iPod's Dirty Secret

OH LOOK! A catchy video! Its gotta be true. I'm buying a nice new 10gb iPod on boxing day! I cant say im impressed by $255. i love tecgh support 'For that price you may as well buy a new one' yeah OR A DIFFERENT MP3 Player! well when boxing day hits ill be checking out iriver and apple they are a lot smaller than i would have thought. Creatives or RCa ( i dont remeber which) attempt was huge! the size of an actuall ide HD

good choices...:)..i think that the iriver and the ipod are the best hdd players out there...

(though my pref is ipod.. :happy: )

umm, hopefully this will end this stupid argument...taken from another forum:

Fact: Apple now charges $99 to replace your iPod battery.

Fact: You can replace it yourself by buying the battery from a third party for $49.

Fact: There are third-party add-ons to use regular batteries with your iPod.

Fact: Many people with first-gen iPods that use them heavily are still using them with the original battery.

Yup. My uncle has an iPod that he bought shortly after they were released. It's still going strong.

He bought his wife one a little over a year ago. The battery's already dead.

If you make a lot of 10,000 batteries, just like 10,000 of /anything/ electronic - some are going to die quickly. Some will also seem to run forever and a day (when I last spoke to the guy I sold my old Powerbook 145 to, he said it was STILL running on the battery in there, which was the original battery from 92!)

Well on the site I linked to, there are full instructions. Though apparently its reccomended that you avoid using the metal plate they send you to open the back of the case, and instead use something like a thin plastic card to do it.

Apparently its easy enough to do, though I admit I would be shaking the whole time I took my iPod apart! 

I tripped the other day and ended up sitting on my iPod (3rd gen) which was in my pocket. it's okay, I landed on a couch. But still, it sort of pushed the front panel inside the metal casing. It was bugging me, so I used an old credit card and went to pry the thing back in place. I heard a snap and it worked. So I guess it's not that hard to accomplish.

Apple are as worst as any other companies, i dont know why people are going crazy

but still sucks, youd expect a better care for theyre customers, but nope, bottom line, they suck

umm, hopefully this will end this stupid argument...taken from another forum:

Fact: Apple now charges $99 to replace your iPod battery.

Fact: You can replace it yourself by buying the battery from a third party for $49.

Fact: There are third-party add-ons to use regular batteries with your iPod.

Fact: Many people with first-gen iPods that use them heavily are still using them with the original battery.

$99 US is still about $180 AUD to replace a battery, that's still ridiculous.

Just shows how Apple Computer's hardware is designed, it breaks, you throw it away.. Just not right imho. (N)

Certainly that's expensive. But how much is it to replace the LIon battery in a laptop? A cordless phone? A digital camera? Proprietary batteries are always pricey. Now it is a pity that it appears to be semi-difficult to replace a battery on an iPod by yourself, but the iPod is not alone in this regard.

I don't own an iPod (I own a RioVolt that uses AAs), but I don't see this as an intelligent argument against buying one. It's too bad that this guy got a dud battery, but one dud battery hardly means that iPods are good or bad.

$99 US is still about $180 AUD to replace a battery, that's still ridiculous.

Just shows how Apple Computer's hardware is designed, it breaks, you throw it away.. Just not right imho. (N)

The price of the iPod itself and all other electronic devices will translate in your currency just the same. It is the percentage of the purchase price you need to look at, not the actual cost as it differs among countries.

The battery replacement is $99

The 10g iPod is $299 - battery replacement is 33% of purchase price

The 20g iPod is $399 - battery replacement is 25% of purchase price

The 40g iPod is $499 - battery replacement is 20% of purchase price

In comparison, my HP iPaq 3660 was originally $399 at purchase price. Since then the battery has died and they charge $260 dollars for a replacement. That is 65% of purchase price. To me that is too much.

It is up to you to decide how much risk you are willing to take. I am willing to bet my battery will last much longer than 2 years, more like 3 or 4. I have a 15g model, so if I am wrong, I will have to pay 25 percent of the purchase price for a replacement. To me that is acceptable. If you do not believe your iPod will last 2 years, you can buy applecare for 50 dollars, reducing those percentages by roughly half. On top of that, you get the added bonus of having insurance if anything else happens to it within those 2 years.

