Battlefield 4 is part of the Xbox One Tour that hit Atlanta on Friday and this Examiner was able to give the game?s multiplayer a spin. This happened in the midst of controversy over rumors that the game is running at 720p on the next-gen console so how did the actual experience compare to rumors?

The current rumors of 720p for not just Battlefield 4 butCall of Duty: Ghosts on the Xbox One were started Saturday by former IGN writer and current Furious Fanboy site operator Jeremy Conrad. Things quickly exploded there and it became a hot topic on social media and in forums. While I was unable to confirm if Battlefield 4 was running at 720p on the Xbox One at the tour event, there were signs posted for just it and FIFA 14 that stated no pictures or video were to be taken. When I asked the attendants of both booths why this was, neither could give me an answer.

The madness of resolution rumors aside, Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One did look stunning in the two sessions I got to spend with it. It didn?t look as good as the PC version in the recent beta but it was reasonably close while also far outstripping what will be seen on the Xbox 360 when the game releases there this week. I can?t verify the resolution but the environment was highly detailed, the character animations were clean and the game was clearly running at a buttery-smooth 60 frames per second sitting just a couple of feet away from the HDTV.

The multiplayer demo was based on a small slice of the Zavod 311 map with an 8 versus 8 Domination map. No drivable vehicles were present as it was completely an infantry affair which means that the Assault class was the most used that I saw. The section of the larger map that was used centers around an abandoned tank manufacturing facility that dominates the middle of the map with two separate buildings connected by walkway between their roofs which are accessibly by ladders on the outside. One of the building?s roof went up another two floors giving players a vantage point of the entire battlefield and even into part of the next building. Meanwhile, the ground level of the building included a tank repair bay with a small sub-level which turned into a good spot to capture the Domination point on the main level.

The other two domination points were located in a section of the second building and outside in the middle of a number of parked tanks. This setup a triangle of death on the map as players constantly moved from point to point in attempts to capture or hold.

The Xbox One controller held up exceedingly well during this time. It?s a nice solid, upgrade over the Xbox 360 controller with the dead zone on the sticks reduced and the reported response time improvement was noticeable while playing. The lack of feedback in the triggers like what was present in the Forza Motorsport 5demo was disappointing as it is a major new feature and would have provided a good bit more immersion with firing weapons.

Without official word from DICE and Electronic Arts on the resolution for the Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 and the inability to do a direct comparison with the PS4, I can only say that the Xbox One version of the game looks great and plays great at this point. I would have liked to have seen vehicular play but such is life. How Battlefield 4 on the Xbox One stacks up to its console competitor graphically remains to be seen though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/battlefield-4-xbox-one-impressions-from-xbox-one-tour-event

Does anyone know if Battlefield 4 will be on the Xbox 360

Yes, it's even mentioned in the OP

There were signs posted for just it and FIFA 14 that stated no pictures or video were to be taken. When I asked the attendants of both booths why this was, neither could give me an answer.

Typical for gaming events.  They want official media (IGN, etc.) to have exclusive access, and they can't control what happens live on a floor.

It wouldn't be surprising that launch games run at lower resolutions than the system can handle since Microsoft and Sony sounds like they were basically rushing to get these consoles out the door. I'll be more interested to see what develops next year after devs have had some time to work the consoles. As long as the games play well and look good, I'm going to be happy.

It wouldn't be surprising that launch games run at lower resolutions than the system can handle since Microsoft and Sony sounds like they were basically rushing to get these consoles out the door. I'll be more interested to see what develops next year after devs have had some time to work the consoles. As long as the games play well and look good, I'm going to be happy.

Launch games always look like ass compared to the games that come out at the end of a consoles life. 

Have my Xbox 360 purchase pre-ordered, will be in the mailbox tomorrow! I will, of course, be taking advantage of the $10 Xbox One upgrade upon release or sometime in December as well.

Launch games always look like ass compared to the games that come out at the end of a consoles life. 

Truth. Anyone doubting this guy should go check out Perfect Dark vs. Halo 4 / BF3(4?) / GTA V, though, to be fair, each of these mentions comes with a separate disc for textures, but still shows off the capabilities of the console.

looks great and plays great?  Who cares about stuff like this... resolution means everything!!!

