like 1
Steven P.

My work here is done /thread.

• Like 1
primexx

Retail phones should all have gotten it by the end of September already.

BajiRav

GDR2 is now available for the AT&T Lumia 920, through the normal channel, Settings -> Phone Update.

My phone is updating right now (it's been on a gears animated icon for several minutes)

My phone updated fine but wife's phone (both 920s) started showing weird problems after the update. The phone completely lost all sound, couldn't play any music or ringtones. Phone calls could be answered but no sound from the other end.

I ended up hard resetting it after several reboots didn't fix the problem.

Now the phone is in endless loop of spinning gears. A quick search shows many such reports on nokia forums. None of the solutions on the forums are working for me.

I guess the phone is going for warranty repairs tomorrow.

Be warned, back up before you update.

spenser.d

Disappointed that AT&T still won't give us Data Sense, but not the end of the world.  Really enjoying the updates so far besides that :D

beanboy89

Disappointed that AT&T still won't give us Data Sense, but not the end of the world.  Really enjoying the updates so far besides that :D

Still wanting DataSense. Wish we'd get it on AT&T.
Steven P.

My phone updated fine but wife's phone (both 920s) started showing weird problems after the update. The phone completely lost all sound, couldn't play any music or ringtones. Phone calls could be answered but no sound from the other end.

I ended up hard resetting it after several reboots didn't fix the problem.

Now the phone is in endless loop of spinning gears. A quick search shows many such reports on nokia forums. None of the solutions on the forums are working for me.

I guess the phone is going for warranty repairs tomorrow.

Be warned, back up before you update.

Wow that's weird if they are the same phone, Were they retail or carrier? :s

I did point out to read the site carefully and said mine is retail. Hope you are able to get it sorted!

jakem1

Is it clean install or upgrade?

If that is upgrade, it means annoyance.

- setup all email/facebook/nokia etc accounts

- apps need to be installed one by one from windowsphone.com

- start screen layout messed up

- app settings gone

- game progress gone

- contact links messed up

I do not understand why these things can not be backed up in cloud and restored when someone logged in with their Microsoft account...

Some of your list is true but if you restore from backup all your apps will be automatically installed and all your accounts will be automatically configured.  I've never had any problem with linked contacts either.  I agree that it's a shame that app settings and start screen layout aren't backed up but you can be up and running after a clean install pretty quickly in my experience.

• Like 2
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      HMD introduces the Nokia 1.4 with a larger display and a fingerprint sensor
      by João Carrasqueira

HMD Global, the Finnish company responsible for Nokia-branded phones, has announced the latest of its entry-level series of phones, the Nokia 1.4. The new device brings some notable improvements to the Nokia 1 series, while keeping a very similar price tag.

The Nokia 1.4 has a 6.51-inch HD+ "edge-to-edge" display with a 20:9 aspect ratio, which is much larger than previous members of the family. Despite having relatively small bezels on the sides and top, it still houses the Nokia logo at the bottom.

The display has a cutout for the front-facing camera, which is a 5MP unit. Over on the back, the camera setup is the first to feature dual cameras in the Nokia 1 series. It has a primary 8MP camera along with a 2MP macro lens, and the camera experience is powered by Camera Go, Google's app for Android Go devices, and it supports features like night mode, in addition to having an LED flash.

Below the camera setup is a fingerprint sensor, another first in the Nokia 1 series, so you can unlock the phone without typing in a PIN every time. The back itself appears to be textured to give it a better grip.

As to what's inside the phone, the Nokia 1.4 is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 215 just like its predecessor, meaning it has four Cortex-A53 cores at 1.3GHz. It also has up to 3GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage but this will vary by market. The battery is 4,000mAh and promises to last two days on a charge, like most Nokia phones. The phone runs Android 10 (Go edition) out of the box, but Nokia says it's Android 11-ready, so the update shouldn't take too long to roll out.

The Nokia 1.4 is available from today and there are three configurations available - 1GB of RAM with 16GB of storage or 32GB of storage, or 3GB of RAM with 64GB of storage. The phone comes in three colors: Fjord (blue), Charcoal, and Dusk (purple). It starts at €99.

• By indospot
      Nokia finally begins Android 11 rollout with the Nokia 8.3 5G
      by João Carrasqueira

It's been some time coming, but Nokia has begun rolling out the Android 11 update to its phones, starting with the Nokia 8.3 5G. The Finnish company seems to be significantly behind its schedule, as the original roadmap stated that the update would begin rolling out in the fourth quarter of 2020, and we're almost halfway into the first quarter of 2021.

Android 11 is naturally a significant update, like most Android version updates. Since Nokia phones run fairly vanilla builds of Android, the news in this update boils down to the same updates announced by Google. The update brings a new Conversations section in the notification dropdown, app bubbles (similar to Facebook Messenger's "chat heads" but for more apps), a built-in screen recorder, smart home controls in the power menu, and more.

