Post creator in Safari on iPad broken in Desktop view

It seems that all that rich functionality of an editor -- being able to embed images, put stuff in spoiler tags, etc -- has gone as this is how it looks now on my iPad in Safari in Desktop view.

u4VqNd9.jpg

The only reason it is an image is because I remembered my HTML tags or it would have been a link instead.

May I ask what happened and if it will be rectified?

Cheers.

Safari in IOS7 is really bad. Videos, layouts, and almost everything is janky and near broken. I like the UI, but you are stuck with alternative browsers now. Try Dolphin. 

Safari in IOS7 is really bad. Videos, layouts, and almost everything is janky and near broken. I like the UI, but you are stuck with alternative browsers now. Try Dolphin.

In the 3rd post, I did mention that I am running iOS 6.1.3 ;)

In the 3rd post, I did mention that I am running iOS 6.1.3 ;)

Just throwing out ideas. Sometimes people miss stuff when they are frustrated. 

Did you clear out the site data then? IOS6 would give me problems with that sometimes, especially with javascript items. If that doesn't work, it may have been a site change; javascript version upgrade or something like that. 

Just throwing out ideas. Sometimes people miss stuff when they are frustrated. 

Did you clear out the site data then? IOS6 would give me problems with that sometimes, especially with javascript items. If that doesn't work, it may have been a site change; javascript version upgrade or something like that. 

I do suspect that it is a site change, hence here I am asking in this forum as to what's going on.

But Dolphin for iOS is just a WebView using an identical rendering engine to Safari on iOS (due to platform limitations) with a different chrome around it. And, again due to platform limitations, it's restricted in its ability to execute javascript using the same technology Safari can leverage so actually runs significantly slower when running most modern javascript reliant websites.

Unless your issue is entirely with the chrome of the browser, there is never a good argument for using an alternative browser. And your complaints about video and layouts would never be fixed by using an alternative browser that has an identical rendering engine.

I'm also incredibly interested to hear some justification to your "janky and near broken" comments!

But Dolphin for iOS is just a WebView using an identical rendering engine to Safari on iOS (due to platform limitations) with a different chrome around it. And, again due to platform limitations, it's restricted in its ability to execute javascript using the same technology Safari can leverage so actually runs significantly slower when running most modern javascript reliant websites.

Unless your issue is entirely with the chrome of the browser, there is never a good argument for using an alternative browser. And your complaints about video and layouts would never be fixed by using an alternative browser that has an identical rendering engine.

I'm also incredibly interested to hear some justification to your "janky and near broken" comments!

Liveleak and other sites that use embedded youtube videos on my ipad 2 caused the majority of the problems. The audio will start for sometimes up to five seconds before the video was visible. When pausing, the delay could take up to five seconds as well. Sites like ebaumsworld native videos are fine though, as long as they are not the embedded videos mentioned before. The other problem was the app crashing; before and after updates. I was starting to think my ipad was at the end of it's road. 

As far as the 3rd party browsers, it appeared as if they were using HTML5 when Safari was using Javascript. I am not a programmer but I am aware of the Javascript direct access limitations. The performance difference was quite extraordinary though. Another benefit is forcing desktop, mobile, and default viewing preferences, which could increase performance or the affected sites too.

Thankfully, all of the problems pretty much went away after the iOS 7.0.3 update. At this point, it doesn't matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it likely to be resolved soon or is it a significant obstacle? It would be good to know this to set expectations.

Did you upgrade to iOS 7 yet?

Just a thought,. now that Tapatalk is free, give that a shot?

I tried, but I couldn't bring myself to liking it. Having to jump back and forth between 2 apps isn't the best experience either.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, the post editor has always been text only for iPads.... at least it always was on my end, be it iOS 6 or 7.

To be honest, the post editor has always been text only for iPads.... at least it always was on my end, be it iOS 6 or 7.

Unfortunately, I can't go back to the past to show when it was working. However, it should still work properly.

• 4 weeks later...

Since it is still not working properly, I thought I would add that the forum does not seem to have a way to reveal text hidden by spoiler tags when viewing in Safari on iPad. My current workaround is to select and copy+paste the text somewhere else to reveal what is masked.