Tech issues solved added in tech forums

You could, They would say its based on R&D, customer feedback and backup by $billions in sales/profits

(and what apple is doing/ internet trends  -thats just my opinion ;)) 

If you tell anyone at Apple that Windows 8 was influenced in any way by what Apple were doing they would probably laugh at you. Apple wouldn't lend their name to something so crap

Then ur in the wrong donut shop there bud :p maybe try paying for your donuts then you can decide how you like em? ;)

Looks like even the subscribers opinions on the matter got ignored..

• Like 2

If the only people that posted here were paid subscribers this place would be empty and boring. Lovely attitude as usual from the staff (Y)

If you tell anyone at Apple that Windows 8 was influenced in any way by what Apple were doing they would probably laugh at you. Apple wouldn't lend their name to something so crap

As in microsoft's interest for tablets/phone and trying to turn win8 into a mishmash of tablet/pc.. so they would stop loosing market share to everything apple..and then MS decided that their way (win8) was better then decided it wasn't (8.1) 

I think Apple are to busy laughing at MS with Maverick to be bothered what i think or say :P

But this is OT from the point of this thread ;)

Looks like even the subscribers opinions on the matter got ignored..

I was just trying to interject some humor and break some of the tension that is being expressed in one way or another 

The original poster was talking about donuts, i was talking about donuts...it was about donuts lol nothing more

- see why i stick to just facts because anything else can be interpreted in a million different ways, for that im sorry and should of known better. I'll stick to replying with just fact and refrain from trying to be humorous  from now on (Y)

- see why i stick to just facts because anything else can be interpreted in a million different ways, for that im sorry and should of known better. I'll stick to replying with just fact and refrain from trying to be humorous  from now on (Y)

Sounds good. :kiss:

Seems like Neowin does this every so many years...

Give it a week or two... posts counts will be back ;).

I'm not sure why it really matters.  I only found the post count useful when it was low and made something that look like spam more suspect.  Other than that, not terribly useful.

Seems like Neowin does this every so many years...

Give it a week or two... posts counts will be back ;).

I'm not sure why it really matters.  I only found the post count useful when it was low and made something that look like spam more suspect.  Other than that, not terribly useful.

IMO putting likes would be better. You have a good post, you will have more likes. More likes usually means your posts have better quality or really contribute to the discussion better than others.

I honestly have no clue why everyone is actually complaining for?

I personally think its a move in the right direction.

+ Not to mention, what do post counts mean really? Post counts do not mean anything.

You can have a member on your forum board with other 1000 posts, but yet you can have a member with 100 which is a more valuable member to the forum.

Post counts don't mean anything. It's the context and the quality of posts which a forum should be striving for.

The posts counts tell you nothing apart from how many posts that members has, weather the best answer feature now known as "Tech Supported" here at Neowin tell's you a heck of a lot more than post counts will.

You will look at a member with little posts counts and think well, he's just a new comer and isn't going to stick around long, or he's just a new comer and is going to just troll all day long.

But when you look at the best answer feature "Tech Supported" it tells you a lot more about the member. Even if there post count ain't exactly the highest. They can still show that they are committed to the community and are here to help and make the community better without having to post a million and one times.

Kinda stupid how everyone is arguing and rebelling against staff members, Staff members are here to help you. Without the rules in place and there strict attitudes at time what kind of site will Neowin become? It would be like being in the 2nd grade again and being on the play ground. There will just be no respect and unwanted posters and such like that.

So the people actually disrespecting the staff members for having to do what they need to do, <Snipped> + If you want a site where staff members are going to bow down to your every command then I guess your in the wrong place.

Everyone has an opinion yeah that is understandable, and you also have to take it into consideration that, they are also taking your opinions into consideration. Do you guys it might not seem that way, But really Neowin has come a long way since they opened there doors, do you think they have done that without taking peoples opinions into consideration or even putting them ideas into place?. 

I'm all for the change.

I Think it's positive.

Keep it up guys.

Edited by Yusuf M.
Make love, not war.
  • Like 3

I was just trying to interject some humor and break some of the tension that is being expressed in one way or another

The original poster was talking about donuts, i was talking about donuts...it was about donuts lol nothing more

- see why i stick to just facts because anything else can be interpreted in a million different ways, for that im sorry and should of known better. I'll stick to replying with just fact and refrain from trying to be humorous from now on (Y)

I think as admin, you could just ban said person who ###### you off. Admin has it's priveleges ;)

I honestly have no clue why everyone is actually complaining for?