As for who can get the update, it's a typical Nokia affair. The rollout is being done in waves starting with a few select markets, which are the following:

Bahrain Belgium Denmark Egypt Finland

France Hong Kong Iceland Iran Iraq Jordan Kuwait Lebanon Libya Lithuania Macau Morocco Norway Oman Pakistan Qatar Saudi Arabia Sweden Tunisia UAE USA Vietnam Even in these markets, the rollout is being done gradually. 10% of users in these markets should see the update today, and that should increase to 50% of users by Friday, February 5. It will be available to everyone in these markets on February 7.

With the Android 11 rollout now underway, Nokia has some catching up to do. At least eight other phones were initially planned to get the update in the first quarter of the year, which might be a challenge at this point.

• By indospot
      Nokia and Vodafone trial 100 gigabit broadband speeds
      by João Carrasqueira

Nokia and Vodafone have announced that they've become the first companies to trial 100Gbps broadband internet on a fiber passive optical network (PON). The speeds were possible on a single PON wavelength, and they're about 10 times faster than "the most advanced networks" available right now.

The trial was conducted by Nokia and Vodafone in the latter company's lab in Eschorn, Germany. The 100Gbps was achieved using existing 25Gbps optics combined with special digital signal processing (DSP), which seems to be the focus of the trial. Nokia says that once this DSP technology is adopted, it should be relatively simple to scale up to 50Gbps or 100Gbps, and those speeds could be commercially available in the second half of this decade.

The prototype tested in this trial is also the first application of flexible rate transmission in a passive optical network. This technology groups fiber modems with similar network characteristics, such as loss or dispersion, to improve latency on the network and reduce power consumption in half. This kind of technology could eventually help create more scalable networks to combat congestion during peak times.

Gavin Young, head of Fixed Access Centre of Excellence at Vodafone, commented on the potential for this technology:

As mentioned above, it will take some time for these speeds to potentially be available for the general public, but these trials do indicate that we're slightly closer than we were before. We'll have to wait for the technology to see further testing and widespread implementation in the coming months and years.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Nokia 8.3 5G is going for a $120 discount on Amazon
      by Jay Bonggolto

Amazon is offering the Nokia 8.3 5G with a $120 discount right now. The phone is going for $579, down from its original retail price of $699.

For that price, you'll get 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. The device comes in Polar Night and it is unlocked for all carriers.

Announced in March of last year alongside the Nokia 5.3 and Nokia 1.3, the Nokia 8.3 5G was the first device to use Qualcomm's 5G RF Front end module. It's powered by a Snapdragon 765 SoC and sports a 6.81-inch FullHD+ PureDisplay.

On its back, it has a PureView quad-camera setup with a 64MP main sensor and ZEISS branding. The camera module is housed in a circular bump with Nokia's logo to its south. It's backed up by a 4,500mAh battery.

The device was launched in the U.S. in the fall of 2020 a few months after its debut in Europe, where it is available with 6GB of RAM and 64GB of storage in addition to the higher memory configuration. If you want to snap up the phone today, the Nokia 8.3 5G is available to purchase for $579 via Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By indospot
      Nokia 5.4 is HMD's latest mid-ranger, packing a Snapdragon 662 for €189
      by João Carrasqueira

After introducing the entry-level Nokia C1 Plus just yesterday, HMD Global is now back with a new mid-range model, the Nokia 5.4. The Finnish company has been refreshing some of its smartphones multiple times throughout the year, with the Nokia 5.3 announced just a few months ago.

The Nokia 5.4 curiously packs a Qualcomm Snapdragon 662 chipset, which is an apparent downgrade from the Snapdragon 665 of its predecessor. Based on Qualcomm's spec sheet, though, the Snapdragon 662 does have a better image signal processor, promising zero shutter lag and support for 48MP cameras.

That's exactly what HMD is promising for the Nokia 5.4, which is likely to be an advantage for most users. There's also support for 60FPS recording, as well as a 24FPS cinematic mode, which can record video in the typical 21:9 format of theater movies, plus "professional color grading". The rest of the camera setup includes a 5MP ultra-wide camera, a 2MP depth sensor, and a 2MP macro camera. Over on the front, there's a 16MP camera.

The 6.53-inch display comes in at HD+ resolution in the 19.5:9 aspect ratio, and it has a punch-hole front-facing camera. The Nokia 5.4 also has a 4,000mAh battery, which HMD says should last up to two days on a charge or, as the company puts it, 42 commutes (assuming an average 67-minute commute). The battery only charges at 10W, however. In terms of software, the phone is running Android 11, and as usual, the company promises two years of major software updates and three years of security updates.

The Nokia 5.4 is available now in select markets for €189. It comes with Polar Night (blue) and Dusk (pink) colors.