• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Boot=up changes

larry    0

Just wondering if there is a way to change Bios or something so the computer doesn't have the Compaq screen when it starts up.

Malechai    116

Nope, I believe you're out of luck. Its built into the BIOS and I don't believe it can be changed. I could be wrong though!

You could always go buy a new motherboard :)

Ironguy    0

Look for a file called Logo.sys (I think). There may also be one called Logos.sys. These are the startup and shutdown pictures used in windows - I don't remember which is which. I don't remember if .sys is the exact extension. Simply rename any picture you want to one of these names and you're there. Of course, Compaq may have made this impossible as they tend to be overly proprietary but give it a whirl.

There are also tweak programs that allow you to disable completely the startup and shutdown pictures.

Hey!:china: How did they get my picture!

FalcoN    0
Originally posted by Ironguy  

Look for a file called Logo.sys (I think). There may also be one called Logos.sys. These are the startup and shutdown pictures used in windows - I don't remember which is which. I don't remember if .sys is the exact extension. Simply rename any picture you want to one of these names and you're there. Of course, Compaq may have made this impossible as they tend to be overly proprietary but give it a whirl.

There are also tweak programs that allow you to disable completely the startup and shutdown pictures.

Hey!:china: How did they get my picture!

I think he is not talking about the Windows startup/shutdown screens, but the BIOS startup screen. So i think it's not possible but it might be able to flash the BIOS or something with a modified Compaq BIOS updater, but I have no idea how to do that.

Also, the Windows startup screens are as following (only for 95/98 - not sure about ME):

Logo.sys - The startup screen - in C:

Logos.sys - The "It is now OK to turn off your computer" screen - in C:Windows

Logow.sys - The "Please wait while your computer shuts down" screen - in c:Windows

boobless    2

yes there is a way...i've changed my crappy compaq bios screen, just find out what brand motherboard you have then go to their site and get the bios from there.

hehe thats it.

mortensen    0

With my BIOS the disk comes with a utility that allows you to edit your own screen. This screen just covers up the BIOS and makes the system look a bit tidier. Check your disk or motherboard manual before going to update your BIOS. To update the picture you will need to disable any BIOS protection [called the BIOS Guardian in my BIOS].

PS - The disk also comes with an overclocking utility to overclock my CPU IN Windows, without having to go into BIOS. Motherboard disks often come with many useful programs so you should definititely check the motherboard disks if you haven't already.

-mortensenj