Well like I said, regardless of how close they may look when viewed, those numbers will be hammered home as a pr advantage for Sony.

900p vs 720p is something Sony can point to now. It also make me think that COD could likely end up with the same split. If so, the pr for Sony will be in full swing.

They can point to it but it hasn't really ever mattered in the past, so I doubt it will make much impact now. I think web reviews tend to have more of an impact and that's not exactly in Sony's favor.

The xbox version definitely looks better. I guess they have the better upscaler. 

Having spent some time with that Eurogamer's images tool, I yet again revise my earlier opinion. XB1 looks better, somehow, even though the difference are small. Sharper and I'm a sucker for more saturation  :D. Looks almost my BF3 setup + SweetFX

Now if by some miracle Dice manage to increase the resolution and decrease those unsightly jaggies before XB1 launch I'll be most impressed, though I'm not holding my breath on that. The PS4 version almost looks like a 720p image put through an upscaler to 1080p as it looks strangely fuzzy and muted. 

Also, on twitter there's some developer called Kevin Dent claiming that XB1 BF4 is currently 1080p60. Who is he, and is he legit? He's putting out some ultra-combative posts insisting that XB1 is 1080p, so either he's the worlds biggest troll looking for 15min fame or he is telling the truth.  

I can't decide which one I think looks better, XB1 certainly looks clearer but at times looks a little too sharp and almost jagged. PS4 is definatly a more smoother looking texture but at some times looks a little fuzzy. Regardless of which one "looks best" I think there certainly isn't a clear winner at this stage so the extra power the PS4 isn't being put to good use yet but I suspect that won't really be seen for at least the first 1-2 years anyway when the devs start to get a handle on things.

game play does look amazing though, not sure I'll pick this game up but it will be near the top of the list.

I can't decide which one I think looks better, XB1 certainly looks clearer but at times looks a little too sharp and almost jagged. PS4 is definatly a more smoother looking texture but at some times looks a little fuzzy. Regardless of which one "looks best" I think there certainly isn't a clear winner at this stage so the extra power the PS4 isn't being put to good use yet but I suspect that won't really be seen for at least the first 1-2 years anyway when the devs start to get a handle on things.

game play does look amazing though, not sure I'll pick this game up but it will be near the top of the list.

In the multiplayer video ps4 to me looks better. In the single player, they look very similar. I will get it on Xbox though, that is where my friends are!

The IGN footage was a draw. I had to scrutinize that video several times over... Both have their strength and weaknesses.

This will be a PS3/360 war all over again. The graphics won't be enough to sway people to either system. There will be more factors for next gen though. Infrastructure will be HUGE deal for next gen. Quality games of course (which Sony has always had). Price for some

Social is the HOTTNESS right now. And neither console (rather people prefer to be offline or not) can feel like a isolated, anti social Box, with no way to the outside world.

The games on both will look amazing. That's a no-brainer. INFRASTRUCTURE will be the defining factor for next gen. Not the Indies, not the cameras, not the graphics... Games are a given... Infrastructure will be out in the spotlight...

The IGN footage was a draw. I had to scrutinize that video several times over... Both have their strength and weaknesses.

This will be a PS3/360 war all over again. The graphics won't be enough to sway people to either system. There will be more factors for next gen though. Infrastructure will be HUGE deal for next gen. Quality games of course (which Sony has always had). Price for some

Social is the HOTTNESS right now. And neither console (rather people prefer to be offline or not) can feel like a isolated, anti social Box, with no way to the outside world.

The games on both will look amazing. That's a no-brainer. INFRASTRUCTURE will be the defining factor for next gen. Not the Indies, not the cameras, not the graphics... Games are a given... Infrastructure will be out in the spotlight...

Have fun reading this topic - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705667

Don't worry I'm not posting any of those rumours here, I think people would end up in rehab around these woods.

edit: Noticed my YT link above broke

Also there was apparently issues with the DF footage

The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible.

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JF used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87932265#post87932265

Here is the jackfrag footage

and

Have fun reading this topic - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705667

Don't worry I'm not posting any of those rumours here, I think people would end up in rehab around these woods.

