Call of Duty: Ghosts And Titanfall To Run At 720p On Xbox One?

Finally, how does that explain the fact that there is an OXM article up TODAY with a direct claim by Infinity Ward that the X1 version is running at 1080p/60?

Maybe the hope is final builds will be 60fps At 1080P but current builds are not?  Maybe back in June it was at that but additions to the game and graphics it is reduced? Those who know aren't saying definitevely one way or another... not that it matters.   As long as it plays well who cares if the textures are stretched, and the fps drops to 59... not me.

Maybe the hope is final builds will be 60fps At 1080P but current builds are not?  Maybe back in June it was at that but additions to the game and graphics it is reduced? Those who know aren't saying definitevely one way or another... not that it matters.   As long as it plays well who cares if the textures are stretched, and the fps drops to 59... not me.

That's possible for sure, but the article makes it sound like the developer is saying that it is running at that right now. They say its running just as it was back in June. So either this guy is unaware of the change, is lying, or knows what he is talking about.

Sadly, too many online care far too much about this stuff.

Wouldn't it be nicer if everyone followed your lead? Unfortunately, places like NeoGAF, and just about every forum on the internet, like to stir up outbursts over the silliest things.

While the PS4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed to run at 1080p, as IGN?s video coverage was broadcast at this resolution, it appears as though the Xbox One version may have a lower resolution of just 720p, which isn?t really ideal for next generation gaming.

Meanwhile, that isn't confirmation of anything, Ryse was also streamed live at 1080. It just means that's the resolution they chose to use for the stream, not that it's the final resolution. 

Meanwhile, that isn't confirmation of anything, Ryse was also streamed live at 1080. It just means that's the resolution they chose to use for the stream, not that it's the final resolution.

AFAIK, IGN's stream is 720p, this whole drama has sony fanboyism painted all over it.

The famous-whatever insider dude also got owned in the NBA downgrade thread claiming that Sony doesn't have a special deal only to be caught with his pants down. All apparently because I haven't bothered to read through the massive thread.

maybe the x1 is harder to achieve 1080p at 60fps because theyve mentioned how good the new upscaler is so they arent expecting it to be at native 1080p for everything, <snip>

What's supposed to be special about this new upscaler chip?

If at the end of the day the game on the two systems looks 99% the same if not 100% what does it matter?  This is like epenis waving here whenever people start to toss out numbers and %'s and so on. 

Holding off for actual proof, but it would be incredibly disappointing if it winds up being true.

People can try to argue resolution is not all that important, and it has a good upscaler blah blah blah, that still does not change the fact if it is native 1080p, it looks better than if it is not.

And while graphics do not make the game and good gameplay makes the game, they are the icing on the cake if they are good.

I was actually disappointed at the time of the 360's and PS3's release that we were only doing 720p. I will be disappointed if that is the case this time around.

I personally see it being the equivalent of buying a BluRay player for my nice 55" 1080p TV, then being told all it will play is normal DVD's upscaled, and not BluRays themselves.

So yes, life will go on if this does wind up being true, and the games will look good still at 720p, but that does not change the fact it would be disappointing and native 1080p would ultimately be the best.

Again, waiting to see if this winds up being true, but I do find the lack on any real response to be suspect, and also some people making the argument for 720p not being a huge deal seems questionable as well. As someone who has the One preordered along with Forza and Dead Rising, I do hope it is not true, and if it is it is just the initial learning curve of developing on a new console, and further down the road games wind up being 1080p.

