Texas Dad Alleges Bullying in 91-0 Football Game

Texas high school coach Tim Buchanan benched his starters after only 21 plays, kept to a conservative ground game and even allowed the clock to run uninterrupted after halftime to hasten the final whistle. Still, his Bearcats won 91-0.

Now the coach is facing formal accusations of bullying.

The impressive victory for undefeated Aledo High School, a football powerhouse in suburban Fort Worth that has put up similar numbers against other schools, has forced an investigation after a parent from the opposing team filed a bullying complaint. The complaint, which must be investigated under state law, says Buchanan should have done more to prevent the lopsided score.

"It wasn't good for anybody," Buchanan said of the Friday win over Western Hills in a Class 4A matchup. "I've sat and gone over and over and over it on what we could have done differently. The score could have very easily been 150 to nothing."

Western Hills coach John Naylor told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he disagreed with the bullying allegation, which Buchanan said suggested his coaches "should have made their players ease up and quit playing that hard."

Under state law, Aledo's principal must investigate the complaint and prepare a report. The complaint was filed with the school district, which the law requires to provide bullying complaint forms on its websites.

The University Interscholastic League, the governing body for high school sports in Texas, only has a mercy rule for six-man football that ends a game when one team gets ahead by 45 points by halftime or later. There is no mercy rule for 11-man football, though coaches can agree to end a game early, UIL spokeswoman Kate Hector said.

more

That's when he responds with "I took all these measures to try and help you out, and you still couldn't score a single point.. I'm not the one with the problem, train harder or gtfo" ...

• Like 3

Read about this crap yesterday. This is just another result of the new touchy-feely bleeding-heart PC way society treats everything. "Bullying" has lost all legitimate meaning now that the media has gotten ahold of it and manufactured a new crises around it. Thanks to that we have new "zero tolerance" type rules put in place around this kind of thing which means that the school is now required to waste time taking these allegations "seriously."

Maybe instead people should just toughen up, and maybe his son's football team should try to improve.

What a joke.  IT WAS NOT BULLYING, it is just a bunch of sore losers who are crying.    This is another 'expansion' of the term bullying.  It is bad enough that when a parent raises their voice when talking to a kid, that is now bullying according to the US Government.

Stop the madness

• Like 2

If you are being beat that bad, just forfeit. Infact I think the school should have called it.

I mean I agree it sucks.. I wouldn't want to have been there on either side.. nothing good comes from a game like that.. but it's not Bullying.

What a joke.  IT WAS NOT BULLYING, it is just a bunch of sore losers who are crying.    This is another 'expansion' of the term bullying.  It is bad enough that when a parent raises their voice when talking to a kid, that is now bullying according to the US Government.

Stop the madness

Agreed.

Getting knocked down in the hall and having your head slammed into a locker is bullying. Having your lunch stolen and being taunted because you cant do anything about it is bullying.

Getting scolded by your parents isnt bullying. Losing a football game isnt bullying.

• Like 3

Texas high school coach Tim Buchanan benched his starters after only 21 plays, kept to a conservative ground game and even allowed the clock to run uninterrupted after halftime to hasten the final whistle. Still, his Bearcats won 91-0.

Now the coach is facing formal accusations of bullying.

I'm so sick of idiots letting themselves jump huge steps in logic. There should be something between those two lines that indicates bullying even occurred. Otherwise, its simply someone butthurt about losing so much that are actually offended by their own suck.

They should have called the game at halftime. In softball in our area, if the score becomes too lopsided they call it. 

That said, this is not bullying. 

I weep for the future of the NFL is this trend continues.. could you imagine what would happen if these little sore losers were ever in the Super Bowl and tried to pull this stunt?

I weep for the future of the NFL is this trend continues.. could you imagine what would happen if these little sore losers were ever in the Super Bowl and tried to pull this stunt?

The concussion issue will have killed the NFL long before anything like this makes it to the professional level.

I don't think we have to worry about any of them making it that far :laugh:

Maybe the regular PC folks can chime in and defend this investigation. They know who they are.

This isn't about political correctness, this is about a solitary parent taking things too far. An event like this doesn't warrant national / international scrutiny but due to the nature of the internet everybody gets to hear about it and use it as evidence that the nation is becoming wussified. There must be hundreds of thousands of games played each year yet because ONE parent at ONE game complains suddenly the whole of society is collapsing due to oversensitivity.

• Like 2

from the article - "There is no mercy rule for 11-man football, though coaches can agree to end a game early, UIL spokeswoman Kate Hector said."   The coaches could have discussed this and have been done with it.   No bullying here, the better team won by a significant margin.

Is it bullying to beat another team 91-0?  Not at all.

Is it really really embarrassing to LOSE 91-0? You betcha!  The coach should have just called a forfeit.

In fact, he should have called it in from home and not bother taking his team to that game at all... Would have saved some tears!