Is it really healthy to walk barefoot outside?

People here walk barefoot all the time. Most of them end up with some sort of foot injury at some point :)

Long live flip flops!!!!!

Just noticed, you really do live in Utila, Honduras?

So being constantly earth-grounded magically has health benefits?  Righttttttttt.......

I'm sure this works just as well as those fancy magnetic bracelets that "improve" blood flow.   :no:

I think the point of the article, for those that read it, revolve more around getting out and walking in nature. There are many great points: going to the gym to walk on a treadmill IS more of a chore, rather than something you do in leisure. Something to cross off your list.

Walking at the gym isn't exactly calming/relaxing to help you actually calm down or lower your blood pressure, as you would walking out in a park for example. Barefoot? I think that's still a bit of a stretch. You're still taking on more risk for reward. I enjoy walking in the grass, but only briefly. I wouldn't trek like that, and even if I did, I'm sure I'd be more stressed worrying where I step than I would be able to actually enjoy my time out there.

of course barefoot walking is very healthy.         you got nerve endings that lead to all the organs in your feet, and massaging them is very good for you.

walking in the grass / sand  does it for you.      however, i would stick with the wildlife areas with little grass, or public beaches were everyone is barefoot, and there is no chance to cut yourself open.

i love walking barefoot on sun heated rocks near the beach... and that way i can see what i am stepping on,  no surprises.

Just noticed, you really do live in Utila, Honduras?

Yes I do, coming up to my 9th year :)

I wear real shoes maybe a week a year when it's really cold here, like 16C :)

Otherwise it's flip flops or dive booties for me

My wife is constantly barefoot, inside and out, has been forever, and people having been walking barefoot since the dawn of time, as long as you watch where you are going, and dont step on a rusty nail or anything, I see no problem.. Besides we didnt evolve to wear shoes.

of course barefoot walking is very healthy.         you got nerve endings that lead to all the organs in your feet, and massaging them is very good for you.

walking in the grass / sand  does it for you.  

I never understood why people go barefoot on the grass. Dogs poop there and it's not always easy to see. So, you run the risk of stepping on doo doo on your bare feet. Ew!!!!

I don't even like stepping on grass with shoes on either because of that. Grass is dirty.

I was reading this article today and was shocked to read that walking barefoot outside is healthy:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9099/the-surprising-health-benefits-of-going-barefoot.html

Anyone agree with this? If so, then why don't I see many people do this? It's so rare to see anyone here in NYC barefoot that you'll get a good number of stares if you tried it.

according to REAL doctors/scientists  - NO

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23990440 for example

Skeptoid done an episode on this: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4185

Walking on some surfaces might feel nice: warm sand or long grass feels greats, for example, but to say it has measurable, positive effects on your health beyond that pleasant sensation seems to be a stretch. 

Make sure you have well-fitting shoes and actually do some exercise, that's where the real benefit is. I'd ignore the novelties.

Well, urine is sterile, so it's not going to cause any harm on your feet. The worst place is step barefoot is public lockeroom showers because those showers are wet 24/7, so there's a lot of fungi there.

Urine is not sterile.  

I'm not familiar with that site but "drawing electrons from the earth" sounds like new age quackery to me. Like wearing magnetic bracelets.

I'll keep my shoes I think, walking on broken glass and other sharp and possibly contaminated objects isn't my idea of healthy. :laugh:

People stopped "drawing electrons from the Earth" about 30,000 - 40,000 years ago when footwear was invented. The evidence is in changes to our lower extremities.

I ran around barefooted all the time when I was little.  Don't know how healthy it is, but as much of a nature lover as I am, a good pair of boots makes running around in the woods a LOT easier, not so much because of germs, but comfort.

I still walk around my yard barefooted quite often though.

People stopped "drawing electrons from the Earth" about 30,000 - 40,000 years ago when footwear was invented. The evidence is in changes to our lower extremities.

Less excitable down there? :D

My wife is constantly barefoot, inside and out, has been forever, and people having been walking barefoot since the dawn of time, as long as you watch where you are going, and dont step on a rusty nail or anything, I see no problem.. Besides we didnt evolve to wear shoes.

Is she pregnant too?  :D

Walking barefoot is beneficial when done in a natural setting,i.e., on a grassy field, beach,etc and there are certain advantages too like
1. Clears your mind
2. It
  • Like 3

Appeal to nature fallacy. Just because shoes are "unnatural" (i.e. we weren't born with them) has nothing to do with whether or not being barefooted is better than wearing shoes.

Humans weren't born impervious to the sun's radiation, either, but wearing sunscreen & eye protection is better for you than not.