Crisp

Where you got your number from I have no clue. It's a big place.

Stephen Hawkin.

astropheed

Stephen Hawkin.

I'm not claiming Stephen Hawkin is wrong, I'm just asking you to perform some really basic Math.

Diameter of Milky Way is 100,000 ly

Radius is 50,000 ly

we're about 35,000 ly from the center

which means we're about 15,000 ly from the edge.

Now, I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure if you go 100% the speed of light, in one year you'll go one light year.

So please, tell me how you can go 15,000 light years in 80 years going 99% the speed of light. Is there something Stephen Hawkin isn't telling me?

JustGeorge

An Enterprise would be nice, but I'll take the battlestar Galactica anyday.  :D

I honestly think BSG is closer to the type of FTL engines we'll have someday. I don't see man (or anything, really) actually travelling faster than light. Maybe we can push probes up to relativistic speeds, but certainly not faster than light.  

But with Warp Drive, you're not actually moving faster than light, you are riding a surf of space time behind you :)

Crisp

Pretty sure I read somewhere mentioning Einstein, it's impossible to travel @ 100% the speed of light.

This is all theory, after all I did use the word "if", as current technology shows it's currently impossible to even get anywhere near the speed of light.

The measurement of a "light year" (the term "year") is the measurement of an Earth year. Traveling at the speed of light (close to it [99%]) causes the affect of time to slow, so 1 Earth year would = 1 day on board an interglatic space ship traveling @ 99% speed of light.

So if 80 years (19200 days) passed on an intergalactic space ship traveling @ 99% the speed of light, 58400 years would of passed on Earth. The cause of the slowing of time.

1 day @ 99% light speed = 1 Earth year

80 years (19200 days) @ 99% light speed = 58400 Earth years

Urgh, it's 2am, too tired to do this.

• Like 1
McKay

^

Aha!! You sir have betrayed your location to me.

Skin

They have been claiming they were closer and closer to finding out for a looooong while now. While true in word play that they are closer today compared to yesterday timewise, that's like me saying i am closer to living in Africa as I know the continents are drifting slowly over time.

That said, I don't believe in 'life' as we know it elsewhere. I believe that it was all destroyed a long time ago by some giant war that rained havoc and misery around most of the universe.

Crisp

^

Aha!! You sir have betrayed your location to me.

Feel free to step in and do it for me...

astropheed

Pretty sure I read somewhere mentioning Einstein, it's impossible to travel @ 100% the speed of light.

This is all theory, after all I did use the word "if", as current technology shows it's currently impossible to even get anywhere near the speed of light.

The measurement of a "light year" (the term "year") is the measurement of an Earth year. Traveling at the speed of light (close to it [99%]) causes the affect of time to slow, so 1 Earth year would = 1 day on board an interglatic space ship traveling @ 99% speed of light.

So if 80 years (19200 days) passed on an intergalactic space ship traveling @ 99% the speed of light, 58400 years would of passed on Earth. The cause of the slowing of time.

1 day @ 99% light speed = 1 Earth year

80 years (19200 days) @ 99% light speed = 58400 Earth years

Urgh, it's 2am, too tired to do this.

I don't blame you, it's 1PM and I'm too tired to do this.

Noir Angel

FYI the church has accepted the idea of off-world life for quite some time - just another zip code in creation.

Define "the church"... because from what I've seen it's not true of many Christian organisations. All of the Abrahamic faiths have very human centric views of the universe, and accepting new science or not, finding other intelligent life would be pretty damaging to the idea that we are in any way special.

McKay

Feel free to step in and do it for me...

Merry Olde Englandshire?

Crisp

Merry Olde Englandshire?

Kings Lynn, I have 12 toes.

DocM

Define "the church"... because from what I've seen it's not true of many Christian organisations. All of the Abrahamic faiths have very human centric views of the universe, ....(blather)

Think again.

