Recommend a good war themed "Saving Private Ryan" type Blu-Ray for gift?

Hello,

Id like to order it today so we have the following:

Warhorse

Enemy At The Gates

Thin red line

We Were Soldiers

Joyeux No?l

The Great Raid

Letters From Iwo Jima

Flags of Our Fathers

The Pianist

Downfall

Ive removed some of the suggestions for either being old or not the type of film the person would like.

Thank you all.

Another vote for Brotherhood of War, fantastic film

Brotherhood of War is possibly the best war movie I've seen in recent years, so I highly recommend that but the catch is it is a South Korean flick, so the giftee would have to be okay with subtitles.

.Kompressor did a link for imdb war films list -  good films on the list but surprised to see Come and See on there.  Good film but harrowing and depressing.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific, as mentioned before.. though they are not TV Series, they are Mini-Series.. But Band of Brothers is like a natural extension of Saving Private Ryan, probably because Hanks+Spielberg did both.

Black Hawk Down is excellent, though much more modern.

The Thin Red Line, and Apoc Now, Full Metal Jacket are also excellent, but not in the same style as SPR.

Kelly's Heroes is along with SPR and BHD, one of my favorite movies, but much more light hearted than the others.

Midway and Tora Tora Tora are also amazing movies, but much older. The latter being Pearl Harbour only, you know, better.

We Were Soldiers.. also mentioned before.

And to add a few more to the list.. of more variation.

Das Boot ( the Full Mini is amazing, but you have to not mind a movie that takes a day to watch )

Enemy at the Gates

Flyboys ( World War I )

Master and Commander The Far Side of the World ( Much older setting )

Letters from Iowa Jima

Flags of our Fathers

Hello,

Another vote for Brotherhood of War, fantastic film

.Kompressor did a link for imdb war films list -  good films on the list but surprised to see Come and See on there.  Good film but harrowing and depressing.

Like I mentioned, the subtitles will make the person not enjoy the film. Lets just stick to the list I put to make it easier for everyone :)

Hello,

Band of Brothers and The Pacific, as mentioned before.. though they are not TV Series, they are Mini-Series.. But Band of Brothers is like a natural extension of Saving Private Ryan, probably because Hanks+Spielberg did both.

Black Hawk Down is excellent, though much more modern.

The Thin Red Line, and Apoc Now, Full Metal Jacket are also excellent, but not in the same style as SPR.

Kelly's Heroes is along with SPR and BHD, one of my favorite movies, but much more light hearted than the others.

Midway and Tora Tora Tora are also amazing movies, but much older. The latter being Pearl Harbour only, you know, better.

We Were Soldiers.. also mentioned before.

And to add a few more to the list.. of more variation.

Das Boot ( the Full Mini is amazing, but you have to not mind a movie that takes a day to watch )

Enemy at the Gates

Flyboys ( World War I )

Master and Commander The Far Side of the World ( Much older setting )

Letters from Iowa Jima

Flags of our Fathers

I made a list to make it easier:

Warhorse

Enemy At The Gates

Thin red line

We Were Soldiers

Joyeux No?l

The Great Raid

Letters From Iwo Jima

Flags of Our Fathers

The Pianist

Downfall

Hello,

I made a list to make it easier:

Warhorse

Enemy At The Gates

Thin red line

We Were Soldiers

Joyeux No?l

The Great Raid

Letters From Iwo Jima

Flags of Our Fathers

The Pianist

Downfall

You can also consider some classics like "The Guns of Navarone", "The Great Escape", "The Dirty Dozen" and "Paths of Glory". As for movies that I own, The Thin Red Line is a great war movie and a very nice Blu-ray, Letters from Iwo Jima is the superior film in the Flags - Letters combo, and "Enemy at the Gates" is a very good movie that is constantly underrated. I also like The Pianist a LOT, but it really isn't like Saving Private Ryan, it's more akin to Schindler's List. But it's amazingly good (and should've won the goddamn Oscar!).