• Like 2

lol just gotta sit and back and laugh at you console folks. Nothing is 'next gen' about the hardware, and no intense game will run optimally at 60fps + at 1080p period. The GPU alone is a few years old, and to compensate for that so called hardware experts are claiming all sorts of nonsense. LOL! Give me a break. You go play your 720p low res games now :D

• Like 1

The Xbox one is capable of 1080P/60FPS NBA2K14 just confirmed that both Xbox and ps4 can run the game at that resolution with no up res or anything so the Xbox one is capable of 1080p/60fps

If Xbox one can run a sports game at 1080p and 60 fps I'm sure it'll run Ghosts which doesn't even look next gen to me

lol just gotta sit and back and laugh at you console folks. Nothing is 'next gen' about the hardware, and no intense game will run optimally at 60fps + at 1080p period. The GPU alone is a few years old, and to compensate for that so called hardware experts are claiming all sorts of nonsense. LOL! Give me a break. You go play your 720p low res games now :D

You do realize most of us are also PC gamers and have consoles for a variety of reasons, such as exclusives. Also, consoles (should usually) mean optimization (as well as more use of the same specs, regarding things like RAM, processing speeds etc.due to the lack of 'overhead' such as background programs).

You do realize most of us are also PC gamers and have consoles for a variety of reasons, such as exclusives. Also, consoles (should usually) mean optimization (as well as more use of the same specs, regarding things like RAM, processing speeds etc.due to the lack of 'overhead' such as background programs).

And...?

And...?

Means consoles can do alot more with less, alot more than a PC could do with the same hardware in it also the dx api is really inefficient as its designed to run on anything and everything so theres no specific optimizations for anything. Mantle should close the gap considerably on what same level GPU's can do or as will be the case for high end hardware, blow a hole in the consoles capabilities... hopefully. Guess we'll find out in december in BF4 :D

Although saying that if they cant push 1080p 60fps on the next set of games released its time give up and go home cus learning curve between PC and console architecture this time round wont be much so devs could leverage the power unless the ESRAM in the x1 isnt all that good. no point having this if it doesnt work as well in games sure it had real code tested on it but in a gaming environment who knows.

• Like 1

Means consoles can do alot more with less, alot more than a PC could do with the same hardware in it also the dx api is really inefficient as its designed to run on anything and everything so theres no specific optimizations for anything. Mantle should close the gap considerably on what same level GPU's can do or as will be the case for high end hardware, blow a hole in the consoles capabilities... hopefully. Guess we'll find out in december in BF4 :D

Although saying that if they cant push 1080p 60fps on the next set of games released its time give up and go home cus learning curve between PC and console architecture this time round wont be much so devs could leverage the power unless the ESRAM in the x1 isnt all that good. no point having this if it doesnt work as well in games sure it had real code tested on it but in a gaming environment who knows.

I won't say that consoles are better than PCs, that's a complete lie. However it must be noted that the APIs and the OS itself are getting on the way. Mantle of AMD is the first step for a low level access API without all the DirectX clutter, then Linux is also an excellent alternative to Windows, sadly Linux doesn't make things easier for it to be really a gaming platform. Soon however, I really hope that gaming switches from windows to linux, I'm really tired of all the recent decisions that MS have taken with it.

Again, waiting to see if this winds up being true, but I do find the lack on any real response to be suspect, and also some people making the argument for 720p not being a huge deal seems questionable as well. As someone who has the One preordered along with Forza and Dead Rising, I do hope it is not true, and if it is it is just the initial learning curve of developing on a new console, and further down the road games wind up being 1080p.

Um, there is a 'real' response. Just look back in the thread at the OXM UK interview that was posted yesterday. The dev confirmed that it was still running at 1080p/60 as it was back in June.

So either he is lying, or the rumors aren't true.

I'm not sure how much more real a response needs to be.

I won't say that consoles are better than PCs, that's a complete lie. However it must be noted that the APIs and the OS itself are getting on the way. Mantle of AMD is the first step for a low level access API without all the DirectX clutter, then Linux is also an excellent alternative to Windows, sadly Linux doesn't make things easier for it to be really a gaming platform. Soon however, I really hope that gaming switches from windows to linux, I'm really tired of all the recent decisions that MS have taken with it.

Things like Mantle are a great new option to get the most out of hardware. I mean heck, MS is using that for the X1, so devs already get the benefit there.

As far as gaming switching to Linux, I'm really not sure why Windows is so hated in this respect. I mean MS may not be actively producing games, but they also don't seem to be changing Windows to harm gaming. Win 8 gaming goes on without a hitch from my lengthy experience. I know there are some bugs from the 8.1 update, but they are working on a patch as we speak. It's not like Linux is immune from having bugs or driver updates, etc, etc.

