CPU upgrade for second gtx680?

Planning on adding a second GTX 680 in SLI, current cpu is AMD FX-6300 at a stable 4.2Ghz. Is a CPU upgrade necessary?

And if I were to get the second 680 anyway, would games still run at a stable 60+ fps on 1920 x 1080, especially Battlefield 4?

I don't think so, no. It's got six cores, well within, for example, BF4 requirements, especially with that overclock. The thing with AMD CPUs is, of course, that they're real cheap - you can always do a swap for 8320, OC it to 8350 levels and above and barely notice the cost diff, but for gaming alone it's probably not worth the bother.

BF4 won't be super CPU dependent just like BF3, so you don't need to worry about upgrading.

You should already be getting 60FPS no problem with a single GTX 680, so there's probably not much of a reason to get another one quite yet.  I'm kind of in the same boat since I've been considering getting another 680, but the BF4 Beta ran great maxed out, so I'm holding off.

BF4 won't be super CPU dependent just like BF3, so you don't need to worry about upgrading.

You should already be getting 60FPS no problem with a single GTX 680, so there's probably not much of a reason to get another one quite yet.  I'm kind of in the same boat since I've been considering getting another 680, but the BF4 Beta ran great maxed out, so I'm holding off.

i was getting huge lag spikes and fps drops in the beta. didnt even go past 43 fps even on low settings

I don't think so, no. It's got six cores, well within, for example, BF4 requirements, especially with that overclock. The thing with AMD CPUs is, of course, that they're real cheap - you can always do a swap for 8320, OC it to 8350 levels and above and barely notice the cost diff, but for gaming alone it's probably not worth the bother.

i should've mentioned that i have disabled cores 5 and 6 in order to keep a stable OC, my mobo doesnt like overclocking(MSI 970a-g46). will this cause any affect?

i was getting huge lag spikes and fps drops in the beta. didnt even go past 43 fps even on low settings

Hmm, that doesn't seem right.  Did you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed?  They put out a Beta driver or something that had a bunch of improvements for BF4.  I had some stuttering before I installed those, and it was all fixed after I updated it.  But yeah I ran everything at top settings and it was silky smooth.

You've got some driver problem right there. My old Lynnfield rig with a borrowed 780 (which is way too much for it) ran it without much of a hitch. 331.40 drivers.

Also, now they've released 331.58. See if those help. It's not the problem/bottleneck of CPU, surely.

Hard to say about other games. Watch Dogs seems to be a pretty hungry thing. There's a thread here on Neowin that discusses Watch Dogs system requirements at length, perhaps there's some more info on that.

Hmm, that doesn't seem right.  Did you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed?  They put out a Beta driver or something that had a bunch of improvements for BF4.  I had some stuttering before I installed those, and it was all fixed after I updated it.  But yeah I ran everything at top settings and it was silky smooth.

updated all necessary drivers and it still did the same