PS4 will not support media servers, DLNA functionality

To me if your single and under 30 then multiple devices and all that is no big deal.  Media stuff is no big deal.  If you have a family though all that stuff becomes a big deal. Convenience suddenly becomes super important.

I see your point but even before I hit that stage, I wanted all-in-one stuff.

I carry a smartphone for a reason. I don't want a separate phone, mp3 player, GPS nav etc. I have one thing that does it all.

Same with my console.

I carry a smartphone for a reason. I don't want a separate phone, mp3 player, GPS nav etc. I have one thing that does it all.

Same with my console.

Yeah everyones different.  I liked all in one stuff too when i was younger but it would not have been a deal breaker like it is now for me.  5 years ago I would be buying a ps4 and just getting seperate media device or buying a phone then buying a mp3 player if the mp3 player was better at what it did.  These days its the biggest factor lol so i get where people are coming from because i didnt understand the need for all in one that much back then. Aint nobody got time for dat!

To me if your single and under 30 then multiple devices and all that is no big deal.  Media stuff is no big deal.  If you have a family though all that stuff becomes a big deal. Convenience suddenly becomes super important.

I am sorry that does not make much sense either.  It would be far better financial wise to get a PS4 and a cheap media player (Chromecast or RPI or something else) then spend $500 to get the same thing.  You would be spending less money.  

I am sorry that does not make much sense either.  It would be far better financial wise to get a PS4 and a cheap media player (Chromecast or RPI or something else) then spend $500 to get the same thing.  You would be spending less money.

Why does this keep getting said.

1. The discussion is if the PS4 had these features, then you would only need to own it to get the gaming you wanted and the media features you needed. No additional box would be necessary.

2. Choosing the X1 over the PS4 would be worth it to the user that see more games he wants on it, certain features that he prefers to have, and if he find any value in Kinect for voice or gesture support.

If your going to buy either console solely for their media capabilities and gaming is not an interest, then getting a ps4 + chromecast is just as wasteful since you had little or not interest in gaming in the first place. While I don't think its a smart move to buy consoles for that since you can build a full features htpc with bluray support, it has happened before (i.e. the ps3)

Why does this keep getting said.

1. The discussion is if the PS4 had these features, then you would only need to own it to get the gaming you wanted and the media features you needed. No additional box would be necessary.

2. Choosing the X1 over the PS4 would be worth it to the user that see more games he wants on it, certain features that he prefers to have, and if he find any value in Kinect for voice or gesture support.

If your going to buy either console solely for their media capabilities and gaming is not an interest, then getting a ps4 + chromecast is just as wasteful since you had little or not interest in gaming in the first place. While I don't think its a smart move to buy consoles for that since you can build a full features htpc with bluray support, it has happened before (i.e. the ps3)

I was replying to the guy that said when you are single, it is okay to have multiple devices, but if you are not single it is suddenly horrible to have multiple devices.  

If the PS4 gives you all your gaming needs, but you also want media capabilities, it makes more financial sense to get a PS4 and a cheap media device instead of a 500 console.  That was my point.  Finances are far more important than convenience of having everything in one single device.

I was replying to the guy that said when you are single, it is okay to have multiple devices, but if you are not single it is suddenly horrible to have multiple devices.  

If the PS4 gives you all your gaming needs, but you also want media capabilities, it makes more financial sense to get a PS4 and a cheap media device instead of a 500 console.  That was my point.  Finances are far more important than convenience of having everything in one single device.

Well I guess everyone has to decide how much that convenience is worth.

Your right though, if you prefer the gaming on the ps4 and have no interest in anything regarding the X1, your much better off get a ps4 + one of those cheap streaming options.

I kinda question this...  I can stay on one input (HDMI) and never turn to another channel or input IMHO is worth the extra $70 or so... I can watch tv, skype, change channels, volume, with out ever touching the controller,  then when my family and friends are ready to game I can just say, Xbox (go to game)...then grab controller and game....

The media features will evolve BIG time as the Xbox One grows...  Tv features that come now and what happens in the next 18months after will be big for Microsoft.

I kinda question this...  I can stay on one input (HDMI) and never turn to another channel or input IMHO is worth the extra $70 or so... I can watch tv, skype, change channels, volume, with out ever touching the controller,  then when my family and friends are ready to game I can just say, Xbox (go to game)...then grab controller and game....

The media features will evolve BIG time as the Xbox One grows...  Tv features that come now and what happens in the next 18months after will be big for Microsoft.

