Game DVR, Skype, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and the NFL on X1 require Gold

People laugh and balk at Microsoft tactics... If it weren't for Microsoft's Xbox Live structure, Microsoft's competitors wouldn't have a Blueprint to copy... True fact...

It's $60 per year.. $5 a month.... Whatever... Let it go...

People have so much to say about how alive functions and it's cost, but everyone basis their Service off of Live. Now everyone wants to complain... How about pay homage where it's due

Skype premium is free on PSN?

300K servers spread throughout the world, and maintaining them is free as well, I guess... Adding more to what Live has u offer now and keeping it at $60 is free too...

People need to get off the high horse.

• Like 2

People always want a freebie and wonder why the company they love is bleeding $$$

What freebie? What the hell are you talking about? Stop shilling for Microsoft for one second and just think about it logiically.

I guess I'm getting "freebies" from Western Digital, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Nintendo, and Amazon because I don't have to pay them extra to use my already-paid for Netflix subscription on their devices. Gee thanks, guys.

• Like 1

What freebie? What the hell are you talking about? Stop shilling for Microsoft for one second and just think about it logiically.

I guess I'm getting "freebies" from Western Digital, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Nintendo, and Amazon because I don't have to pay them extra to use my already-paid for Netflix subscription on their devices. Gee thanks, guys.

That is really true. If MS want to paywall all their own stuff (skype/Game DVR) there's an argument to be had, but I do not know why they think doing it with competitor paid services achieves.

• Like 1

That is really true. If MS want to paywall all their own stuff (skype/Game DVR) there's an argument to be had, but I do not know why they think doing it with competitor paid services achieves.

Well I guess their argument would be that your paying for the infrastructure that they provide to offer apps. I think that argument might have held some water early on this generation, but in 2013, that's a non starter.

With the market as it is, there is no reasonable excuse for keeping third party apps behind a paywall.

You can get away with exclusive apps being that way, or if you offer some special deal related to third party apps as part of Gold (such as offering Netflix customers a discount, etc), but not for just offering access. Now lets be a bit honest though, most people that will own an X1 or PS4 will also have Gold/PS+, include most of us that are talking about this here. So this issue means more to those that want to buy a gaming console for single player games (or no gaming) and media content.

I'm still scratching my head on this one. MS has had all sorts of hints that they were changing the way they deal with apps and the app market for the X1. Demoing Win 8 apps on an X1, talking about how development will be portable, etc. I have hard time believing that they would do all of this and then require any apps created be kept behind Gold. My thinking is that they will phase this out over time.

I have mentioned this before, but I always thought that MS would drop the Gold requirement once they felt they had other content to keep people paying for the service. So once they have their exclusive media ready to go (tv shows, etc) and their new game services (Games for Gold on X1 and perhaps the game streaming service they showed off behind closed doors), they would push all third party apps out of the Gold requirement. I was hoping they would do that at the X1 launch, but it looks like it could be longer.

People always want a freebie and wonder why the company they love is bleeding $$$

What people want it access to the same things they can get without a fee on other platforms/devices. Things that don't cost microsoft a dime in servers or bandwidth because those services have nothing to do with them.

What people want it access to the same things they can get without a fee on other platforms/devices. Things that don't cost microsoft a dime in servers or bandwidth because those services have nothing to do with them.

Regardless of what it 'costs' MS, in the year 2013, there are devices in the same class as the X1 that offer access to those services for free.

So, even if it costs MS something to work them into their platform, its time to drop that and offer them for free. If they are serious about the X1 coming under the 'One Windows' umbrella of portable services and content across pcs and devices, then they will need an app market that mirrors what they use in Windows 8 and Windows Phone. That means not holding third party apps behind Gold. Instead, they need to bolster Gold's value in other ways.

I'm hopeful that is in fact their plan (based on their leaks and hints) and that its only delayed until that replacement 'value' for Gold is out.

Screw Netflix, Hulu and the rest of them. I'm praying for a solid port of XBMC.

I'm right with you. I help test the MediaBrowser 3 server/client software and they are more than ready to develop an X1 app along side their Win 8 app if MS allows it. I can get by without some streaming services if I can use an app like that.

I'm right with you. I help test the MediaBrowser 3 server/client software and they are more than ready to develop an X1 app along side their Win 8 app if MS allows it. I can get by without some streaming services if I can use an app like that.

First I've heard of MediaBrowser3. Looks pretty good, I'll check it out at some point.

Shilling really?... does western digital, Samsung, Panasonic, Amazon offer what Microsoft is offering?...  then go get their product...  everyday its the same thing... Netflix paywall this, Netflix paywall that... every sing day.  likes its a surprise that Microsoft has been doing this.  this is their business practice from day 1 and they do what they see fit with it.  Can't be that bad if people Live is growing at the rate it is.

