How do you think the Wii U will fare this holiday season?

How will the Wii U fare against the PS4 & Xbox One?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Wii U fare against the PS4 & Xbox One?

• It'll do quite well, don't count Ninty out.
    • It'll enjoy a moderate amount of success.
    • Are you kidding? Against 2 new, (technically)superior consoles? It's doomed!
    • Other. Specify.

Not seen any POS material in any of the game shops on the high street for the Wii U.  There seems no consumer interest either.

This is one of the problems IMO. Every game store has all but taken it off the shelves.

I also think it needs a bit of a kick start. The biggest selling point for the Wii U has always been first party games. A ?230-240 bundle of the Wii U, Nintendo Land, and the 3 Mario/Luigi games would raise sales drastically I imagine.

Good topic, compl3x.

I hope that consumers come to appreciate the Wii U as the most innovative console of this generation.

In spite of the fact that it has performed rather poorly, I believe that the Wii U may gain some traction this holiday season. My reasons for this are:

• The Wii U will be the cheapest console at the time.
  • The Wii U is targeted towards both casual and hardcore gamers. Although some may consider this detrimental to the console's success, it allows the console to attract a larger audience.
  • The console is backward compatible with most Wii games and peripherals.
  • Anticipated games, such as the new Super Smash Bros., are due to be released next year.

The Wii U is not really cheap considering the price of Nintendo's previous consoles. Also, I doubt most of these points listed will save it from becoming a failure, unfortunately.  On the plus side, I believe Nintendo in future will stick with the portable market, which has always had strong sales for them. :)

Good topic, compl3x.

I wish I could take credit for the idea but it is a poll over at gamepolitics.com and I just knocked it off  :rofl:

Pricing at EB Games:

Wii U $428 (Premium)

PS4 $549

Xbox One $599

I think I'd rather add $121 or $171 to get a Playstation 4 or an Xbox One.

I might be forced to buy a second-hand one, just to play Bayonetta 2.

Alternatively, I could just quit gaming altogether.

lol. A bit of an over-reaction, isn't it? 

lol. A bit of an over-reaction, isn't it?

Don't play much these days, anyway. The only thing that may keep me interested may be playing games with my son as he gets older.

Don't play much these days, anyway. The only thing that may keep me interested may be playing games with my son as he gets older.

To be honest, I'd be shocked if it was only a Nintendo release, seems a bit of a silly idea, yes it stands to reason it'll help boost sales, but I don't think it would boost them that much this close to next gen release

and all those gamers who don't want a Nintendo but do want the game being SoL just..........

Actually, it seems quite plausible now that I think about it.

Pricing at EB Games:

Wii U $428 (Premium)

PS4 $549

Xbox One $599

I think I'd rather add $121 or $171 to get a Playstation 4 or an Xbox One.

I agree...

There is NO, Metroid, Super Smash Bros., Zelda, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Mario Kart, on store shelves to brag about. 

Nintendo is taking the gun pointing it at it's own foot and pulling the trigger... that's sad and scary at the same time.

There is NO, Metroid, Super Smash Bros., Zelda, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Mario Kart, on store shelves to brag about yet

FTFY

Besides, what happened to people moaning about Nintendo rehashing and not branching out to new IP?

Grab your pitchforks men!

FTFY

Besides, what happened to people moaning about Nintendo rehashing and not branching out to new IP?

Grab your pitchforks men!

I'll take new Mario Karts, New Zelda's, New Metroid's, New Kid Icarus',  and new Punch Out's...

Games like Mad World (although a 3rd party game) was awesome. But Nintendo got scared and didn't seem as if they wanted to stick with it.  

They could of stuck with the tried and true while rolling in a new IP every 24months or so.

ugh, this crap happens with Every. Single. Nintendo. System. Ever.

Nintendo has to release a game from every one of their IPs immediately or neckbeards start pitching a fit.

I'll take new Mario Karts, New Zelda's, New Metroid's, New Kid Icarus',  and new Punch Out's...

Games like Mad World (although a 3rd party game) was awesome. But Nintendo got scared and didn't seem as if they wanted to stick with it.  

They could of stuck with the tried and true while rolling in a new IP every 24months or so.

Why do you keep mentioning punch out as if it's one of the important titles when it's not?

Why do you keep mentioning punch out as if it's one of the important titles when it's not?

Because Punch Out was and is awesome (I'm thinking way back to the NES and SNES versions though...)..  Get Mike Tyson back on board (not the Mr. Dream guy) re-do the game and have fun...

Nintendo has so many gems that they can bring back out today and they would be HITS...  Where is my new SUPER MARIO RPG???...  loved that game...

i owned 2 xbox 360, 3 ps3, and 4 different models of Wii.

with wii, i only got it to play a certain game, then sold it off.

i wanted to buy will u, too.   however, so far i dont see the game i want to buy it for.  all the games are coming later.

they really dropped the ball with this one!  it might do well, but not as well as wii,    the novelty of motion controller+sports game+cheap price is wearing off.

It would be nice if they were doing either. People might complain about rehashing/HD upgrades but people always buy them, myself included.