I am not sure how you consider this ridiculous in light of comparison with other companies. I am also not sure how this shows that Apple hardware breaks and then you have to throw it away. You would have to be stupid to throw away a 3 to 500 dollar piece of equipment because you don't want to pay 20 to 33 percent of the price to get it fixed. You could at least sell it on eBay for 67 to 80 percent of purchase price minus any amortization. Which is another advantage of apple products being that their depreciation rate is rather slow compared with other tech companies.

Ignorance really is no excuse for stupidity. :rolleyes:

I don't own an iPod (I own a RioVolt that uses AAs), but I don't see this as an intelligent argument against buying one. It's too bad that this guy got a dud battery, but one dud battery hardly means that iPods are good or bad.

Amen.

I think this is just people who are out to try and bad mouth the iPod because they have some kind of weird thing against Apple.

At the end of the day, the iPod is pretty much the market leader. They don't become the market leader by having an inferior product (though Microsoft somehow managed ;) :D).

The battery thing is a minor issue, and I think the post that frod made sums up everything you need to know. $49 for a new battery, or $99 to send it in to Apple and let them do it. Seems pretty fair imho!

And everyone complains about Microsoft!

I hope everyone will now stop having orgasms over what really isn't a good MP3 player anyway.

Apple's new Slogan = "iCaveat emptor" :laugh:

post-55-1069750647.jpg

Edited by AshMan

Each to their own. This place LOVES Microsoft stuff, and the supporters of the minority of products (such as Linux, Mac OSX) usually get beaten into submission by the endless trolling. So I guess you need to respect that a lot of people (in fact a HELL of a lot of people) use & love the iPod :)

If you have a particular issue with the iPod I can understand.. battery life is a bit of an issue on 3G iPods, but i'm sure Apple will address that with 4G iPods :)

But just bashing it for the hell of it seems a bit pointless to me.

I have been planning for a while to buy a new 10gig. I should probably save money and buy a cheaper mp3 player thats just as good, but after holding one in my hand i was just mesmorized, i thought it was beutiful hehe. That video kinda scared me for a second. I actually had that thought in my head a couple of days ago but it just drifted. I am still gonna get an ipod because if worse comes to worse i will replace that sucka' on my own. that video is pretty funny, i like taking things to the extreme.

c h e m i s t r y

www.chemistrytheory.com

What a prawn!

If he had spent a tenth as much time on looking for a replacement battery as he had making that pathetic stencil - he would have found a cheap replacement!

He's obviously too stupid to own something as simple even as an iPod :devil:

W.

PS I own an Archos AV380 - so I know what I'm talking about :whistle:

You can't just hate them for one mans experience, if there was a petition attached to the then it might have siad somthing but on it's own it is worthless, the video i mean not the ipod.

What a prawn!

If he had spent a tenth as much time on looking for a replacement battery as he had making that pathetic stencil - he would have found a cheap replacement!

He's obviously too stupid to own something as simple even as an iPod :devil:

W.

PS I own an Archos AV380 - so I know what I'm talking about :whistle:

Maybe he already had the stencil noob!

You can replace the ones in the Creative Zens, they're cheaper, AND theyre supposidly more functional...theyre not quite as sexy though ;)

The Zen is definitely not as sexy. I am not a mac person, and the iPOD is the only Mac thing I own. Nothing compares to it. I owned a zen, it was junk compared to the new iPOD. I sawa guy with one of those archos jukebox things today....that POS looked like a small cereal box. I just wish they offered the iPOD in silver or Black without having to add a cover

I am VERY happy with my 3G 20GB iPod!!

Just to see the look on peoples faces when they hold it is almost worth the ?299!

Hoo yah!

Maybe he already had the stencil noob!

Maybe you should try watching the video and opening your eyes. It shows him making the stencil in the video. And from your previous post, what exactly is it about the iPod that makes it "not a really good mp3 player anyway?" Could you point something out in the market that does it any better?

I guess I was the ignorant one, I didn't know people could be so dumb. :no:

it completely baffles me how this same stupid argument ends up happening. if you (dont) have an ipod, and you like it, great! if you don't like the ipod for whatever reason, great! why have the same argument endlessly with the same bunch of people who won't ever change their position? It's all pretty silly if you ask me.

it completely baffles me how this same stupid argument ends up happening. if you (dont) have an ipod, and you like it, great! if you don't like the ipod for whatever reason, great! why have the same argument endlessly with the same bunch of people who won't ever change their position? It's all pretty silly if you ask me.

Here Here!