1) Catholic Church: has talked extraterrestrials since the 1700's. The Vatican's lead astronomer sees no doctrinal problems, has publicly discussed it many times and has not been rebuked. The Vatican itself runs an active astronomy program, including the Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope in Arizona and through its universities, and it has hosted a major astrobiology conference.

2) Evangelical Lutherans (largest Lutheran denomination): no problem. We are taught of a wide ranging creation. Can't speak for the Missouri Synod.

3) LDS (Mormons): a central teaching is a universe teeming with life. Had a long talk about this with one of my best friends clergy.

4) Presbyterian: http://www.presbyterianmission.org/ministries/today/gofigure-1113/

on matters where Scripture is silent (e.g., aliens) or ambiguous (e.g., the age of the earth), Presbyterians are very comfortable looking to the scientific community?those careful and systematic observers of creational patterns?for an answer.

5) Judaeism: is interesting. Torah.org reports that intelligent extraterrestrial life is certain, but it may not have human-like free will.

http://www.torah.org/features/secondlook/extraterrestrial.html

The basic premise of the existence of extraterrestrial life is strongly supported by the Zohar. The Midrash teaches us that there are seven earths. Although the Ibn Ezra tries to argue that these refer to the seven continents, the Zohar clearly states that the seven are separated by a firmament and are inhabited. Although they are not inhabited by man, they are the domain of intelligent creatures. We therefore find the basic thesis of the Sefer Habris supported by a number of clear-cut statements by our Sages. There may even be other forms of intelligent life in the universe, but such life forms do not have free will, and therefore do not have moral responsibility.

6) Islam: http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-about-islam/islam-and-the-world/worldview/167124-aliens-and-extraterrestrial-life-an-islamic-look.html

>

To return to our topic about extraterrestrials: There are verses in the Qur'an that apparently favor the belief in the existence of such creatures, though we cannot find any particular verse explicitly stating their existence.

The very phrase rabbul `aalameen meaning "the Lord of the worlds" as a description of God points to the possibility of the existence of beings in many worlds.

We read in the Qur'an several verses where God's creatures of various kinds are mentioned. Here is one verse which means

*{Among His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills.}* (Ash-Shura 42:29)

Based on the above verse, among others, some of our scholars of the Qur'an permit the belief in the existence of life on other planets or anywhere other than the earth according to one's judgment.

Note the expression in the above verse "living creatures He has scattered through them." There is a reference here to creatures on planets other than earth.

The word used for "living creatures" is dabbah and according to the famous Qur'an translator Muhammad Asad, "The word dabbah denotes any sentient, corporeal being capable of spontaneous movement; it is contrasted here with the non-corporeal, spiritual beings designated as angels (Asad, Muhammad. The Message of the Qur'an. England: Book Foundation, 2003, 449).

On the same verse, Abdullah Yusuf Ali comments, "It is reasonable to suppose that Life in some form or another is scattered through some of the millions of heavenly bodies scattered through space." (Ali, Abdullah Yusuf, The Qur'an: Text, Transaltion and Commentary, Ad-Dar Al-`Arabiah, Beirut, 1938, 1314

>

McKay

Kings Lynn, I have 12 toes.

At least you have spares in the event of losing some to cold weather.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
BillyJack

That depends on the relative stage of development between us and an alien civilization. On Earth the less developed civilization usually doesn't fare too well, so it could he a period of passive observation, signals and probes approaching from a different direction would be prudent.

That is what I always say. In our own history we are always conquering so I will assume aliens would be the same. People always respond they would be smarter and not attack or destroy like us. Um. Ok. We know better yet still do it. Survival of the fittest.

BillyJack

If we found a primitive race do you think we would try to help them, leave them alone,  try to rule them or put them in Zoo's and wipe out the rest?

