Fonts are crappy in Firefox ...

This is on a Win XP computer with an Asus hi-def monitor.

Picture shows a comparison between IE 8 and Firefox 24.

Anything I can do to improve Firefox text ?

Thanks ...

post-37120-0-69435000-1381586368.png

There's some settings you can fiddle with to get it to how you like such as adjusting the font rendering mode, etc, don't know them off the top of my head as I haven't had to mess with them in ages, easy Google search. There's a couple addons to do it for you too, such as the one below, might be worth looking at. (I haven't tried it, just first one I found.)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/anti-aliasing-tuner/

45028.png?modified=1331247702

Edit -- never mind the above addon, I see you're still using XP, missed that part, this is only for tuning Direct2D and DirectWrite, won't have access to those.  Will need to do it by hand.

This might be worth looking: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-get-mac-os-or-linux-style-font-smoothing-in-windows/

If your GPU support Hardware Acceleration then why not trying using it. I think Firefox does not do HW accelerated font rendering on XP and neither does MS provide it. I could be wrong.

Try this MS tool as well: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartypepowertoy.mspx

Firefox versions actually sometimes have trouble with hardware acceleration regarding font rendering. try turning it OFF if it is on. menu path = tools - options - advanced -general. untick H/w accel. box.

Um use a current OS ;) Not one created 10 some years ago.

What hardware are you running on?  Your using a Ancient OS and browser (8) that came out what 4.5 years ago.. Vs a browser version as of last month?

Sorry couldn't help my self...

• Like 2

Um use a current OS ;) Not one created 10 some years ago.

Sorry couldn't help my self...

12 years ago. Were it a child Windows XP would now enter sixth grade.

This is the advantage of WDDM and Vista/ 7 / 8. You'll get better rendering with a modern OS. Unsure what to do for XP, as lot of the text smoothing techniques are not available.

Use the ClearType Powertoy tuner.

Have you enabled ClearType on Windows XP?

This was the only helpful suggestion, and it did help.

Thank you. :)

right click/Display properties/Appearance tab/Effects button/

post-37120-0-09663900-1381597002.png

Clearly the "Best Answer" is his then - not yours quoting his.. :rolleyes:

Amazing how simple a concept and users still don't get it..

Now if nobody suggested cleartype, and you came back and said - hey I found this works, then you could mark your own post as best answer.

Huh, would have figured that making sure ClearType was actually turned on would have been the first thing you'd have checked.