'Hulk' TV series shelved after 'Avengers' success, says Marvel TV boss

1383747824.jpg

Marvel's head of television Jeph Loeb has addressed the fate of Guillermo del Toro's stalled Hulk TV series.

Loeb told Ain't It Cool News that the success of Mark Ruffalo's portrayal of Bruce Banner in The Avengers led to del Toro's project being put on hold.

"Guillermo del Toro came in and talked to us about doing a Hulk show and when Guillermo del Toro comes and wants to do a show about your pinkie, you are going to want to do it," Loeb said.

"But it was just a case that once we saw what Joss Whedon and Mark Ruffalo were creating in The Avengers, that was a better solution."

A television series based on Marvel super-heroine Jessica Jones has also also been in development since 2010.

Loeb explained that the adaptation "didn't quite fit with the ABC model" but added that Marvel "still believes in that show in a major way".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a529122/hulk-tv-series-shelved-after-avengers-success-says-marvel-tv-boss.html

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Ruffalo and Whedon flat out NAILED Hulk & Banner in Avengers. Hard going to a different adaptation after that.

Yep. That was the Hulk we've all been waiting to see on the big screen. I just want more now.

Yeah, Ruffalo and Whedon flat out NAILED Hulk & Banner in Avengers. Hard going to a different adaptation after that.

I wouldn't say nailed as such.  They did a good job, but there was a huge error in there; Banner being able to control the transformation.

I wouldn't say nailed as such.  They did a good job, but there was a huge error in there; Banner being able to control the transformation.

This.

Banner being able to control the Hulk is not exciting. His struggle and turmoil against the Hulk is a big part of what makes the Hulk interesting. If not that, then you have a case of the Superman. A overowered Super hero with almost no weakness that can decimate all of his enemies. At least he has Kryptonite. The Hulk is basically unstopable.

This is why Batman, Ironman and Spiderman are so more interesting.  Their powers are not exaggerated and there is a human element to their struggle that people can relate to. Who the hell can relate to a flying god and a man that can turn into a unstopable beast at will.

i liked the norton hulk, it seemed more of a good fit to me, i did like the hulk movie, Ruffalo was good though, 

Norton was the best Hulk imo. I was sorry to hear that negotiations between him and Disney did not go well. Ruffalo was okay.

Norton was the best Hulk imo. I was sorry to hear that negotiations between him and Disney did not go well. Ruffalo was okay.

I notice no one mentions Bana's Hulk... I wonder why that is? :p

He could only control not transforming as such, he didn't control the hulk when he was transformed, no more than any time before. 

I just rewatched the Norton Hulk movie, and right at the end was something I'd forgotten.  Banner in a yoga position, concentrating, and inducing a hulkout through will alone...

So I guess they did at least plan it ahead of time!