It depends. If they have resources we will tell them we are helping them out and take their resources. If they complain or retaliate we would retaliate and use that as an excuse for our behavior. Later after they are under our control we would leave them alone and continue to take ownership of their resources. Eventually if they do not give us any hassle we will give them rights. We would never put them in a zoo if they are intelligent and communicate with us, but if they are not then when their numbers got low we would control them in a zoo to maintain a few of their species. If they are more intelligent and advanced we would pretend to come in peace try to be their friend and infiltrate them.

The_Observer

Untill i have a Alien outside my door trying to sell me Time Shares..... well you get the point!

Growled

NASA Ames Director: We?re Closer To Answering, ?Are We Alone??

I personally believe they are a long way away from answering that question. 

T3X4S

"...Any alien civ smart enough to visit earth, will be smart enough not to visit earth..."

cant remember if this was NDT or Sagan or .... ?

T3X4S

FYI the church has accepted the idea of off-world life for quite some time - just another zip code in creation.

uhhh define :church" because my nutty grandmother still thinks the earth is only 6000 years old, and there was no such thing as dinosaurs....

Church of Christ for anyone wondering -

99% of religion is pathetically lame, but CoC is really bad.

Mackster

Can't travel by conventional ways in space, it will take forever. Will take forever to even travel with light speed.

You need warp drive to go anywhere.

One can wonder though, with so vast distances in the universe, it seems all we can do is "look", never travel.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      TWIRL 12: Remains of Chinese rocket land in sea after space station launch
      by Paul Hill

Background image via SpaceX There are a handful of fairly routine rocket launches this week but it’s worth mentioning that the remains of the Long March-5B Y2 carrier rocket, which launched the Chinese Space Station recently, landed in the Indian Ocean luckily missing populated areas. In response to the rocket’s remains falling back to Earth in the uncontrolled manner that they did, the United States government called for “responsible space behaviors.”

Friday, May 14
      It’s going to be quiet for most of next week in terms of rocket launches but from Friday we could see up to four launches. On Friday, there is one mission marked with ‘no earlier than’ which means Friday is the earliest time the mission will launch but it could come later. The mission in question will see Virgin Galactic launch its VSS Unity rocketplane carrying several revenue-generating payloads as part of the NASA flight opportunities program.

The possible launch of VSS Unity was mentioned in last week’s edition of TWIRL with a no earlier than launch penned in for May 5. The launch did not go ahead last week and is now due on Friday or later.

Saturday, May 15
      On Saturday, there are two missions marked with no earlier than and one more definite launch. The two marked as NET are Northrup Grumman’s TacRL-2 mission, which was mentioned in TWIRL 10, and Rocket Lab’s ‘Running Out of Toes’ mission that will carry two BlackSky satellites into orbit. SpaceX has its Starlink 26 mission marked for Saturday too.

The BlackSky satellites that Rocket Lab aims to launch will be part of a constellation that can capture 1000 images per day in four bands and panchromatic mode at 1-metre resolution. The two satellites going up are newer Block 2.1 satellites which come with increased solar arrays that will deliver more power to the satellite. In all, BlackSky will operate 60 satellites that it will renew every three years.

The SpaceX Starlink 26 mission will carry 60 Starlink satellites into orbit which will join the existing Starlink satellites in beaming internet connectivity to subscribers back on Earth. As a secondary payload, there will be two Capella Space satellites aboard too.

SpaceX Starlink 25
      Originally scheduled for a launch last Tuesday, SpaceX finally managed to launch its Starlink 25 mission earlier today. The recorded stream is now available to watch below:

• By zikalify
      NASA Crew-1 Dragon set to return to Earth with Saturday splashdown
      by Paul Hill

The American space agency NASA has announced that it will be live streaming the return to Earth for the NASA SpaceX Crew-1 mission from the International Space Station. NASA astronauts Michael Hopkins, Victor Glover, Shannon Walker, and JAXA’s Soichi Noguchi are set to splashdown in the Gulf of Mexico at 11:36 a.m. EDT on Saturday, May 1.

