Downgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 7

Yes! retail version from amazon!

in the blue box and everything.. so i can have two pcs working simultanesly??

Technically... yes you could. Legally however, it's against your licensing terms. While you don't usually have to re-activate by phone for 2 activations, you're still only licensed for one concurrent running of the OS. So you can probably do it but you will be violating the terms of the EULA and technically unlicensed.

Technically... yes you could. Legally however, it's against your licensing terms. While you don't usually have to re-activate by phone for 2 activations, you're still only licensed for one concurrent running of the OS. So you can probably do it but you will be violating the terms of the EULA and technically unlicensed.

He's downgrading, his Windows 8 license should cover this scenario. As the link posted earlier said, even if the Windows 7 key doesn't work, you can call and get a one time activation. 

He's downgrading, his Windows 8 license should cover this scenario. As the link posted earlier said, even if the Windows 7 key doesn't work, you can call and get a one time activation. 

Wouldn't using the retail key still technically be a violation of his licensing terms?

Wouldn't using the retail key still technically be a violation of his licensing terms?

From the MS site:

Obtain genuine Windows media and a corresponding product key for the version of Windows that is eligible for downgrade.

• The media should come from a prior legally licensed version from the OEM or retail channels.

Seems fine how I read it. I'm not sure how else you would ever install a prior version if you were a normal user.

My question is, why do you want to downgrade in the first place?

I 2nd that question

to the  OP  are you having troubles with windows 8.1  and if so what troubles    are you having issues figuring stuff  out cause if so ther is a tips and tricks  tile   in the start screen to show you how you do everything 

Also downgrading  to windows 7 you will sacrifice  performance  that windows 8.1  gives you as well as battery life 

Well, Dell doesn't provide a Windows 7 DVD with a new computer that has Windows 8 pre-installed, so if you want to downgrade you have to call Dell and ask them to deliver to you a Dell Windows 7 DVD(in my country they do that for free, either postal or by person if it is an business machine). It's free btw, as long you are entailed to downgrade rights (again, ask Dell if unsure). Also for installing Windows 7 you must deactivate Secure Boot, did that to 3 Dell laptops in the past months (same problem; downgrade rights to Windows 7).

And this is important: it must be a Dell DVD of Windows 7 (either x32 or x64, doesn't matter); you can't use another Windows 7 DVD and expect to activate with you Windows 8 key because it wont, the downgrade rights are valid for the OEM keys, not retail. So unless you have a Windows 7 DVD with a retail key or a valid volume license, your only way to install Windows 7 is with the Dell DVD of Windows 7.

In fact, HP because of this mess pre-installs Windows 7 in newer laptops / workstations and provides the DVD of Windows 8, so if the user wants Windows 7 it's pre-installed but if it want's Windows 8 it just needs to install using the provided DVD. It's a much user friendly solution than Dells.

TBH, there is more good about windows 8 than bad, if you really hate the modern UI, you can mostly hide it using apps like startisback or start8, so I'm not sure why you are so set on Windows 7

My understanding is that the OP has a Windows 8 installation and a Windows 7 key separate from his Windows 8. If that's the case, the OP should have no legal or technical road blocks in downgrading to Windows 7, he'll only have to install like normal. Upgrading back to Windows 8 might be more problematic without install media.

My question is, why do you want to downgrade in the first place?

I just didnt like the new UI. I feel more comfortable working in Windows 7. I dont need any of the Windows 8 features. I am satisfied with what Windows 7 has been for years now.

I installed Windows 7 64bit on my new i7 laptop with no hassle. Used my retail disc.

I 2nd that question

to the  OP  are you having troubles with windows 8.1  and if so what troubles    are you having issues figuring stuff  out cause if so ther is a tips and tricks  tile   in the start screen to show you how you do everything 

Also downgrading  to windows 7 you will sacrifice  performance  that windows 8.1  gives you as well as battery life 

I did everything from tips and tricks and still wasnt satisfied with Windows 8. Why would we want to change Windows 8 from what it is to look like 7 when we can simply continue using Windows 7 and not have any problem software wise. It all comes down to producing the work you are paid for in the company you work in. I'd rather do it in a more "friendly" and familiar Windows environment.

TBH, there is more good about windows 8 than bad, if you really hate the modern UI, you can mostly hide it using apps like startisback or start8, so I'm not sure why you are so set on Windows 7

I agree. Windows 8 are advertised as better than all previous. But all Windows 8 brought to my work experience is discomfort. Now I'm back to Windows 7, laptop works perfectly, DELL provided me with all of the needed x64 drivers through their support page.

My understanding is that the OP has a Windows 8 installation and a Windows 7 key separate from his Windows 8. If that's the case, the OP should have no legal or technical road blocks in downgrading to Windows 7, he'll only have to install like normal. Upgrading back to Windows 8 might be more problematic without install media.

Yeap. And that's what I did. I already have the Windows 8 reinstall discs from DELL so IF for whatever reason (which I doubt) I decide to switch back, I will be able to.

The simple solution to make Windows 8.1 more-or-less like Windows 7 is Classic Shell or StartIsBack+. No more start screen, restored start menu, etc.

I agree. I've done a Windows 7 downgrade myself and it's a right old headache.. not only do you need to install W7 but also the 200 updates that come with it.. I went back to 8.1, learned to embrace it and couldn't be happier.. if you can't learn to live with it just install a classic shell.

how often does anyone do licensing  legally anymore? I sure dont. I been transferring them countless times. I have a spare windows 7 PKC i can sell you if you want

The differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8 are like Windows 98 and Windows ME, meaning they aren't enormous. If the OP wanst so return to Windows 7, he isn't losing out on a whole lot other than the Metro stuff, improved performance (varies between PCs), the ribbon menus and the new task manager. The aero glass seems to be an upgrade from WIndows 8 UI. If the OP wants to upgrade downgrade to Windows 7, it is his choice.

The differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8 are like Windows 98 and Windows ME, meaning they aren't enormous. If the OP want so return to Windows 7, he isn't losing out on anything other than the Metro stuff, improved performance (varies between PCs), the ribbon menus and the new task manager;

I disagree, I think Windows 8 is a big difference from Windows 7. Also, Windows Me was rushed and buggy, so why compare it to Windows 8, which Microsoft put a lot effort into?

The differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8 are like Windows 98 and Windows ME, meaning they aren't enormous. If the OP wanst so return to Windows 7, he isn't losing out on a whole lot other than the Metro stuff, improved performance (varies between PCs), the ribbon menus and the new task manager. The aero glass seems to be an upgrade from WIndows 8 UI. If the OP wants to upgrade downgrade to Windows 7, it is his choice.

Umm no that would Be Windows Vista to Windows 7. Because of the UI overhaul the difference to most people is enormous and requires a lot of relearning.

I meant the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7 was like the multimedia functionality they put into Windows me, not the crapiness factor. Desktop wise, Windows 8 and Windows 7 isn't ginormous

I disagree, I think Windows 8 is a big difference from Windows 7. Also, Windows Me was rushed and buggy, so why compare it to Windows 8, which Microsoft put a lot effort into?