Warning: Video contains disturbing imagery

A Chicago woman has sued the village of Skokie and one of its police officers, alleging she was seriously injured after being shoved headfirst into a jail cell bench after a drunken driving arrest last winter.

Cassandra Feuerstein, 47, said in a federal lawsuit that the incident required facial reconstructive surgery and the insertion of a titanium plate to "replace the bones that had been shattered."

Source: The Young Turks

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common, with most of the officers responsible never facing any criminal charges or disciplinary action. If this is what they're willing to do whilst they know they're being filmed then you have to wonder what goes on the rest of the time. Something needs to be done.  :no:

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common, with most of the officers responsible never facing any criminal charges or disciplinary action. If this is what they're willing to do whilst they know they're being filmed then you have to wonder what goes on the rest of the time. Something needs to be done.  :no:

Actually things like this are not as common as you make them out to sound, but that is your agenda, so you have to make it sound like this is some epidemic. The issue with the internet is people only post stories like this and they gain international attention. Never posting the millions of positive encounters people have with law enforcement daily. The typically outcome of a situation like this is, 1: The officer will be fired, 2: The department will be sued and pay out a large sum of money. 3: The officer will be civilly sued and receive a judgement against him. All of that will happen, on top of if he is actually charged with anything criminal. His career is ruined, his life may be ruined also, and he deserves it. There are a ton of other men and women that need jobs and are willing to do put their lives on the line for $13-$18 an hour who would not act like this guy, and the department/city/agency doesn't want the law suit, so it's not like this is out of control and people are just doing whatever they want, as your post and the source act like. I've seen this source before and their stories repeat over and over like a broken record.

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common, with most of the officers responsible never facing any criminal charges or disciplinary action. 

Proof...

Intentional if you ask me. She was obviously subdued, hands propped behind her. She was heading with no resistance in to the cell. The cop then shoved her with force in to the cell. Then she tripped, not surprising since she was drinking, and smashed her face. Probably some hot headed cop or some idiot having a bad day. Doesnt make it right and he should be held accountable.

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common,

I don't think it is any more common now that it was years ago. Just more and more things are getting connected to the internet/leaked out every year. So just more things are exposed and now these issues are being publicized.

This would of never happend if she hadn't got nto a car and drive knowing she was still drunk. :/

So the cop forceful shove was justified?

Accident or not he shoved her alot harder than he needed to, unnecessary force

She'd been drinking. Its difficult to gauge how stable they are upright. 

Easy conviction here, cop should lose his job.  I normally side with them in these cases but this is obviously over the top.  There was no need for the additional shove forward.  The cop knew she was under the influence so motor skills are obviously going to be effected.

There was no need for that aggressive push, she was already in the cell.

Sure she could have been a pain if he kept guiding her further in but he's just traded a little extra hassle for a whole heap of trouble.

I don't think it is any more common now that it was years ago. Just more and more things are getting connected to the internet/leaked out every year. So just more things are exposed and now these issues are being publicized.

Indeed. Increased reporting and the ease of access to such information thanks to the internet is why there's a perception of increased police brutality.  If anything, there's probably a lot LESS of it than there was back in say, the 1970's.

I don't think it was intentional. Looked like an accident to me. 

There is no doubt that the shove?which was extremely aggressive in nature?was deliberate. Whether the officer intended for her to get hurt as she did is irrelevant.

Actually things like this are not as common as you make them out to sound, but that is your agenda, so you have to make it sound like this is some epidemic.

We see these stories day in and day out, yet the same simply isn't true of other western countries. When you look into the statistics, like the number of suspects killed by police in the US, the figures are hundreds of times higher than other countries proportional to population - we're not talking about a minor discrepency. This is a serious issue.

Proof...

I have no intention of writing a PhD thesis on the matter but there is plenty of evidence out there. We saw it with the Christopher Donner manhunt; with the 59 police cars deployed to chase two unarmed men, who were later killed after 137 shots were fired by officers; the police shooting of the woman in Washington D.C.; the unarmed man shot 10 times, killed by police after requesting help from police; the police who killed an unarmed man on his own doorstep, the police that ran over and killed a suspect, etc. There are countless stories where police kill unarmed suspects, often shooting them in excess of 30 times. Anybody paying even casual attention should be able to observe the trend.

You simply don't see that level of brutality in other western countries.

So you're justifying what the cop did because she was DUI?

I was talking about if she hadn't got into her car knowing she was drunk. She would of never end up arrested and slam into a cell bench. By a officer who is haveing a bad day.

Yes I know the officer is in the wrong here for use of force.

I was talking about if she hadn't got into her car knowing she was drunk. She would of never end up arrested and slam into a cell bench. By a officer who is haveing a bad day.

That's irrelevant.

We see these stories day in and day out, yet the same simply isn't true of other western countries. 

http://police-brutality-uk.co.uk/

I've no doubt I can find a lot more if I had the desire...I do not, however.

As mentioned by FloatingFatMan, it is probably less common now than it was before.  It is just more visible now.

Maybe if she weren't so bloody drunk, and therefore in a state of self-induced instability, she wouldn't have gone down and made it to the bench. Time for the 12 steps.

Blaming the victim is the lowest of the low.  :no:

There is no doubt that the shove?which was extremely aggressive in nature?was deliberate. Whether the officer intended for her to get hurt as she did is irrelevant.

I wouldn't call it extremely aggressive. It was forceful sure, a sober person would have easily remained upright. And its not irrelevant whether he intended to harm her or not. It was an accident, he overestimated her ability to stand in her state. Drink drivers are hated by Police. Before she left the Police, my Mum used to come home crying half the nights because she'd witnessed the scene of a drunk driver taking out a small child at speed and fled. And this is the countryside.

So he pushed her, a little hard sure. She ended up hurt, he didn't mean for it to happen, he got her medical help right after. There's a difference between accidently hurting somebody and deliberately mistreating them.

My dad is still a police man and he's told me stories about times a suspect tried to escape, still in handcuffs. He grabbed him by the belt and cuffs, spun him around to throw him into the back of the car, and realized too late that the backdoor was still closed. With a thump. Although it can't have helped that 1 week prior, that same scumbag had assaulted me because I asked him for ID when he tried to buy alcohol.

http://police-brutality-uk.co.uk/

I've no doubt I can find a lot more if I had the desire...I do not, however.

As mentioned by FloatingFatMan, it is probably less common now than it was before.  It is just more visible now.

Did you actually look at that site before you posted it? Here are some of the examples of police brutality:

• Armed police stop on double yellow lines to grab a coffee
  • Inspector ?too busy? to investigate complaint
  • Tasers fired 41 times by North East police in a year
  • Anti-G8 protesters fear ?heavy-handed? police response

Nobody is disputing that police brutality occurs in other countries, including the UK, but it just isn't comparable to the level seen in the United States. Very rarely do police officers in the US face criminal charges or disciplinary action in cases like this. The officer here should have been dismissed from the force and charged with assault yet he still has his job.

At extended version of the video can be seen here.

By the way, it should be noted that when she was found by police she was asleep in her vehicle at the side of the road. She had realised she was too drunk to drive and stopped the car. That's not to excuse her for drink driving but rather to point out that she's not the drunk menace as claimed some others in this topic.