The Crew Dragon spacecraft which will be returning the astronauts is dubbed Resilience and will undock from the ISS at 5:55 p.m. following the hatch closure at 3:50 p.m. NASA TV will stream the hatch closure from 3:30 p.m. and the undocking from 5:30 p.m. It will then provide continuous coverage until the following morning when the craft finally lands back in the gulf. Following the return, NASA will hold a news conference from the NASA Johnson Space Center in Houston at 1:30 p.m. You can find the NASA TV stream on the agency’s website.

According to NASA, the undocking and splashdown were originally slated for Wednesday, April 28, but due to weather conditions expected in the splashdown zones, the return has been delayed. The agency and its commercial partner SpaceX will continue to monitor the weather forecasts to ensure that the return can still go ahead on Friday night.

There are currently 11 people on the space station which is several more than we usually see up there at any one time. This is because the SpaceX vehicles take four astronauts up at a time rather than the three that Soyuz vehicles are able to carry and the arrival of two crews in quick succession. The latest crew arrived at the ISS on April 21 aboard the Crew-2 Dragon.

• By zikalify
      TWIRL 10: Chinese Space Station module Tianhe set for launch
      by Paul Hill

It’s set to be a jam-packed week of rocket launches with launches scheduled every day except on Friday and Sunday. One of the most important launches this week will be of the Tianhe (Harmony of the heavens) module of the Chinese Space Station which will sit in a low Earth orbit (LEO). It’s expected that the first three taikonauts (Chinese astronauts) will arrive at the station as soon as June 2021.

Monday, April 26
      The first launch of the week will be conducted by United Launch Alliance (Lockheed, Boeing) which will launch classified spy satellite cargo for the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office atop a huge Delta IV Heavy rocket, the mission is called NROL-82. The payload is allegedly an electro-optical digital imaging Keyhole satellite (KH-11) dubbed Crystal 18 and has a ground resolution of up to 15 cm.

The launch will be shown on the United Launch Alliance website at 8:46 p.m. UTC.

To learn more about the flight itself, check out this ULA video about NROL-82:

Tuesday, April 27
      On Tuesday, a Chinese Long March CZ-6 is expected to take off from Launch Complex 16 at the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center at around 3:20 a.m. UTC carrying several Earth observation satellites including Qilu 1 and Qilu 4. We spoke about these satellites in This Week in Rocket Launches #7 explaining that they’re used for remote sensing radar and can produce detailed radar images of the Earth’s surface even if it's cloudy or dark.

Wednesday, April 28
      The first mission is expected to launch at 1:50 a.m. UTC from Carbet Toukan, French Guiana. The mission is called VV18 and will see an Arianespace Vega rocket take the Pleiades Neo 3 and NORSAT 3 satellites into orbit. Pleiades Neo 3 is the first, not the third, Pleiades satellite to be orbited and will be joined by three more satellites later on. The very high-resolution Earth observation satellites will be able to capture images with 30 cm ground resolution. According to Arianespace, Pleiades Neo 4 will be orbited in the following Vega flight. You should be able to find a live stream of the launch on Arianespace’s YouTube channel closer to the time of launch.

The second launch of the day comes from SpaceX which is launching another batch of 60 Starlink satellites into low Earth orbit. The mission is called Starlink 24 and is set to launch at 4:05 a.m. UTC. There are already lots of Starlink satellites beaming internet connectivity back down to Earth but SpaceX is looking to eventually build the constellation to the point where there will be 30,000 satellites in orbit. You can watch the live stream on SpaceX’s website at the time of launch.

Thursday, April 29
      There is only one launch scheduled for Thursday but it’s definitely the most exciting of the lot. The Chinese National Space Agency will be launching a Long March CZ-5B rocket carrying the first module of the Chinese Space Station (CSS) called Tianhe into a low Earth orbit at 3:18 a.m. UTC from Pad 101 at the Wenchang Satellite Launch Center.