Every single day, its fall and tantrum over a Kinect, fall and tantrum over $100, fall and tantrum that you always have to be online... then fall and tantrum that the online product is behind a paywall... how ironic... 

I hate when Samsung or HTC put skins on Android phones, but I don't just cry and cry and cry about it... I either buy the product and shut up, or take my $$$ and go elsewhere that's offering me what I want.

Microsoft isn't perfect, they hit my nerves just like Sony and Nintendo do... but Netflix isn't big enough to be a deal breaker for me.  if it didn't play games all of a sudden, now theres a problem.

shilling...lol...  still got Love for ya though Method...

Shilling really?... does western digital, Samsung, Panasonic, Amazon offer what Microsoft is offering?...  then go get their product... 

You greatly over-estimate the entertainment/apps side of xbox live. Xbox live must be really awesome in usa cause here in canada it's a good service but outside of gaming it's not any better than an htpc or other solutions you can plug on your TV. In canada xbox live is basically a friend list and matchmaking/online gaming and i'm mostly sure it'll remain this way next gen. There's really few apps avalaible and i'm sure things like Google TV and Apple TV do have those apps (if Smart TVs don't have them they will soon not doubt about it). I can't take seriously an entertainment device not supporting mkv files anyway. The XBox and XBox Live are a great console and service for gaming. But if you are looking purely for an entertainment device you'll be better served elsewhere for less money.

I can't speak for any country outside of USofA...  but I feel that Live is awesome... 
.mkv files are going to be a tough one.  because most put mkv files in the same boat as torrents...

You greatly over-estimate the entertainment/apps side of xbox live. Xbox live must be really awesome in usa cause here in canada it's a good service but outside of gaming it's not any better than an htpc or other solutions you can plug on your TV. In canada xbox live is basically a friend list and matchmaking/online gaming and i'm mostly sure it'll remain this way next gen. There's really few apps avalaible and i'm sure things like Google TV and Apple TV do have those apps (if Smart TVs don't have them they will soon not doubt about it). I can't take seriously an entertainment device not supporting mkv files anyway. The XBox and XBox Live are a great console and service for gaming. But if you are looking purely for an entertainment device you'll be better served elsewhere for less money.

First I've heard of MediaBrowser3. Looks pretty good, I'll check it out at some point.

Its a platform that is coming together quite nicely. They are still working hard to get all the features that it needs to compete with or exceed the likes of Plex and XBMC.

If MS does open up the app market, they could be the first ones to push an app dedicated towards local media playback.

This could also allow the VLC guys to push their Win 8 app to the X1, possibly allowing for any file format that vlc supports to be played back directly from the X1. That means mkvs, flac audio, etc, etc.

I'm still scratching my head on this one. MS has had all sorts of hints that they were changing the way they deal with apps and the app market for the X1. Demoing Win 8 apps on an X1, talking about how development will be portable, etc. I have hard time believing that they would do all of this and then require any apps created be kept behind Gold. My thinking is that they will phase this out over time.

Well there's two possibilities there. either they're going to filter the store and not allow subscriber series, OR regular windows 8 apps for these services will be allowed. but the premium Xbox One Apps (they talked about premium netflix app before) will require gold. as for the difference, who knows. If that's the way they go I suppose premium would be the one that allows super HD, running in split screen, kinect integration and so on. 

Talking about all of this app stuff reminded me that the ESPN app is free for anyone to access until early November. I use that app a lot for college football, its pretty slick and performs great. I can get HD streams of games that I might not get via cable.

Someone mentioned earlier that MS was doing all of these free access days for apps like Netflix and Hulu. Well they seem to be doing it with all of these apps. Maybe they really are trying to gauge the interest among those that do not have Gold to use these services.

Its a platform that is coming together quite nicely. They are still working hard to get all the features that it needs to compete with or exceed the likes of Plex and XBMC.If MS does open up the app market, they could be the first ones to push an app dedicated towards local media playback.This could also allow the VLC guys to push their Win 8 app to the X1, possibly allowing for any file format that vlc supports to be played back directly from the X1. That means mkvs, flac audio, etc, etc.

Is it based on the WMC plugin of the same name?

Is it based on the WMC plugin of the same name?

That's correct. Its the same team that built the MediaBroswer plugin for WMC over several years. They are transitioning to a stand alone product. They have a server/client model with apps on phones, tablets, Win 8, etc. They still support WMC as well.