Here is the jackfrag footage

and

The PS4 video here does look much better than the one I viewed earlier.  Sony's PS4 does show some impressive textures and graphics.  But there is no where near 30-50% more power showing.

if BF4 runs at 1080p on x1 theres someat messed up, the gfx detail wont be as good etc. Ive just bought a r9 280x toxic crsysis 3 at absolute max is crying at average 35 fps, try run that on your x1 it will bring it to its knees. But i will have to mention mantle... the "killer api" but i think it will be. dx11 is dated its designed to work with everything and MS has no intention in development time to make it better. So radeon hardware with spoecific optimised paths to its hardware bypassing translation layers in the dx api should account for alot BUT we'll find out in december and i hop its amazing the the amd crowd can start destroying nvidia for FREE with lesser hardware :p

I see you don't understand the difference between a console and a computer and DX on a computer and a console. DX on a console is basically Mantle, but better.

Well you win obviously. You have hit your goal :laugh:

Seriously though, its definitely not good for the X1 for this kind of stuff to turn out to be true so early in the new gen.  Unless they prove its al down to needing more time optimizing for the X1

The PS4 video here does look much better than the one I viewed earlier.  Sony's PS4 does show some impressive textures and graphics.  But there is no where near 30-50% more power showing.

Well the PS4 is outputting 50% more pixels at a better frame rate, doesn't that count?

Pre-release software has bugs, who would've thought! Btw, same topic also lists similar problems on Sony side of the camp.

Is there a non-youtube version of that IGN video? I can't get youtube to play that video above 480p for some reason. :laugh:

After the whole X1 vs PS4 thing, its interesting to see that its likely that the PS4 will not be able to push 1080p/60 for these multiplatform titles. Neither console can reach the bar that many have set for the next gen.

The question remains, can developers squeeze more out of these consoles over time to reach that 1080p/60 level?  Will it be like every previous gen where you see games get better and better over the course of several years, or since these things are closer to pcs, will we see the improvements be much smaller?

snip

lol, so now we are resorting to comparing SP and MP footage? polygon,df,ign video clearly shows the superior looking textures of the xbox version, whereas the blurring is prevalent on the PS4 version. you can take a look at the screenshots on polygons site, it looks very similar to the df shots.

• Like 2

Well the PS4 is outputting 50% more pixels at a better frame rate, doesn't that count?

To me, graphically the PS4 definitely wins in this port, but it also loses badly to the PC. If you want the best graphics get the PC version.

This is the one area the PS4 was supposed to shine, running FPS ports as good as a PC, but it failed. It came nowhere close to the PC and lacks all the media features of the Xbox One as an entertainment hub. Basically the PS4 to me serves no purpose, at least not until the elite first party games arrive.

To me, graphically the PS4 definitely wins in this port, but it also loses badly to the PC. If you want the best graphics get the PC version.

This is the one area the PS4 was supposed to shine, running FPS ports as good as a PC, but it failed. It came nowhere close to the PC and lacks all the media features of the Xbox One as an entertainment hub. Basically the PS4 to me serves no purpose, at least not until the elite first party games arrive.

How does blurry textures win? blurry textures are far more noticeable than such a small resolution difference. this is one of the few games I prefer on the PC anyway though. 

From what i have seen here the X1 does look alot better on textures and even though it is a lower resolution it looks pretty much the same as the PS4 version.

So glad i went with buying an X1. :)

• Like 2

How does blurry textures win? blurry textures are far more noticeable than such a small resolution difference. this is one of the few games I prefer on the PC anyway though. 

The PS4 upscaler seems to suck pretty badly. At least in the SDK kit. But the textures do seem to have more detail and the frame rate did seem more stable. In the multiplayer video it was most evident, I couldn't really tell in the single player campaign.

You are right though, unless they fix that upscaler in the final system the graphics appearance will probably look better/sharper on Xbox simply because they are losing so much in the scaling process in comparison. Also worth noting the way DX and OpenGL do upscaling is very different so that might be where the problem lies. Especially with DX doing resource independent scaling without any extra work.

It's the textures themselves that are lower res, not the upscaler, the upscaler also has issues, but that's in addition to the textures. though it doesn't help the texture issues any. 

j3LuLFUeaymSf.png

Wow so impressed with the X1 texture compared to the other 2, i would be interested to know if the PC version was running on reduced settings as i would expect it to look better than the X1 version.