As I recall all of nintendos big first party title launches are for next year ( good 1.5 years after launch or nearly so) from smash bros to mario kart to the new mario game. with this games, it could have owned holiday sales, without them, it's gonna stay flat as it is today. 

There's a lot more games for the WiiU, hardcore gamers will go for the PS4 and X1 but most people will wait until there's more games for the systems (and maybe even a price decrease).

The WiiU has a really good holiday lineup, Zelda, new Mario U, new Luigi U, Mario 3D World, etc etc While some of them are not new games, to someone picking up a new WiiU they are

http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u

There is no Zelda, the ONLY game coming out before xmas that has any possibility of drawing in more buyers is Mario 3D world.

of course when the buyer looks int he shelf to see how many other games they can get, and the only game they see is the probably better but over one year old 2.5 new NSMB game. while the shelfs for the brand new Xbox and PS consoles have 10+ boxed games on them already... yeah...

http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u

There is no Zelda, the ONLY game coming out before xmas that has any possibility of drawing in more buyers is Mario 3D world.

of course when the buyer looks int he shelf to see how many other games they can get, and the only game they see is the probably better but over one year old 2.5 new NSMB game. while the shelfs for the brand new Xbox and PS consoles have 10+ boxed games on them already... yeah...

Many of those which you see on the shelves are ports and sports(with a bit of casual). When you look at the number of titles worth buying from that shelf with the impending new consoles this year, and that don't fit into the aforementioned categories, they each can be counted on one hand(and with fingers to spare).

Also, You're not actually trying to say the only other game to pick for the wii u is NSMBU, are you?

Also, You're not actually trying to say the only other game to pick for the wii u is NSMBU, are you?

It pretty much is. sure for 14 and below there lego city undercover something, sure it's "fun", but not something I'd spend money on.

Many of those which you see on the shelves are ports and sports(with a bit of casual). When you look at the number of titles worth buying from that shelf with the impending new consoles this year, and that don't fit into the aforementioned categories, they each can be counted on one hand(and with fingers to spare).

As for this. Here's a small list of the non sports and casual games:  

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 

Battlefield 4

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Crimson Dragon

Dead Rising 3

Forza Motorsport 5

Need for Speed: Rivals

Killer Instinct

Ryse: Son of Rome

now, sure there's a big list of major sports games, like Fifa, NBA, Madde and so on as well. you know what we call those ? system sellers. 

So when the parents sees the shelf with a handful of Nintendo games, most f which are mediocre, and the xbox shelf with all this, plus Fifa and the other big ones, as well as casual stars like skylanders, and lego marvel and so on. which one would you pick ? 

I'm not selling my WiiU. but if I had a bad economy, it would be first out. before any one of y 360's. the only reason I keep it is to wait for Mario Kart Smash Bros and mostly a new zelda sometime in the far future. Now I don't think many people would keep a system for 4-5 games in total, 3+ of which aren't out yet and won't be for half a year... (for the record I also have some COD game on it, Tekken and that crappy zombie game that everyone thought was amazing because it keeps pulling you out of the game immersion to play around with the pad in some unimaginative way) 

I voted "it's doomed". The Wind Waker HD bundle did all it's going to do in terms of boosting sales. There might be a slight increase when it gets closer to Christmas, but that will only be due to parents that wanted a PS4 or Xbox but couldn't get one. (and they had to get something) The Wii U will never recover. Even with new Nintendo first party games, there isn't enough public awareness or interest to suddenly sell millions of consoles.

It pretty much is. sure for 14 and below there lego city undercover something, sure it's "fun", but not something I'd spend money on.

Oh, come on now. Even a friend of mine who's similarly a fan of xbox like you are would tell you there's more there than nsmbu and lego city.

As for this. Here's a small list of the non sports and casual games:  

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 

Battlefield 4

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Crimson Dragon

Dead Rising 3

Forza Motorsport 5

Need for Speed: Rivals

Killer Instinct

Ryse: Son of Rome

now, sure there's a big list of major sports games, like Fifa, NBA, Madde and so on as well. you know what we call those ? system sellers. 

So when the parents sees the shelf with a handful of Nintendo games, most f which are mediocre, and the xbox shelf with all this, plus Fifa and the other big ones, as well as casual stars like skylanders, and lego marvel and so on. which one would you pick ? 

I'm not selling my WiiU. but if I had a bad economy, it would be first out. before any one of y 360's. the only reason I keep it is to wait for Mario Kart Smash Bros and mostly a new zelda sometime in the far future. Now I don't think many people would keep a system for 4-5 games in total, 3+ of which aren't out yet and won't be for half a year... (for the record I also have some COD game on it, Tekken and that crappy zombie game that everyone thought was amazing because it keeps pulling you out of the game immersion to play around with the pad in some unimaginative way) 

4 of those listed are ports, current gen ports and sports aren't really system sellers(unless you have more money than brains and think, say, cod or madden is somehow worth near $600). Another 2 are xbl titles, if i recall, not retail. So consumers wont even see those before they buy the box. That leaves 3 titles for the One of that list on the shelf that could (arguably) be worth buying.