That's correct. Its the same team that built the MediaBroswer plugin for WMC over several years. They are transitioning to a stand alone product. They have a server/client model with apps on phones, tablets, Win 8, etc. They still support WMC as well.

Awesome, will give it a try, loved MediaBrowser on my Win7 WMC setup.

The problem for Microsoft is can they expand the Gold user base beyond gamers because they have sold almost 80 million Xbox 360s and around 40 Million are on Xbox Live and they don't say the exact percentage of Gold paying subscribers but it is clearly making them a healthly profit. Online gaming is the main hook of Xbox Live Gold so whether apps etc. come in the package, the majority of users are paying for online gaming primarly.

Which makes me think Xbox can never dominate or grow big enough to be a leader in the market of mass media entertainment. There is just too many better alternatives that offer the apps free on every other device and are already in many devices people own like new TVs, media boxes etc. Is Kinect the magic bullet to get masses subscribing to Xbox Live Gold, I don't think so because it will be a gimmick that loses it's charm once again very quickly and like the PS3 proved this generation it was the more popular Netflix device. Sony keeping apps free is a wise decision and I think if they put as much effort as Microsoft does in streaming services, it will likely better Xbox One in users accessing those services.

Microsoft's new direction is subscription which is a good buisness plan when you offer good value but I don't think their policy of putting free or already paid for services behind a pay wall is a good or fair approach and the market will show that to be true. Millions of gamers buying Xbox Live Gold doesn't mean they are right,  holding online gaming hostage is the only reason they have so many users, media apps are a minority aspect of Xbox Live Gold.

Whether it be Sony, Apple, Google, Roku or whoever, one thing is for sure, Xbox One won't carve out a market any bigger than they have right now because others will do it better, cheaper and for free. Time will tell and I hope competition makes Microsoft change to offer better value rather than cheap tactics to get people subscribing.

• Like 2

Is IE still going to be behind a paywall? LoL.

Apparently the list of ###### behind Gold is rather long:

Apps/Features behind Gold paywall

If you want to give your 360 to someone after you buy an X1 to use as a netflix/streamer box you'd have to keep to gold payments.

The problem for Microsoft is can they expand the Gold user base beyond gamers because they have sold almost 80 million Xbox 360s and around 40 Million are on Xbox Live and they don't say the exact percentage of Gold paying subscribers but it is clearly making them a healthly profit. Online gaming is the main hook of Xbox Live Gold so whether apps etc. come in the package, the majority of users are paying for online gaming primarly.

Which makes me think Xbox can never dominate or grow big enough to be a leader in the market of mass media entertainment. There is just too many better alternatives that offer the apps free on every other device and are already in many devices people own like new TVs, media boxes etc. Is Kinect the magic bullet to get masses subscribing to Xbox Live Gold, I don't think so because it will be a gimmick that loses it's charm once again very quickly and like the PS3 proved this generation it was the more popular Netflix device. Sony keeping apps free is a wise decision and I think if they put as much effort as Microsoft does in streaming services, it will likely better Xbox One in users accessing those services.

Microsoft's new direction is subscription which is a good buisness plan when you offer good value but I don't think their policy of putting free or already paid for services behind a pay wall is a good or fair approach and the market will show that to be true. Millions of gamers buying Xbox Live Gold doesn't mean they are right,  holding online gaming hostage is the only reason they have so many users, media apps are a minority aspect of Xbox Live Gold.

Whether it be Sony, Apple, Google, Roku or whoever, one thing is for sure, Xbox One won't carve out a market any bigger than they have right now because others will do it better, cheaper and for free. Time will tell and I hope competition makes Microsoft change to offer better value rather than cheap tactics to get people subscribing.

While you do have some interesting points, all of those you just mentioned will NOT do it better than Microsoft.  yes they having the bragging point of not being behind a paywall, but they don't have any bragging point on feature set (Microsoft owns this hands down).  no one else can do a group video chat while watching said shows (you would be amazed at how much people actually talk while watching a show/movie together).  I don't think I've ever seen an instance (not even on PC) Where gaming and snapping something else (TV, sports,etc) looking like TV was always suppose to be that way.

And if Xbox Live will be the only place to get the Halo TV series, people will be more than happy to pay $60 a year for that.  it will have the same following as, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Entourage, True Blood, etc.

Multi-player games need Live and that's the catch.  no one will think that Live at $60 per year is a deal breaker.

All is fine in US where most of these Xbox One Gold Subscription based entertainment plans will be available. But for people from India, China, Brazil, etc, what extras do we get on gold subscription? We don't get Netflix nor do we get Hulu and other streaming services.

Microsoft needs to make sure that we get our subscription money worth.