I personally think its a move in the right direction.

+ Not to mention, what do post counts mean really? Post counts do not mean anything.

You can have a member on your forum board with other 1000 posts, but yet you can have a member with 100 which is a more valuable member to the forum.

Post counts don't mean anything. It's the context and the quality of posts which a forum should be striving for.

The posts counts tell you nothing apart from how many posts that members has, weather the best answer feature now known as "Tech Supported" here at Neowin tell's you a heck of a lot more than post counts will.

You will look at a member with little posts counts and think well, he's just a new comer and isn't going to stick around long, or he's just a new comer and is going to just troll all day long.

But when you look at the best answer feature "Tech Supported" it tells you a lot more about the member. Even if there post count ain't exactly the highest. They can still show that they are committed to the community and are here to help and make the community better without having to post a million and one times.

Kinda stupid how everyone is arguing and rebelling against staff members, Staff members are here to help you. Without the rules in place and there strict attitudes at time what kind of site will Neowin become? It would be like being in the 2nd grade again and being on the play ground. There will just be no respect and unwanted posters and such like that.

So the people actually disrespecting the staff members for having to do what they need to do, Well think you need to have a brain transplant + If you want a site where staff members are going to bow down to your every command then I guess your in the wrong place.

Everyone has an opinion yeah that is understandable, and you also have to take it into consideration that, they are also taking your opinions into consideration. Do you guys it might not seem that way, But really Neowin has come a long way since they opened there doors, do you think they have done that without taking peoples opinions into consideration or even putting them ideas into place?. 

I'm all for the change.

I Think it's positive.

Keep it up guys.

Wow this seems to be an example of the kind of post we don't need on Neowin.  Lousy grammar, poor spelling, referring to everyone as <Snipped>  Good job.   Oh and just because someone has 0 as a Tech Supported count does not mean they are not a person of respect and their posts are of questionable quality.  Many people are involved on Neowin and not in the Tech Forums and still add to a high quality experience here.  :no:

Rant done.    :/

Wow this seems to be an example of the kind of post we don't need on Neowin.  Lousy grammar, poor spelling, referring to everyone as <Snipped>  Good job.   Oh and just because someone has 0 as a Tech Supported count does not mean they are not a person of respect and their posts are of questionable quality.  Many people are involved on Neowin and not in the Tech Forums and still add to a high quality experience here.  :no:

I've said this more than once already. The tech support count doesn't mean you're a better person. It means you're more helpful and we'd like to give credit where it's due. There's nothing wrong with posting in other areas of the site. Hell, there's nothing wrong with not posting in the tech areas at all. You're free to do anything you want as long as it's within the rules. Part of our strategy to improve the overall quality of the posts on Neowin is to hide the post count. We want members to embrace a "quality over quantity" approach when it comes to posting.

Yeah Agreed, my English isn't perfect. Who's is?

But let's get to the point where you must have misread, I've never stated that the people with 0 Tech Support Are the people who don't have respect. You can be a respected member of Neowin with 0 Tech support posts. You can gain that with quality. What i was trying to say it well Yusuf M. kinda cleared it up. 

I've said this more than once already. The tech support count doesn't mean you're a better person. It means you're more helpful and we'd like to give credit where it's due. There's nothing wrong with posting in other areas of the site. Hell, there's nothing wrong with not posting in the tech areas at all. You're free to do anything you want as long as it's within the rules. Part of our strategy to improve the overall quality of the posts on Neowin is to hide the post count. We want members to embrace a "quality over quantity" approach when it comes to posting.

The only way this field is anyway remotely useful is if you turn the entire forum into stackexchange. What good is this if few people use it and it's only relevant to a small amount of boards? For instance take the Programming board. Many of the most helpful people on that board have very low numbers for "Tech Supported".

Some of you may not agree, but this is a step in the right direction for Neowin. Even Rappy with over 110,000 posts embraces this change, now that's saying something. A simple hover over a users name is not that difficult to reveal their post count.

As Yusuf stated, "Quality over Quantity" is key. Daniel & Steve are fighting hard to make this a better community, put yourselves in their shoes.:)

The only way this field is anyway remotely useful is if you turn the entire forum into stackexchange. What good is this if few people use it and it's only relevant to a small amount of boards? For instance take the Programming board. Many of the most helpful people on that board have very low numbers for "Tech Supported".