Lol, the way some people on this forum post, you'd think so.

It's pretty great to keep hearing excellent news out of people who've actually played the console.

How dare you post something positive about the One?!...  Who do you think you are!?  the internet is currently reserved for either,praising any gaming system not from Microsoft, or saying something negative about the Xbox One.

real x1 developer also making a game for ps4

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet
  • Like 2

well if this guy is trust worthy, then it calls into question why the COD team MIGHT be having trouble matching that. That is, if those rumors are even true.

if BF4 runs at 1080p on x1 theres someat messed up, the gfx detail wont be as good etc. Ive just bought a r9 280x toxic crsysis 3 at absolute max is crying at average 35 fps, try run that on your x1 it will bring it to its knees. But i will have to mention mantle... the "killer api" but i think it will be. dx11 is dated its designed to work with everything and MS has no intention in development time to make it better. So radeon hardware with spoecific optimised paths to its hardware bypassing translation layers in the dx api should account for alot BUT we'll find out in december and i hop its amazing the the amd crowd can start destroying nvidia for FREE with lesser hardware :P

says who?  DX11.2 was literally just released.  Why would they stop there?

dx 11.2 is just released only in win 8.1 BUT youd have to do a direct comparison between mantle and 11.2 to get the benefits BUT becuase its AMD allowing mantle API pretty much direct access to the metal of the hardware its hard to ignore the optimistaions. 11.2 is basically enhancement on opengl 4.2 PRT its different. maybe if both came together could be gpood but youve still got the fundamental disadvantage of dx11.2 over lets say hardcore api

Oh and btw this mantle api is pretty much present in the X1 so its a natural evolution to the PC hardware.... thanks for making my 280x more powerful than it is. i appreciate it :P

dx 11.2 is just released only in win 8.1 BUT youd have to do a direct comparison between mantle and 11.2 to get the benefits BUT becuase its AMD allowing mantle API pretty much direct access to the metal of the hardware its hard to ignore the optimistaions. 11.2 is basically enhancement on opengl 4.2 PRT its different. maybe if both came together could be gpood but youve still got the fundamental disadvantage of dx11.2 over lets say hardcore api

There is no reason to believe MS had discontinued development of DirectX.  And Mantle is DICE/EA/AMD exclusive at first, so not relevant to half as many people as DX is.

There is no reason to believe MS had discontinued development of DirectX.  And Mantle is DICE/EA/AMD exclusive at first, so not relevant to half as many people as DX is.

DX wil never be discontinued cus its an API that can be used on anything but for first party titles etc that want squeeze every ounce of performance out of the chips its a natural evolution to an api that will allow them to do that. You dont need mantle to make a fart game on the app store etc. The titles that push the boundaries of computer gfx.... if mantle is as good as we al think... will change the face of the AAA games industry as they have instantl;y accessible extreme amoutn of gfx processing that console sjust dont have

-_-  you mean to tell me the Xbox One was in my city for the last three days and I didn't know jack about it...........guess I have to wait 25ish more days.

Nice contradiction there.  I give up.  You are clearly excellent at rambling.

ok one of the main reasons consoles can perform better is cus they achieve like 20-30,000 draw calls a second or someat but with MS translation layers in the dx api can ahcieve a maximum of 5000.... mantle api reckon it can ahcive 9x more draw calls compared to average PC so basically less CPU interaction, higher thorugput of instructions,... is that bad???? oh and bypasses the translation layers cus its not translating ###### all so its a ###### storm faster... your move!!!!

I wasn't going to even consider buying a next-gen console early but if the Xbox One runs Battlefield 4 at 1080p/60, then I will buy it. That is, 1080p native resolution (not 720p upscaled to 1080p).

I thought Mantle was the XB1 API ported to Windows? Anandtech seems to think so, and AMD gave Anandtech the thumbs up on their article where they said so...

nope. x1 uses its own low level api that Microsoft will be bringing over to windows. mantle will become irrelevant because it will create fragmentation, and there is no way in hell Nvidia will use the GCN architecture.

• Like 1

I thought Mantle was the XB1 API ported to Windows? Anandtech seems to think so, and AMD gave Anandtech the thumbs up on their article where they said so...

Both MS and AMD have confirmed that it is not.