Zuckerberg buys neighboring homes for millions

Mark Zuckerberg just made an unusual purchase.

Well, four purchases.

Facebook's billionaire founder bought four homes surrounding his current home near Palo Alto, Mercury News reports. The houses cost him more than $30 million, including one 2,600 square-foot home that cost $14 million.  (His own home is twice as large at 5,000 square-feet and cost half as much.)

Larry Page made a similar move a few years ago so he could build a 6,000-square-foot mansion. But Zuckerberg's reason is different. He doesn't want to live in excess, he just wants a little privacy.

Zuckerberg reportedly took action after he learned that a developer wanted to purchase one of his neighbor's homes and use the fact that Zuckerberg lived close by as a marketing tactic. He started purchasing the homes last December. Zuckerberg will lease the four homes he just bought back to its current residents.

It's sad yet ironic that Zuckerberg has to go through great lengths to protect his privacy. Yesterday news broke that Facebook was removing yet another privacy feature. Soon, even people who wish to remain hidden from Facebook searches will have no choice but to be searchable on the social network.

source

or you could spend nearly no money at all and move out where there arent people.

my parents own 1250 acres of land 

Which comes out to 54,450,000 square feet.

it cost them a total of $6000 25 years ago.

"Soon, even people who wish to remain hidden from Facebook searches will have no choice but to be searchable on the social network"

Is this speculation or actually going to happen? 

"Soon, even people who wish to remain hidden from Facebook searches will have no choice but to be searchable on the social network"

They're removing the option to not be found from the search bar, mainly because most people didn't use the option (if you didn't have it enabled, you haven't been able to choose to enable it for a while now) and you could still find those people through other means anyways.

You can kinda tell facebook is moving from the original idea to a advertisement based system like google had to provide more revenue but its moving slowly so people dont recognise it... i barely use it cus i cant be arsed.. if i want talk my mate ill phone or text him... csan understand how its useful bout getting back in touch with school firends and stuff etc but theres a limit, facebok wil become an intranet of sorts everything there but ooutsources links to provide the funds to create the "intranet" dunno if that analogy is sound but im drunk and thats the best i can speak about atm which i do believe is tyrue

Really? Does this mean they're finally going to put a gun to my head and force me to create a Facebook account?

Really? Does this mean they're finally going to put a gun to my head and force me to create a Facebook account?

No it means existing users who opt-out of searching will not have that option going forward...

Soon, even people who wish to remain hidden from Facebook searches will have no choice but to be searchable on the social network.

source

That is when I delete my account. ###### that. 

or you could spend nearly no money at all and move out where there arent people.

my parents own 1250 acres of land 

Which comes out to 54,450,000 square feet.

it cost them a total of $6000 25 years ago.

$6000 for 1250 acres? I wish there were still prices like that these days...

yup. It's extremely ironic that someone that made a service that gives nobody privacy, expects privacy himself.

:rolleyes:

It's not really the same thing.  Plus he's not expecting privacy - he knew he couldn't get it without action, so he acted and bought up the property around him.  Not sure where you guys are getting this expectation bit from.

yup. It's extremely ironic that someone that made a service that gives nobody privacy, expects privacy himself.

Or you could just not use FB, no one's forcing you to use it OR post every insignificant detail of your day on it, and if you chose to do all that then you pretty much gave up your "right: of privacy already

unfortunately, $6000 25 years ago isn't the same as $6000 in 2013.

According to the inflation calculator $6000 then is worth $10940 now. so still really cheap lol.

unfortunately, $6000 25 years ago isn't the same as $6000 in 2013.

Even accounting for inflation, I don't think $6000 is that much..?

Edit: just saw the post above this - $10,940? Hell I'd happily pay that much for that acreage :D

(Though I guess the land is now worth much more than $10K :P )

With that kind of money, I would have just purchased several thousand acres somewhere far out and build a great wall like no one has ever seen and hire a security team. Although I don't see the big deal here and it's almost ironic in a way.

I've heard but can't confirm that I heard CIA money went into zuckerbergs monolith Facebook as a means of keeping tabs on people

Removing Privacy on Facebook, and buying his own on Real Life.

Clever move, the change on FB privacy will pay all that and plenty more in 1 month. Zuk feels, acts and just smells...a very sad person. He is a Billionaire that will leave for ever tormented by his start. I hope im wrong on this, happiness is what i wish to all, but this fellow as a big karma on his back, i don't think he is that clever and i think he knows that too. He made a good move on the very start of his career, made him billionaire but not happy.

Facebook eventually will perish, this privacy moves will be the end of it, but his fortune will remain for sure.

No, but it might annoy those of us who created Facebook accounts with an understanding that we can remain private to all but friends. 

Seems unreasonable to change such a long-established feature. 

grik, on 11 Oct 2013 - 21:45, said:

Removing Privacy on Facebook, and buying his own on Real Life.

Clever move, the change on FB privacy will pay all that and plenty more in 1 month. Zuk feels, acts and just smells...a very sad person. He is a Billionaire that will leave for ever tormented by his start. I hope im wrong on this, happiness is what i wish to all, but this fellow as a big karma on his back, i don't think he is that clever and i think he knows that too. He made a good move on the very start of his career, made him billionaire but not happy.

Facebook eventually will perish, this privacy moves will be the end of it, but his fortune will remain for sure.

lol, no don't be daft. He's as happy as a woodpecker in a lumber yard. He just doesn't want jerks moving near him to use it as an exploit or gimmick, like a movie star doesn't want a paparazzi guy moving in next door.

He doesnt seem happy person, and his project isnt a big deal, i dont see him as a happy person, i dont see any action from him that confirms that.

In fact recently some foreign dude hacked his facebook account, before hacking the account he tried to report the bug on FB support and got nothing, no nothing. Then to prove the bug he just hacked the owners profile: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/19/tech/social-media/zuckerberg-facebook-hack/index.html

Do you know what Zuk did? nothing, he should be happy that the hacker didnt sold the bug to some corporation or something worst. Little moves that prove that he is a creep that caught the right moment to steal a good idea, he had the merit of expanding it. The privacy push will kill facebook just before we know.

He is greedy bastard, thats the main picture that everyone has of him.