The GFWL thing is what comes to mind as MS' biggest mistake dealing with gaming on the pc, but that is being phased out, so that's a good thing.

To me, I would also like to see Linux gaming improve, but I also hope that means that it pushes MS to get more serious on its gaming plans on the PC, working to improve the OS in ways that benefit gamers and maybe even features that cater to them, as they do with XBL. Since they are bringing the Xbox Live experience over to the PC already, this seems like a natural evolution of that.

Things like Mantle are a great new option to get the most out of hardware. I mean heck, MS is using that for the X1, so devs already get the benefit there.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/appbuilder/archive/2013/10/14/raising-the-bar-with-direct3d.aspx

Other graphics APIs such as OpenGL and AMD?s Mantle are not available on Xbox One.

Um, there is a 'real' response. Just look back in the thread at the OXM UK interview that was posted yesterday. The dev confirmed that it was still running at 1080p/60 as it was back in June.

So either he is lying, or the rumors aren't true.

I'm not sure how much more real a response needs to be.

QFT.

I find it funny to say Mantle is low level compared to DX or OGL when it's just another API sitting between hardware and software like the other two.  The difference here, and something I don't agree with one bit in todays world, is that it's written specifically for AMDs GPUs, so it's custom as custom can get.  That's all well and good if you're running an AMD GPU but what if you aren't?   Are we now going to have NVidia coming out with their own API for their own cards?   It's like we're suddenly taking not 2 but 20 steps back in to the early 90s when each GPU maker had their own APIs developers had to target.  

The whole idea about DX and even more with OGL is that they're not specific to platform or hardware.   If that means we lose a bit on the performance side I could live with it instead of having the market split all over the place once again. 

Oh ok, thanks for posting that. I could have sworn there was mention of this being used, but I was wrong.

Still, doesn't MS give developers access to the bare metal of the console to get as much out of it as possible? Or do they still work through an API like DirectX? I thought the whole idea around Mantle was that it mirrored the way consoles can be developed for.

I find it funny to say Mantle is low level compared to DX or OGL when it's just another API sitting between hardware and software like the other two.

The main difference is in how it works, and we don't have details.  AMD recently talked about Heterogenous Queueing allowing GPUs to execute code without CPU involvement.  Couldn't Mantle just be using something similar to that?  As such, it could be vastly more efficient than having the CPU control graphics code.

http://techreport.com/news/25545/amd-heterogeneous-queuing-aims-to-make-cpu-gpu-more-equal-partners

Oh ok, thanks for posting that. I could have sworn there was mention of this being used, but I was wrong.

Still, doesn't MS give developers access to the bare metal of the console to get as much out of it as possible? Or do they still work through an API like DirectX?

Erm, it says it uses DX in the article I just gave you.  Heh.  :)  From what I've read I don't think they'll allow direct hardware access at first, but the DX build is optimized for a single platform so shouldn't have any notable performance issues.

The main difference is in how it works, and we don't have details.  AMD recently talked about Heterogenous Queueing allowing GPUs to execute code without CPU involvement.  Couldn't Mantle just be using something similar to that?  As such, it could be vastly more efficient than having the CPU control graphics code.

http://techreport.com/news/25545/amd-heterogeneous-queuing-aims-to-make-cpu-gpu-more-equal-partners

I'm sure it's doing it different compared to the other two , which is why you get the ability to have better control and take the CPU out of it more than with the other two.   Honestly it sounds nice but I'm just against the idea of having hardware vendor specific APIs today like we did 20+ years ago.   What happens when Nvidia decides it wants to make it's own specific API now for it's own GPUs?   Is that what we really need?

I think OpenGL and DirectX have been doing a fine job and with the hardware we have today in PCs most peoples CPU is siting idle doing nothing anyways, why not use it?  I don't remember the last time I maxed out my quad core i7 920 and it's hardly new.

And...?

Thanks 'psionicinversion' for helping clarify for others where I fell short, I forget sometimes just because this is a tech forum doesn't mean all of its users are tech savvy :)