A la carte coming to Canada. Gov't forcing cable co's to unbundle c

"We don't think it's right for Canadians to have to pay for bundled television channels that they don't watch. We want to unbundle television channels and allow Canadians to pick and pay the specific television channels that they want," Industry Minister James Moore said during an appearance on CTV's Question Period.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/13/federal-govt-to-push-cable-providers-to-unbundle-channels

we stand on guard for thee, indeed.

I completely agree with this. Finally I can pay for all my favourite channels instead of bundles where there is only 1 channel I want, but im paying for like 20.

The trouble is it probably won't be any cheaper, the companies will just raise the prices of the individual channels and add fees to make up for it.

Also a lot of smaller channels would probably be forced to die out, and unfortunately since the unwashed masses seem to like low brow bottom of the barrel entertainment like Angry Pompous Chef Wars or Trailer Park Bikini Mud Wrestling some of the few remaining quality channels will be gone.

I think the real solution is services like Netflix, just let the cable companies die out. They're obsolete.

• Like 2

unfortunately this is how its done... prices/channels are blended together. Good shows hold lesser ones up. With the lesser shows not being purshased, all you will ever see is re-runs upon re-runs and marathons of the stronger shows. No lessor shows will be made since there will be no money in it. Will this make prices go up? Don't know but i would bet yes.

Also a lot of smaller channels would probably be forced to die out, and unfortunately since the unwashed masses seem to like low brow bottom of the barrel entertainment like Angry Pompous Chef Wars or Trailer Park Bikini Mud Wrestling some of the few remaining quality channels will be gone.

And what is wrong with "Trailer Park Bikini Mud Wrestling" if the "gals" are cute....

Also a lot of smaller channels would probably be forced to die out, [...]

I think the real solution is services like Netflix, just let the cable companies die out. They're obsolete.

Netflix will surely save those smaller TV channels ...

I say if those smaller TV channels are not interesting enough then let them die.

Netflix will surely save those smaller TV channels ...

Maybe you don't have Netflix or haven't noticed but it has lots of specialty content, and I said services like Netflix. Eventually we'll be able to buy whatever content we want on demand without the cable company middle-men telling us what and when to watch. Cable was great, in the 1980s. It's time for it to go.