The Tianhe module will be joined at a later date by the Mengtian and Wentian modules as well as a robotic arm and a free-flying, dockable space telescope called Xuntian. The first three taikonauts to arrive at the CSS are expected to arrive by as soon as June and will push up the total number of people in space at any one time.

With the launch coming from China, it probably won’t be streamed live but there should be some clips from the launch posted online shortly after a successful launch.

Image via China Manned Space Saturday, May 1
      Saturday’s flights are all marked as no earlier than which means none of them may take off. Some of the interesting flights listed include the Starlink 25 mission which will see 60 more Starlink satellites orbited, a Northrop Grumman Pegasus XL rocket could deploy the TacRL-2 mission as part of Space Force’s Tactically Responsive Launch program, and Virgin Galactic could carry out a test flight of its SpaceShipTwo rocket-plane carrying several commercial payloads. If previous weeks are anything to go by, we will likely look at these missions in a bit more depth in future TWIRL instalments.

Last week
      We got some interesting news on the space front last week. For the first time, NASA flew a helicopter on the surface of another celestial body and NASA and SpaceX carried out the second successful Crew Dragon mission carrying astronauts to the space station. There are currently 11 people residing on the ISS for the next couple of days which is most likely a record for the number of people on the ISS at any one time.

• By zikalify
      Crew-2 Dragon mission successfully launches towards ISS
      by Paul Hill

NASA has announced that astronauts aboard the SpaceX Crew-2 Dragon are now in orbit following an early morning launch and are headed for the International Space Station (ISS). This is the second time a SpaceX Crew Dragon craft is taking astronauts to the ISS.

The rocket, which launched at 5:49 a.m. EDT on Friday from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, is carrying NASA astronauts Shane Kimbrough and Megan McArthur, JAXA astronaut Akihiko Hoshide, and ESA astronaut Thomas Pesquet. Their time aboard the ISS will last six months while they perform various science experiments and ISS maintenance.

You can see the launch highlights and post-launch coverage in the video below:

Commenting on the launch, NASA Acting Administrator Steve Jurczyk said:

The astronauts are set to autonomously dock at the ISS’ Harmony module nearly 24-hours after launch at 5:10 a.m. EDT on Saturday. The docking, hatch opening, and welcoming ceremony will be live-streamed on NASA’s website. Once aboard, there will be 11 astronauts and cosmonauts on the ISS but four of them are set to depart back for Earth after a couple of days so it shouldn’t be too cramped up there.

• By zikalify
      NASA has delayed the Crew-2 Dragon mission to the ISS
      by Paul Hill

Over the weekend when This Week in Rocket Launches #9 was published, it was planned that the Crew-2 Dragon mission carrying astronauts to the International Space Station would take place on Thursday, April 22. Due to unfavourable weather conditions along the flight path, NASA is now looking to launch the mission at 5:49 a.m. EDT on Friday, April 23.

According to the new schedule, the crew is scheduled to dock at the space station just under 24 hours after launch at 5:10 a.m. on Saturday, April 24. The mission will be carrying four astronauts, namely NASA’s Shane Kimbrough and Megan McArthur, JAXA’s Akihiko Hoshide, and ESA’s Thomas Pesquet. Once they arrive, the ISS will be host to a large crew of 11 people.

On Friday at 1:30 a.m. EDT, NASA Television will begin live launch coverage. This will be followed up at 7:30 a.m. with a press conference hosted by NASA’s Steve Jurczyk and Kathy Lueders, JAXA’s Hiroshi Sasaki, ESA’s Frank de Winne, and an unnamed representative from SpaceX.

The docking, hatch opening, and welcoming ceremony will also be streamed live on Saturday at 5:10 a.m., 7:15 a.m., and 7:45 a.m. respectively. To prepare for the stream, be sure to head over to the NASA TV website and save it as a bookmark ready for the launch.