EA Cancels Command & Conquer

EA Cancels Command & Conquer

ku-bigpic.jpg

And another Command & Conquer game bites the dust: EA has just axed the latest in the longrunning strategy series, the company announced today.

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play," a rep for developer Victory Games wrote in a blog post published this afternoon. "That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game."

Originally announced as Command & Conquer: Generals 2 at the 2011 Spike VGAs, this incarnation of Command & Conquer was to be a free-to-play game for PC. It entered alpha during the summer.

On top of the cancellation, as spotted by Polygon, employees of Victory Games are tweeting that EA has shut the studio down. Victory Games, an LA-based studio that has been working on this new Command & Conquer game for three years now, has not released any other games.

Here's the full blog post announcing the game's cancellation:

Generals,

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. It?s been much appreciated, and you?ve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldn?t be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it?s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

- Victory Studios

This is the fourth Command & Conquer game to be cancelled in the past decade. Maybe the series is cursed? EA shut down Westwood Studios, the company behind the iconic real-time strategy series, back in 2003, and many fans would argue that the series has not been the same since.

Source: Kotaku

And another Command & Conquer game bites the dust: EA has just axed the latest in the longrunning strategy series, the company announced today.

That's pretty crap.  I'd have played more but I couldn't even load the game recently.

The last Command & Conquer game I played and enjoyed was Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge.  Lots of time spent playing that game.  I tried C&C3 years later and didn't like it much.

• Like 2

I guess EA is on a one company mission to destroy the gaming platform forever?

:omg:  It's the Illuminati!!!

On a separate note, they did themselves a favor by canceling this release. Really.

:omg:  It's the Illuminati!!!

On a separate note, they did themselves a favor by canceling this release. Really.

Gamers find themselves in a difficult position when EA acquires their favorite game series. If they want to see it survive in any form, they'll have to support whatever half-finished, Micro payment ladened Version EA will churn out on a yearly basis, if Gamers vote with their wallet on games, it will be cut off without mercy, and EA will blame lack of sales of piracy or some rubbish, and then implement even more crippling DLC on the next game.

So it's a choice of see your favourite game series die, or see it in a hospital bed, a vegetable on life support.

Good news everyone!!!

The CnC name has been tarnished more then enough! Let it die and let us keep its good memories. It died the moment EA took over and half of the Westwood team quit (those responsible for most of the important parts of their games).

CnC3 is horrible, RA3 makes my ******* crunch together... Bringing the *craft model into CnC, how DARE they (right click for actions etc ...)

Gamers find themselves in a difficult position when EA acquires their favorite game series. If they want to see it survive in any form, they'll have to support whatever half-finished, Micro payment ladened Version EA will churn out on a yearly basis, if Gamers vote with their wallet on games, it will be cut off without mercy, and EA will blame lack of sales of piracy or some rubbish, and then implement even more crippling DLC on the next game.

So it's a choice of see your favourite game series die, or see it in a hospital bed, a vegetable on life support.

This! If everyone who would've loved CnC games, actually bought them... Westwood would probably still be here. I don't think I know anyone in my surroundings that owned the original besides myself.

Westwood was leaking money, would go bankrupt if continued same way... We saw similar happening to Gas Powered Games recently, giving us a wonderful RTS (IMO the best RTS in the last decade, by far)... still dying, and why, because of piracy.(I never bought the original myself until it was to late either, money issues at the time, not greed)

Same for MAXIS and Bullfrog :( Dungeon Keeper 2 sucked, CnC3 sucked, SC5 sucked.... do we see a pattern here? :/

As a fan of Generals, I liked their original plan to ship a traditional boxed product before the switch to F2P.

Later, I also saw the merits of a "live" service that could be improved over time.

I was in the alpha, and I really didn't like the gameplay.  I couldn't really tell you exactly why, and I usually left it to more technical alpha members to voice their criticism.

I was in the alpha, and I really didn't like the gameplay.

I didn't like the shoehorning the C&C main storyline choppers into the Generals universe.  Huge air fan from Generals.

I didn't play PvP but I would've gotten a few more rounds in.  The AI wasn't really worth anything yet though.

I lost interest in C&C a long time ago. Sucks for the fans but I don't know many gamers will really mourn the loss of this series.

I will mourn what C&C started life as, not what EA turned it into.

I didn't like the shoehorning the C&C main storyline choppers into the Generals universe.  Huge air fan from Generals.

I didn't play PvP but I would've gotten a few more rounds in.  The AI wasn't really worth anything yet though.

You mean the VTOLs?  I thought they were alright.

The AI wasn't really worth anything yet though.

The AI was terrible in Tiberium wars. It knew what what, where and when you were doing something. And it had ridiculous abilities to spam units, especially when it was on hard settings.

Also it sucked to play as anything other than that scrim faction. That was ridiculously overpowered.  

The AI was terrible in Tiberium wars. It knew what what, where and when you were doing something. And it had ridiculous abilities to spam units, especially when it was on hard settings.

Also it sucked to play as anything other than that scrim faction. That was ridiculously overpowered.  

When C&C3 came out for 360, me and 2 friends used to love going in a match, playing as GDI/NOD and having a Hard Scrin enemy, we'd be on the same team and we'd try to survive. 

When C&C3 came out for 360, me and 2 friends used to love going in a match, playing as GDI/NOD and having a Hard Scrin enemy, we'd be on the same team and we'd try to survive. 

Once I bet the max number of hard scrim on the largest map. Definitely the highlight of my RTS gaming, it was a very special occasion lol. No idea what the AI was doing in that particular game. Never repeated though :(

RTS + Controller

What-Meme-150x150.png

Yes if done right are very easy and playable. Its when devs try to shoehorn PC controls onto a controller it can be a little awkward. 

I only played Generals skirmish coop with my brother.  I couldn't even tell you how much.  And the Aurora Bombers were my favorite unit.

The AI seemed fine in Generals.  In this game, it just wasn't ready yet.  Hard was another name for Easy.  Even Easy wasn't ready.

I only played Generals skirmish coop with my brother.  I couldn't even tell you how much.  And the Aurora Bombers were my favorite unit.

The AI seemed fine in Generals.  In this game, it just wasn't ready yet.  Hard was another name for Easy.  Even Easy wasn't ready.

Generals was wonderful. The Chinook was my favourite unit. I'd make stupidly strong defenses and sit out the entire match, until at the very end I'd do massive airborne assaults on whoever was left :D

The only problem was that I really needed a few traffic cops to sort out the massive traffic/tank-jams that inevitably resulted...