That's because the best answer feature was introduced relatively recently (June 2013). The tech support count will highlight that feature and people that didn't know about it might use it. With time, people's tech support count will go up.

Also, I disagree. Neowin doesn't have to become Stack Exchange for this to be effective. The change was introduced very recently so let's wait and see what happens 2 or 3 months down the road.

That's because the best answer feature was introduced relatively recently (June 2013). The tech support count will highlight that feature and people that didn't know about it might use it. With time, people's tech support count will go up.

Also, I disagree. Neowin doesn't have to become Stack Exchange for this to be effective. The change was introduced very recently so let's wait and see what happens 2 or 3 months down the road.

Even then, the only place it's meaningful is the tech support forums. It's completely meaningless outside those forums. Neowin has also grown beyond tech support and many forums outnumber it in both posts and topics. It really should only be displayed on those forums where it's relevant.

How about if everyone in the world had to wear a badge that said how many times they've traveled to Egypt. It's only relevant to the subset of people that travel and even then only to people interested in traveling there. For the rest of the population, it's junk and useless. This exactly what you guys are doing.

I understand wanting to redirect Neowin to it's original focus, but you guys aren't using your brains on how to do it sorry to say. Go try to argue this with anyone knowledgeable in meaningful data. You will lose. :/

I understand what you're trying to do, I was responding to ho0kz. I also understand about posting in general, but it is apparent Neowin is pushing to become more of a tech oriented site and this is one of the tactics you're employing.  As I have made clear before, I am all for anything improving a website's quality, I just believe this is not the way IMHO. And after reading other opinions in this thread I couldn't care less about post count now.  I'm not inflexible.

Maybe a thread would be appropriate in explaining what Neowin has in store for the future.  What direction they might be headed in, etc., I'm sure many members would enjoy knowing Neowin's plans. A State of the Neowin address of sorts!  :)

I certainly do not want to give the impression I'm ungrateful for the efforts of Steve and Daniel and the other staff members.    I am very thankful for Neowin and the effort it takes to keep it operational and relevant and interesting and fun.

Thank you!

Wow.  Not sure what everyone's problem is.  Tech supported seems far more relevant than post count, which really means almost absolutely nothing except to show how much time one spends surfing Neowin.

Ok, what's the pay like? :p

I'm not above the law i have to obey the same rules as the rest of the staff - if i do something wrong or inappropriate then I will be dealt with...I work for Neowin (for free), not the other way around. And as far as i'm aware I have no marks against my record or have ever acted inappropriately toward any staff or community member.

;)

• Like 1

I think as admin, you could just ban said person who ###### you off. Admin has it's priveleges ;)

I didn't get that memo :P

• Like 2

Um. Sorry for the off topic post, but why has nearly all the staff gone from aliases to what I assume is their real names?

To quote myself, "Most, if not all, of our news staff use their real names. It's a mixture of consistency and appearing more 'human'. We also want to show a little more responsibility for our actions as it's tied to our real names and not a username."

Even then, the only place it's meaningful is the tech support forums. It's completely meaningless outside those forums. Neowin has also grown beyond tech support and many forums outnumber it in both posts and topics. It really should only be displayed on those forums where it's relevant.

I appreciate your feedback, Xilo.

I understand what you're trying to do, I was responding to ho0kz. I also understand about posting in general, but it is apparent Neowin is pushing to become more of a tech oriented site and this is one of the tactics you're employing.  As I have made clear before, I am all for anything improving a website's quality, I just believe this is not the way IMHO. And after reading other opinions in this thread I couldn't care less about post count now.  I'm not inflexible.

Maybe a thread would be appropriate in explaining what Neowin has in store for the future.  What direction they might be headed in, etc., I'm sure many members would enjoy knowing Neowin's plans. A State of the Neowin address of sorts!  :)

I certainly do not want to give the impression I'm ungrateful for the efforts of Steve and Daniel and the other staff members.    I am very thankful for Neowin and the effort it takes to keep it operational and relevant and interesting and fun.

Thank you!

Thanks for being positive. I'm trying my best to read every single post in this thread. It's a tough time for some of us but I think it'll get better. I appreciate the feedback from you guys because I value the opinions of my fellow members. With that said, it's damn near impossible to please everyone so please understand that we're trying our best. Kind words like yours go a long way and it's greatly appreciated.

As for spilling Neowin's dark and dirty secrets...

AS3HpqO.png

ja2bVlQ.png

t2dk9D0.png

• Like 4