Game DVR, Skype, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and the NFL on X1 require Gold

Just a little update from MS on their policies for the X1.

They announced today via twitter that if you have Gold, you get access to the ad-supported Xbox Music service. Its the same ad-supported free version that is available on Win 8 currently. Of course, you can get an Xbox Music Pass if you want to get rid of the ads.

I use the free version on my pc and it works well for streaming, so I'll probably use it on the X1 as well.

It's a point of view issue really.  I see XBL as a subscription to add value to my Xbox..  When the Xbox 360 launched it had the terrible blades and limited functionality. Over the years i got netflix, hulu, xbox music, xbox tv,  pbs, comcast, uverse, youtube and so much more. 

I used to buy Roku's but reality is, i've upgraded generations of roku players over the years that costs more combined than i paid for all of my XBL service over the years.

Also, i don't want a smart TV unless said smart TV is running a straight up X86  motherboard in it a-la Intel smart tvs. The last thing i want to do is to have to replace my TV because some terrible company decided smart tv 2.0 isn't going to be back ported to smart tv 1.0

With the 360, that hasn't happened to me yet.  I know lots of people with smart tv's who don't use the smart functions because they're long abandoned, barely adopted and don't integrate easily.  Also, i don't feel like messing with HDMI out from my tv back into my receiver to get DTS/HD audio and crap like that so "smart" TVs aren't all that smart and certainly aren't a solution where an appliance with updatability built in and serviced through a cheap subscription makes sense.

for people outside the US without the functionality, i can't speak for you and don't claim to but Microsoft has sweetened the deal highly with the 2 free games a month which alone represents a HUGE value as that is 12 24 games a year that you get to keep even if your subscription lapses

I don't have a problem with Microsoft charging for Xbox Live.  After all, it does cost money to run and that $$ has to come from somewhere.  The problem I have with it, is Microsoft is putting services behind the paywall that are free on other platforms.  There are probobly people that like the Xbox games but aren't into online gaming.  For them, they still have to pay for Xbox Live Gold if they want to use their system beyond just playing games.  

Just a little update from MS on their policies for the X1.

They announced today via twitter that if you have Gold, you get access to the ad-supported Xbox Music service. Its the same ad-supported free version that is available on Win 8 currently. Of course, you can get an Xbox Music Pass if you want to get rid of the ads.

I use the free version on my pc and it works well for streaming, so I'll probably use it on the X1 as well.

If something is too good to be true...

I was wrong about Music on XboxOne: You get 15 free song plays then need Music Pass for ad-free streaming. No ad-supported streaming. Sorry!

https://twitter.com/albertpenello/status/398136973224710144

It's the kind of thing they need to do to add value to XBL, not locking apps behind paywalls. Although supporting it with ads would have been a joke when you're paying for XBL Gold.

Add supported music streaming on a living room device isn't going to happen. As anyoe paying attention to that industry knows, NONE of the streaming companies are making money.

It's the kind of thing they need to do to add value to XBL, not locking apps behind paywalls. Although supporting it with ads would have been a joke when you're paying for XBL Gold.

I agree. I still think that will happen sooner rather than later, but it looks like it wont happen at launch.