Why Apple Wants to Bust Your iPhone

Why Apple Wants to Bust Your iPhone

At first, I thought it was my imagination. Around the time the iPhone 5S and 5C were released, in September, I noticed that my sad old iPhone 4 was becoming a lot more sluggish. The battery was starting to run down much faster, too. But the same thing seemed to be happening to a lot of people who, like me, swear by their Apple products. When I called tech analysts, they said that the new operating system (iOS 7) being pushed out to existing users was making older models unbearably slow. Apple phone batteries, which have a finite number of charges in them to begin with, were drained by the new software. So I could pay Apple $79 to replace the battery, or perhaps spend 20 bucks more for an iPhone 5C. It seemed like Apple was sending me a not-so-subtle message to upgrade.

Continue reading...

• Like 1

News now in... new operating system is harder on older hardware than old version of the same operating system.

We are surprised why?

News now in... new operating system is harder on older hardware than old version of the same operating system.

We are surprised why?

because apple pushes it, rather then offering it as download, thus encouraging the user to upgrade.    it should not be pushed on older devices that will be slowed down considerably by it.

• Like 4

because apple pushes it, rather then offering it as download, thus encouraging the user to upgrade.    it should not be pushed on older devices that will be slowed down considerably by it.

its isn't pushed on older phones that cant handle it, this is why the 3GS was dropped from the update. i have a couple iphones 4  models in the offfice here that i use on occasion, i have seen no slow down of the iphone 4 after the MANUAL download (on all the idevices, i had to actually tell it to download) and install, after a huge update like this, its should be common sense to do a system reset. After the system reset, the phone has the same battery life and speed. 

You still have to TELL it to install. It doesn't do anything automatically. You could easily not upgrade.

You still have to TELL it to install. It doesn't do anything automatically. You could easily not upgrade.

it automatically (iOS7) downloads....so if you don't upgrade you have 1GB of hidden install files with no possibility to remove them 

newer iOS has always work a little worse on older hardware. the 3G was a POS when you went up to ios4. the 3gs wasn't great with ios5/6 but was pretty slick with ios4 etc. 

iOS7 didn't do these things to my 4S when I had it. It was still silky smooth and had great battery life.  But my contract was up, so naturally I upgraded.

My biggest gripe has been with battery. Upgrade each time to new iOS and battery sucks.

It's because of the way batteries work.

Basically your phones firmware / OS has to make a best guess on how much battery life remains, when it's just reset / new that estimate will be really conservative. As you use your phone more and more, the OS becomes much better at predicting what % of battery is left.

Well if its true or not I am buying a Nexus 5 when it comes out because iOS7 has ballsed up my iPhone4 royally. Lots of small niggly thing slike keyboard lag and not being unable to unlock the phone with my pin (just hangs after entering the pin)

I have reached t he point of frustration with this phone that its time for a change...a change to Android :)

• Like 1

Well if its true or not I am buying a Nexus 5 when it comes out because iOS7 has ballsed up my iPhone4 royally. Lots of small niggly thing slike keyboard lag and not being unable to unlock the phone with my pin (just hangs after entering the pin)

I have reached t he point of frustration with this phone that its time for a change...a change to Android :)

I love Androids.. but the batteries on those devices are just as crazy of not more :D

I love Androids.. but the batteries on those devices are just as crazy of not more :D

We'll see what its like. I will wait for some reviews and decide then. The battery on this iPhone 4 barely lasts a day and I am by no means a heavy user so even if its comparable or slightly worse I dont think it will make much difference to a user like me.

Thing is, I had this almost identical conversation with my wife.

Why couldn't apple have done what samsung did with the s3 is beyond me.

Note. I'M NOT HATING ON APPLE. I just think if they released the flagship with similar hardware spec as my phone, my wife's phone would still be as strong a device after updating, as mine.

I apologise if this post doesn't make sense, articulation isn't my strongest suit.

And instead of making current devices unbearable to use for those who are afflicted, it would make satisfaction of said product manufacturer greater. People would still buy the latest iphone, instead of feeling forced to.

I myself was considering to get the 4s, at the last moment I changed my mind, don't get me wrong, I don't love my s3, I never bonded with it or grow attatched like I used to with my beloved Nokia N series phones, I'm getting rid of it in the new year when my o2 refresh is much cheaper and becomes a viable option to try a wp device, that way I can at least say I've tried all 3 os's.

But I'm also a person who thinks, if product x satisfsction has dropped for a user, the user's best protest is to not buy from x manufacturer, if millions of users do this, then the manufacturer would be forced to make the changes their customers want.

It's your money guys, they have to prove that they provide something better than their rivals to win your custom.

i don't think they forced ios7 on people to make them upgrade, it was to keep fragmentation out of the picture...

ios7 being crappy on older phones is just a bonus to them, by making people buy a new phone! 

almost like adding just a couple things to each new phone to keep people buying them every 6 months or so.  no one seriously believes that apple couldn't have come out with a bigger screen for the 5s, do they?   no way, people will buy the 5s, then buy the 6 when it comes out it a few months because it's relatively the same phone, but with a bigger screen.

We are surprised why?

Except the hardware isn't that old...

The performance gained by going from A4 to A5 and from A6 to A7 chips has been incremental at best imho.

• Like 1

Every release of Android since I bought my Nexus 4 has made my battery life shorter and the OS slower... shocking isn't it!

The grass is not greener on the other side.

Except the hardware isn't that old...

The performance gained by going from A4 to A5 and from A6 to A7 chips has been incremental at best imho.

The hardware is 3 generations old, and saying the speed difference is incremental is like saying Haswell chips are only fractionally quicker and less battery intensive than Westmere/Nehalem chips.  It just isn't true - my iPhone 4 is over 3 and a half years old now, that's an absolute age in mobile processor technology.

OS's continue to get heavier over time, with a couple of small exceptions.  It's reality deal with it.

The battery was starting to run down much faster

didn't Windows 8.1 'upgrade' for surface and laptop did the same?

but at least Microsoft actually acknowledge the problem and issuing the patches.

So, please Microsoft, please stop copying the evil Apple way.