Ubisoft kills online pass system after Assassin's Creed 4 shipwreck

Ubisoft kills online pass system after Assassin's Creed 4 shipwreck

By Timothy J. Seppala posted Nov 1st, 2013 at 3:50 AM

ubisoft-dropping-uplay-assassins-creed-4

Ubisoft has sent its online pass program to Davy Jones' locker following players' complaints over gated content in Assassin's Creed 4: Black FlagBefore, if players wanted to access the game's online multiplayer features, companion app and related bonuses they would have to input a single-use code that came with new copies ofBlack Flag. Not any more, though. The French publisher has completely scrapped the Uplay Passport system from all upcoming games and is providing free codes via Xbox Live and PlayStation Network for players who don't have one (e.g., because they bought a used game or borrowed it from a friend). With Electronic Arts dropping its online pass system earlier this year, Sony doing the same for its first-party software and Ubisoft finally following suit, one of the game industry's more awkward experiments could finally be behind us.

Source: Engaget

:bounce:  :fun:  :punk:

I never understood the big deal about online passes it's just the console's attempt at serial numbers that PC gamers have had for years.  God forbid if a developer makes some attempt to ensure that the person who is playing bought their game.  The implementation could have been better but I assure you that in some form or another it will return.

If consoles eventually go fully digital and just copy steam then it'll will essentially accomplish the same goal.  The developers are trying to make sure console users don't buy a game and spread it out across ten different people.

I never understood the big deal about online passes it's just the console's attempt at serial numbers that PC gamers have had for years.  God forbid if a developer makes some attempt to ensure that the person who is playing bought their game.  The implementation could have been better but I assure you that in some form or another it will return.

If consoles eventually go fully digital and just copy steam then it'll will essentially accomplish the same goal.  The developers are trying to make sure console users don't buy a game and spread it out across ten different people.

You really can't do that with physical media.  If you have the disc you should be able to access all the content.  The fact that they would sell you an online pass after the fact attests to this.  They just wanted to minimize the used game market by making it less attractive to purchase without its multiplayer and other gameplay included.

Happy birthday, BTW.

Amazing news. It would be nice if they released patches that did the same for some of their "older" releases like Far Cry 3.

Wonder if part of the decision is also related to the security breach Uplay had recently.

Now Sony's one of the hold outs for online passes.

Or I could pay attention and not overlook the part where sony's getting rid of it for there 1st party game in the article.

You really can't do that with physical media.  If you have the disc you should be able to access all the content.  The fact that they would sell you an online pass after the fact attests to this.  They just wanted to minimize the used game market by making it less attractive to purchase without its multiplayer and other gameplay included.

Happy birthday, BTW.

why thank you.....and it could work with physical media.  It worked for PC gaming for years before steam.  PC gaming has always been a one time nontransferable license that you were purchasing.  You had access to all of that content forever and ever.  Ironically the great Steam has done what developers have wanted for years, stopped people from being able to share games that they already purchased by binding it to that one person's account.

I don't believe an online pass should be used to exclude single player features but I can understand if a developer wants to put content behind a walled garden for people who technically did not pay them for their product.  If you buy used that's what you are doing.

Hooray, and about time too. (Y)

If I buy a game, I expect ALL of the features. Why should a person that preordered get a bonus that I shouldn't be entitled to - or later have to pay extra for!

Another ###### industry experiment bits the dust.

I think people told them ages ago that these sucked, but they have to test it and find out for themselves.

I wish I could believe this 100%, but news keeps trickling through of online passes still being implemented in some form next-gen. Even Sony said they'll exist in some form and it's left to 3rd parties to decide.

If Ubi do kill them completely then great. Next on the agenda, kill UPlay :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Another bull**** industry experiment bits the dust.

I think people told them ages ago that these sucked, but they have to test it and find out for themselves.

There's that saying if you give corporations an inch they'll take a mile, consumers should remain vigilant.

I hadn't seen this until it got brought back to the top, but good. I was actually a little disappointed to open all my PS4 games and have stupid online codes to enter still. I thought we were going to get rid of this crap a long time ago.

I was never a fan of online passes. It's ridiculous that a friend has to pay $10 to play online just because he or she borrowed your game.