'Minecraft' partners with Twitch for built-in streaming

+Frank B.

The 13 million people who play Minecraft on PC will soon have an easier way to share their in-game experiences. Today at the Minecon convention in Orlando, developer Mojang and streaming service Twitch announced a new partnership that will allow players to stream content on Twitch directly from in the game. The new feature will be available in both the Windows and Mac versions of the game, and though no specific date was announced, Twitch says to expect in-game streaming soon. "Minecraft has struck a very powerful chord with the Twitch community," says Twitch's marketing VP Matthew DiPietro.

Twitch has quickly become the leading game streaming service on the web, thanks in large part to the popularity of competitive games, or esports, like League of Legendsand Starcraft. But while that remains the service's biggest draw, Twitch has also seen success with less obvious types of game streaming, such as players broadcasting speedruns. It's also being baked into next generation consoles, with Twitch services available on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Even without the built-in functionality, Minecraft is one of the more popular games on Twitch, and the company only expects that popularity to grow once the new feature is rolled out. "Expect a watershed moment for both players and spectators once the ability to easily broadcast gameplay directly to Twitch goes live," DiPietro explains.

Source: The Verge

PGHammer

The 13 million people who play Minecraft on PC will soon have an easier way to share their in-game experiences. Today at the Minecon convention in Orlando, developer Mojang and streaming service Twitch announced a new partnership that will allow players to stream content on Twitch directly from in the game. The new feature will be available in both the Windows and Mac versions of the game, and though no specific date was announced, Twitch says to expect in-game streaming soon. "Minecraft has struck a very powerful chord with the Twitch community," says Twitch's marketing VP Matthew DiPietro.

Twitch has quickly become the leading game streaming service on the web, thanks in large part to the popularity of competitive games, or esports, like League of Legendsand Starcraft. But while that remains the service's biggest draw, Twitch has also seen success with less obvious types of game streaming, such as players broadcasting speedruns. It's also being baked into next generation consoles, with Twitch services available on both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Even without the built-in functionality, Minecraft is one of the more popular games on Twitch, and the company only expects that popularity to grow once the new feature is rolled out. "Expect a watershed moment for both players and spectators once the ability to easily broadcast gameplay directly to Twitch goes live," DiPietro explains.

Source: The Verge

Minecraft is basically playing "catch-up", as EA's Origin client has a built-in streaming client (and has had it since the release of Simcity for PC, which was the stated motivation for it).Valve is looking to add similar support to Steam as well, as are AMD and nVidia to their graphics drivers, as hardware-based streaming support moves mainstream (via GeForce Experience and Catalyst Unified, respectively).  The sticking point has, in fact, been HARDWARE support for the feature, not software - given a quad-core CPU, anyone can do low-resolution streaming via TwitchTV today, at a cost of none.  However, what draws the eyeballs is high-resolution streaming (1280x720 or better) - and that requires a greater investment.  Until recently, this has been the realm of dedicated capture hardware (such as AverMedia's CaptureHD) - however, thanks largely to leveraging of existing GPU features, it's moving into the general-purpose category (nVidia's GTX6xx and above, and AMD's R7x and above).  Basically, old news.

Geoffrey B.

Minecraft is basically playing "catch-up", as EA's Origin client has a built-in streaming client (and has had it since the release of Simcity for PC, which was the stated motivation for it).Valve is looking to add similar support to Steam as well, as are AMD and nVidia to their graphics drivers, as hardware-based streaming support moves mainstream (via GeForce Experience and Catalyst Unified, respectively).  The sticking point has, in fact, been HARDWARE support for the feature, not software - given a quad-core CPU, anyone can do low-resolution streaming via TwitchTV today, at a cost of none.  However, what draws the eyeballs is high-resolution streaming (1280x720 or better) - and that requires a greater investment.  Until recently, this has been the realm of dedicated capture hardware (such as AverMedia's CaptureHD) - however, thanks largely to leveraging of existing GPU features, it's moving into the general-purpose category (nVidia's GTX6xx and above, and AMD's R7x and above).  Basically, old news.

wow... are you a troll?

being that minecraft runs in JAVA and doesn't run inside of a client control system (like Steam or origin, etc...) this is actually rather nice. I honestly cannot think of a single game that has this feature on its on.

Andrew

wow... are you a troll?

being that minecraft runs in JAVA and doesn't run inside of a client control system (like Steam or origin, etc...) this is actually rather nice. I honestly cannot think of a single game that has this feature on its on.

Path of Exile. I'm sure I've read about more but mind has gone blank right now. I know Rocksmith 2014 will also have it but that is a UPlay title. I don't own any UPlay titles so I'm not sure how it compares to Steam/Origin clients.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/19/path-of-exile-adds-twitch-integration/

• Like 1
madd-hatter

This does seem to be the way that things are going.

spudtrooper

I just wish Notch would port minecraft to windows 8.1 and have signed add-ons. Java just needs to die already and since the newer JDK's are starting to enforce signed applets Mojang is going to have to do something here soon.

Brandon H

I just wish Notch would port minecraft to windows 8.1 and have signed add-ons. Java just needs to die already and since the newer JDK's are starting to enforce signed applets Mojang is going to have to do something here soon.

notch doesn't even work on minecraft anymore, he's moved to other projects. Jeb has been the main dev since minecraft went final

but yes I agree. minecraft needs to be ported away from java and an official mod sdk needs to be finalized

PGHammer

wow... are you a troll?

I was referring to capture/streaming support in general - and in what way am I wrong?

Streaming is indeed moving mainstream, and if your game does NOT support it (either directly or indirectly) you WILL lose your "street cred".

Further, the entire "publicity machine" for Minecraft has been, in fact, built ON streaming (albeit externally-recorded streaming) - live streaming support is therefore a logical next step.  The very fact that it is NOT on either of the two major services (Steam or Origin) meant that the Minecraft client itself needed modification to support streaming. (The API that Minecraft uses is, in fact, irrelevant.)

I have nothing against Minecraft - however, it does not take away from the fact (not opinion) that they are still having to play catch-up in this area (it's true of any game that doesn't support streaming, either directly or indirectly - it's NOT unique to Minecraft.