iPad Air is awesome

I got my space grey 128GB iPad Air yesterday and love it. It's thin and light like the mini was and it's easy to hold in one hand unlike the previous versions. I'd say it's a worthy upgrade from any of the iPads including the 4th gen. The A7 is lightning fast and the thin design make it the best 10" tablet on the market IMHO.

I am still not sure If I am keeping it or going for the Mini 2. I love my mini but man looking at the retina I can't go back non retina. While I agree the new iPad air is extremely thin and light it still isn't as comfortable as holding the mini.

Definitely not the same as holding a mini but darned close compared to the 3rd and 4th gen. I've been holding it with 1 hand and typing with the other all day and no strain like before.

I sold my iPad Retina knowing that there'd be a 5th gen, and seeing that it only weighs one pound and it comes with the same upgrades as the 5s, I got all excited.  :laugh:

Imagine this iPad running OS X. I'm so serious right now.

I could never return thus full sized tablet, I love it that much. I may still look at the mini for a more portable device. I had a full size and a mini before.

I am still not sure If I am keeping it or going for the Mini 2. I love my mini but man looking at the retina I can't go back non retina. While I agree the new iPad air is extremely thin and light it still isn't as comfortable as holding the mini.

I'm completely sold on the mini, the iPad Air looks really nice but you just can't beat the form factor of the mini in my opinion, the size is perfect. I use larger iPads at work at they feel horrible to hold, the Air should fix this but still wont be as nice.

I sold my iPad Retina knowing that there'd be a 5th gen, and seeing that it only weighs one pound and it comes with the same upgrades as the 5s, I got all excited.  :laugh:

Imagine this iPad running OS X. I'm so serious right now.

I run OS X on Surface Pro.

• Like 3

I'm getting the iPad Air as soon as I get some money later this month. I had an iPad 2 and have the Mini now, but the full size form factor is what I really like. It being so thin and light makes it perfect for me!

Yeah it's a night and day difference between it and the previous iterations. I can't recommend it high enough. I've been using it literally all day holding in 1 hand and typing with the other. With my 3rd gen, it's beautiful but heavy,

It really is nice. I was worried the sides would end up being too thin, leaving your hand to interfere with navigation or something but it really doesn't.

Torn between the Mini and full body form now, since I'm getting it for my grandmother. I think she might appreciate the larger screen size if anything.

I was at the Apple store the other night and played with the iPad air. It is a marvelous feat of engineering, but the lack of gesture support and having to rely on the home button for everything was a big downer. I'll take my slightly thicker but infinitely more useful Surface :)

I was at the Apple store the other night and played with the iPad air. It is a marvelous feat of engineering, but the lack of gesture support and having to rely on the home button for everything was a big downer. I'll take my slightly thicker but infinitely more useful Surface :)

since when doesn't the ipad support gestures? maybe you just don't know them...

since when doesn't the ipad support gestures? maybe you just don't know them...

Yeah, there is gesture option right in the "general settings page"

79j6lYbl.png

I picked up my 128gb Air on Friday morning, really liking it over my iPad3.

I think the Air makes the iPad best tablet on the market.

Incorrect, it further cements why the iPad is the best tablet on the market ;)

There is no denying how good the iPad is, however, personally I prefer the "freedom" Android offers. Sure it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of apps and don't even get me started on the fragmentation problem. As for WinRT? it's good but the apps are not there yet, it's a promising platform but it's no threat to Android/iOS yet.

Incorrect, it further cements why the iPad is the best tablet on the market ;)

There is no denying how good the iPad is, however, personally I prefer the "freedom" Android offers. Sure it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of apps and don't even get me started on the fragmentation problem. As for WinRT? it's good but the apps are not there yet, it's a promising platform but it's no threat to Android/iOS yet.

What freedom again?  :/

Yeah, there is gesture option right in the "general settings page"

No, I know them. They're just not useful. Switching from one app to another could be multiple full-hand gestures. I guess I'm just spoiled by the ability to use a single thumb to switch between apps on my Surface.

What freedom again?  :/

Freedom to change the default apps, don't like them? don't use them! don't like the default keyboard? install another one. Don't like using Chrome? install another browser (Apple allows rival browsers but they must use Safari for rendering). Need more storage? install a SD card (if the tablet supports it). Hell you can change the launcher if you want. If your happy with how iOS is and have no problem with using it how Apple wants you too, then more power to you. Personally I like being able to make it my tablet and customise it how I see fit :happy:

EDIT: But that freedom comes at a price. Due to Android's open nature and ability to run on such a wide variety of hardware it is poorly optimised (compared to iOS) and needs much beefier hardware to run smooth (and even then it doesn't). iOS on the other hand is coded for a specific hardware set and optimised to run as effectually as possible. Probably not the best analogy but I like to think of iOS as a console while Android is a PC. The PC might be more powerful and have better specs, but the console with it "outdated" specs can keep up and sometimes surpass the PC because it is better optimised with minimal overhead. I'm sure people will poke holes in that analogy but hope someone gets what I'm trying to say...

My wife upgraded from the iPad 3 to the Air, she loves it.

I'm debating if I want to upgrade from the iPad Mini to the new version or the Air since the whole reason I got the Mini was due to it's size and the Air is now smaller.

Incorrect, it further cements why the iPad is the best tablet on the market  ;)

What is this fragmentation you speak of?