What was your first home computer?

Holy Old-Thread Revival.  But then, I've seen worse than 6-month gaps in threads before.

Personally, I got a Commodore 64 on Christmas 1984 (just it and the cassette recorder).  Got the floppy disk drive the following Christmas, so despite what everybody says now, I got to appreciate how much "faster" that was compared to using nothing but tapes for a whole year.

Moved on to a Commodore 128 a few years after that before going the PC route starting with a 12 MHz 80286 and DOS 3.2.  There's probably been 15-20 computers (+ laptops + tablets) between that and my current machines.

First computer got at home was a Packard Bell 386dx with 4M of RAM, DOS 5, Windows 3.11. 1992. Did get online with free trials of aol and compuserve. Doom networked with direct dial to the other person was cool at the time.

Used that through HS.

First PC I paid my own hard earned cash was for a Gateway 2000 with with Windows 95OSR2. It shipped with a 233 P2 but I upgraded it to P3 450 eventually. I also got a SOYO dual CPU board and ran NT4 on the two P3 550's. Dual booted with 98 though it did not use the second CPU. I remember the day I got a Ti 4200.... Montego Bay sound card... AOE/Doom for hours.

First server

DEC Alpha EV7

Mine was an AST Advantage. Can't remember all the specs, but it had Win 95 and had a 133 MHz processor and a 28k modem.

The first one I used was a beige Dell, then we got a new XP machine in 2004 which I inherited in 2007.

It was this.

TGUb01B.jpg

Oh boy. My first one was this, if anyone knows what it is. :) While most of my friends at that time had to "load" games via audio cassette, I had a floppy drive! It was external and half the size of a middle tower case, HUGE!. One disk had quite a few games on it, like 10-15, and the first game I played was TMNT :)

Atari 800 XL

297922-atari_800xl_plain_white.jpg

I have a heartache when I see this.  My first computer.  The best computer in its day.

800XL --> 130XE  --> Mega ST  --> Mega 4ST (I still have this one and I think it's still working)...

1992 a Gateway 2000 machine and only remember that it was a 386.

After I got an IBM 486 then a Compaq Prolinea pentium then an HP Vectra? Pentium II then one with a Pentium III, then a Dell Dimension with upgraded ram and graphics finally graduating to building my own with a Pentium 4HT. These days I rock Lenovo products, a T430s, x1 carbon, a M92 and a Macbook pro 15 retina. 

Custom built 486DX with a whopping 16MB's memory, that I instantly upgraded to 32MB's.

Got a printer with it and it costs $1300 total! Haven't paid that much for the 9 computers I currently have altogether!

Our family's first computer was an Amiga 500 with 1mb of ram.

In 1998 we got our first PC which was a custom built Pentium 2 @300mhz with 128mb of ram, an 8.4gb hard drive and a 4mb ATI graphics card.

Both the Amiga and the PC still work today as far as i'm aware!

vobis highscreen pentium 120mhz with 8mg ram, windows 95, and 1,7gb hdd and 4x cd-rom drive. 15'' monitor with 60hz caused my eyes to blur and gave me headdache after 1 hour of using so.

my first computer was a tandy 1000 computer with monitor, external floppy drive and dot matrix printer.

one time I accidentally formatted the master boot disc(which wasnt protected for some reason) and radio shack charged $60 for a replacement.

also I still think dot matrix printer are still great compared to printers today.

it had a ink roll. just rewind the roll and it was still good.

I like the paper feeders in dot matrix printer. just sit the box below the printer and feed the folded paper into the printer.

and I never had paper jams like I do with ink jets. :angry:  I did get paper jams but not like the inkjets.

A nice IBM 286 from 1989.  First we had DOS, then Windows 3.0.   Brings back memories of Mega Man for PC and Quest for Glory.

System and Keyboard looked exactly like this, but the monitor was a bit more state of the art (yellowing plastic chasis) and a high contras ratio which made some very deep/rich colors more so than what my friends and school computers had.  I was really living it.

pc-at.jpg.optimized.jpg

My first PC was in 1995...

Packard Bell...

-486 dx2 66mhz CPU

-4MB of RAM (eventually upgraded to 8MB to play DooM)

-4xxMB hard drive

-2400 baud modem (i still have this somewhere i think)

-Windows v3.11

etc

p.s. so i was online/had a PC roughly 3-5 years before the internet/computers in general really went mainstream, which from my perception, seemed to be around 1998-2000 before it really took off. i was one of the first to get high speed internet (cable) in my area according to the guy who installed it and that was in the year 2000.

--------------------------------------------------------

-my 2nd PC was i think Aug 1996. i know it was 1996 something though and was a Packard Bell.

-my 3rd PC i am pretty sure was in the year 2000. E-Machines PC. i still have this but it collects dust as it's just too old to run anything nowadays as i about the only time i rarely use is for softmoding XBox1's at which point i TSOP them so i won't ever need to use the PC again since you can make it boot from DVD's then.

-my 4th PC was April 2001. this is a Alienware PC. (this is my backup for very basic internet in case my primary PC goes down and i need to order parts. it's got Lubuntu running on it now since Windows XP is no longer supported.)

-my 5th PC was March 2006. this is custom built PC.

-my 6th PC (my current one) May 2012. custom build PC. although this is the same case as the 5th PC's as all i did was swap out the Mobo/CPU/RAM. but it's enough to claim it's another PC.

The first thing i had in my room was an Acorn running RISC OS 2, followed by a few Windows 3.1 computers.

post-119364-0-71668400-1403760587.jpg

Then i got a Viglen Genie Executive running Windows 95 that the School IT Admin repaired, upgraded and gave to me. He was a great guy.

post-119364-0-94308500-1403760208.jpg

Back then computers seemed really exciting in themselves. They weren't necessarily connected to the internet, research was done with Encarta and occasionally an Essay was written in Word. Sounds silly but even the noise of older hard drives working away makes me nostalgic. Great times. I happened to buy an old compaq pc with a 486 cpu a couple of days ago for nostalgia purposes :p