Need feedback on my website.

Question

Hi all,

I've been really working on my own WordPress website for sometime now and I am looking for some feedback from you all.

http://www.illage2.co.uk

If you have any recommendations for me I'd appreciate it, as I am always looking to make it better.  I've recently managed to make a separate theme for those viewing on mobile devices and tablets.

Basically the website is there for me to post my opinions on tech and gaming news in general.

If this counts as spam then I apologize.

Thanks.

20 answers to this question

Ignore the video playing on my screen too, but on my tablet you can see the elements overlapping. This happens in both orientations. 

post-350302-0-28197100-1381740161.png

The mobile menu button is visible on desktop.. the header background should be the same colour as the background.. apart from it looking a little messed in places on tablet it looks really nice.

Ignore the video playing on my screen too, but on my tablet you can see the elements overlapping. This happens in both orientations. 

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2013-10-14-09-41-24.png

You mean the post title? That's the image I used, not the design its self.  I have to find another image to use but thanks :)

I find the text to be quite large on a desktop view, but I just scale it down a bit (to about 75%) for an easier view. There also appears to be something on all the pages that I went to that seems to load indefinitely. But that might be to do with being connected in the office and not at home.

Aside from that though, I really like it.

I'll cut to the chase, sorry for bluntness: 73 assets and 1.7Mbytes.... what's the point of making such a slow site responsive for mobile? It needs serious optimisation. One of the images is 800KB.... that's just crazy. (edit: just realised it's adaptive, not responsive, so this comment is not valid, sorry.)

I like the look of it on the surface though :)

Also, why is the look and feel so different on the mobile version? The desktop design is nicer and more modern. It's actually confusing as a reader to change so dramatically between devices.

Having a completely separate mobile theme these days is a bad idea IMO, you can easily target any modern phone using a "responsive" design.

And the funny thing is, your "desktop" design looks fine on my N7, my only complaint is that there's an unneeded margin between the content and the sides of the device. It certainly beats an old looking iOS design.

• Like 1

Having a completely separate mobile theme these days is a bad idea IMO, you can easily target any modern phone using a "responsive" design.

And the funny thing is, your "desktop" design looks fine on my N7, my only complaint is that there's an unneeded margin between the content and the sides of the device. It certainly beats an old looking iOS design.

I didn't know that.  The reason I went with the seprate theme is because when I looked at it on my Note 2 in Portrait mode the menu and RSS buttons would get overlayed and it look awful.   I might go for a different theme when I next have the money to buy one, but for now It'll do.

Thanks for the feedback though.

I didn't know that.  The reason I went with the seprate theme is because when I looked at it on my Note 2 in Portrait mode the menu and RSS buttons would get overlayed and it look awful.   I might go for a different theme when I next have the money to buy one, but for now It'll do.

Thanks for the feedback though.

This was on my Nexus 10, I can't stand mobile sites personally (especially on a 10 inch screen) so I always hit "View in desktop"I posted that because the "Thoughts on expo" obscured something, leaving "city" showing.

Well for now I can deactive the mobile theme.  See how it looks then :)

But then you're forcing a 1.7Mbyte website on the mobile users. At the moment at least your mobile theme is light by using detection and adpative stylesheets through detection.

But then you're forcing a 1.7Mbyte website on the mobile users. At the moment at least your mobile theme is light by using detection and adpative stylesheets through detection.

I've just tested it myself, the site speed is 854.8KB and scored 76/100 on Pingdom.

header image's background is different than overall background

the three bars menu button doesn't do anything

the main menu is a little understated imo since it's just grey words on the grey background.

if you resize the browser down to collapse it into the mobile view, then resize back up, the main menu disappears and the menu button still doesn't do anything.

Yeah, I'm done looking at this junk now, it's word-press with minor modifications to pre-existing templates.

Sorry but I just don't get why you'd care for critique on something that was mostly some other schmucks work except maybe to 'spam-vertise' your website.

/thread