$70 is a lot to some people.  In fact, the ONLY reason I am getting the PS4 first is because I would rather save $100.  Even though I would prefer the XBox One, I want to save $100.

I am no cheapy too. 

$70 is a lot to some people.  In fact, the ONLY reason I am getting the PS4 first is because I would rather save $100.  Even though I would prefer the XBox One, I want to save $100.

I am no cheapy too.

I agree with this. Like you, I plan to own both. I can't afford to buy both at launch, nor does that make much sense to me considering the launch lineups and possible OS issues that will need to be updated over the first year. So if I feel that the game lineups are the same, nothing sticking out to me, and the none of the features offered by either pull me in a direction, then its going to come down to price.

I agree with this. Like you, I plan to own both. I can't afford to buy both at launch, nor does that make much sense to me considering the launch lineups and possible OS issues that will need to be updated over the first year. So if I feel that the game lineups are the same, nothing sticking out to me, and the none of the features offered by either pull me in a direction, then its going to come down to price.

I can respect that, because ya'll find no value in the features outside of gaming, without bashing it. 

To not touch a remote (will be pulling the batteries out of them), and not change a channel, to hit up friends while gaming and to Skype during College BBall and NFL games... To follow people twitter style (to maybe even hop into their game for some fun) and such is more than worth it to me...

and much as I suck at online shooter, Titanfall has grabbed my attention and kept it so far... 

I still haven't made up my mind in regards to keeping the PS4 or not yet.... infamous will be when I really want one...

Same with my console.

Jack of all trades, master of none eh :p

Jack of all trades, master of none eh :p

The world is going that way, yes.

More and more consumers don't need something to be a 'master' of just one thing. It's the 'good enough' crowd.

Of course anyone that demands a dedicated device for each function will see this as a major dumbing down of tech in general.

The flip side is, there are ways to make a general use device that can be molded to do specific things very well. A pc comes to my mind for that. You could call it a jack of all trades, and yet it can also master specific tasks if you want it to. I think consoles taking on more pc traits will start to act like that as well thanks to app development.

Except not really true. well not any less than the PS4 anyway. the XO is as game focused as the PS4.

You're quick to defend something I wasn't even talking about. GG

You're quick to defend something I wasn't even talking about. GG

oh really, so what was your comment supposed to mean then... :rolleyes: 

sure in some peoples eyes it won't be a master of the game trade compared to a PC. but that's only in some peopels eyes and isn't really true. there are many games that simply work a lot better on consoles. 

heck even games I play on the PC like BF4. man I miss the Xbox Live matchmaking and balancing. 

Now, not only do I need to find a decent server (preferably scandinavia, but I'll take germany and GB to) and even when I find a 64 player server that's "full" but with just enough room for me. I have to make sure it's balanced. of course that only lasts so long as all the high level high skill player eventually gravitate to the same side. and you have this stupid 0 vs 400-600 tickets wins... I wish they would have skill based balancing on the servers like you get on the XBL games. but alas. 

oh really, so what was your comment supposed to mean then... :rolleyes:

sure in some peoples eyes it won't be a master of the game trade compared to a PC. but that's only in some peopels eyes and isn't really true. there are many games that simply work a lot better on consoles. 

heck even games I play on the PC like BF4. man I miss the Xbox Live matchmaking and balancing. 

Now, not only do I need to find a decent server (preferably scandinavia, but I'll take germany and GB to) and even when I find a 64 player server that's "full" but with just enough room for me. I have to make sure it's balanced. of course that only lasts so long as all the high level high skill player eventually gravitate to the same side. and you have this stupid 0 vs 400-600 tickets wins... I wish they would have skill based balancing on the servers like you get on the XBL games. but alas. 

No really, I wasn't talking about consoles :laugh:, so I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of the tripe you posted. But you did beautifully demonstrate you like to jump on my comments without reading the topic or the context of posts you reply to (Y)

So you replied specifically to a post about a console and it's ability to do multiple functions, with a reply about how they do a lot of things but don't do any of them good. but you weren't talking about a console... in the console thread... sure. that makes sense. 

So you replied specifically to a post about a console and it's ability to do multiple functions, with a reply about how they do a lot of things but don't do any of them good. but you weren't talking about a console... in the console thread... sure. that makes sense.

We were talking about my phone :p read the thread FFS.
  • Like 3

You and Spenser really do make me laugh :laugh: Better luck next time lads.