SkyDrive coming to Xbox One

http://majornelson.com/2013/11/11/skydrive-coming-to-xbox-one/

http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-one-skydrive

SkyDrive001.png?w=940

SkyDrive helps you keep your files always with you, no matter where you are. As part of this promise, we believe it?s important to have tailored experiences on all of the devices that are important to our customers.

So today, we are excited to announce that we are bringing your photos and videos to your TV through Xbox One, starting on November 22 when Xbox One becomes available. SkyDrive on Xbox One provides a seamless, beautiful experience for you to kick back and enjoy photos and videos in your own personal collection, or those shared with you.

The app also takes advantage of exclusive Xbox One features: You can open photo albums from channels in the OneGuide, play music alongside your slideshows with Xbox Music, and control the whole app with gestures and voice, courtesy of Kinect. It all starts with the simple command, ?Xbox: Go to SkyDrive.?

SkyDrive is the best way to see your photos and videos on the big screen via Xbox One, made possible via a collaboration between the SkyDrive team and Xbox team. Jeff Henshaw, principal group product manager on the Xbox team, sat down with Larry Larsen from Channel 9 to demo the app.

externalimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.youtu

Simple, fun, automatic.

This app is unlike any other SkyDrive experience we have shipped. Our goal was to bring you a simple, fun experience,  so we focused our energy on photos and videos, which look and sound great on your TV.

The first thing we focused on was making it easy to find photos and see them in a slide show. I recently added my whole archive of family photos to SkyDrive?about 40 GB. With this app, I was able to pull up pictures from trips I took years ago but never bothered to dig through my computer to find.

The second key experience we focused on was viewing shared photos and videos. Imagine being able to view cherished photos and videos shared by friends and family?like a musical performance, a kid?s birthday, or a baby?s first steps?on your TV.

The third experience we wanted to work great is what we dubbed ?Snap and see.? Every photo I take with my Windows Phone gets automatically uploaded to SkyDrive, so after a day of taking pictures, I can just turn on the TV and show them to my family. I don?t have to think about it or find a cord. It just works great.

SkyDrive003.png

Zoom, pan, enhance.

After building the app with the Xbox team, we played around with what was fun and added in cool actions. One example: we added the ability to zoom in to a 4k resolution image of a sports stadium or city landscape. To keep the app snappy, we only download full screen (1080p) thumbnails of the images to show in slide show. But if you are on a large image, you can use the right trigger on the Xbox One controller to zoom in, which downloads a higher resolution version. You can then pan around with the right stick.

We also wanted to make the standard slide show more engaging. Instead of just a simple fade, your photos slide and zoom into view. 

SkyDrive002.png

A personal cloud and entertainment experience exclusive to Xbox One

The Xbox is an all-in-one games and entertainment device. To help you find content, the Xbox OneGuide is the single source to browse and find live TV, on-demand streaming video from apps, or even your own SkyDrive photos or videos. Apps can plug into the OneGuide platform and show content in the same way you would traditionally read a TV guide.

SkyDrive automatically adds your Pictures folder and the Camera Roll as channels for quick access, but you can also add any folder from the SkyDrive app into the list of app channels. When you select a photo, you are taken directly into a slide show of the picture and the rest of the album. For example, if my friend was on vacation in Hawaii, he could share a photo album with me and I could add it to the OneGuide. Any new pictures he puts in his folder will show up in my app channel. This is a much easier way to get updates than looking through the app.

On the Xbox One, apps can be snapped side by side and run simultaneously, which is especially useful for SkyDrive. You can browse the web in Internet Explorer while playing home videos from your SkyDrive, or look up more information about a particular photo in SkyDrive in Internet Explorer. My favorite combo is snapping in Xbox Music to add a background track to my slide show.

We hope you are as excited by the beautiful experiences of SkyDrive in Xbox One as we are. We?re pleased to announce that the SkyDrive app will be available on the Xbox One launch day, November 22nd. After you set up your Xbox One, just say, ?Xbox: Go To SkyDrive.? to get started. Until then, get ready by uploading your photos and videos to SkyDrive!

Dan Somrack
Program Manager, SkyDrive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Vlsqft27I

The integration of all of these services is impressive. It looks like it performs well, so I hope the end user experience is just as fluid. I especially like how the app can sync with the guide.

Its one of those apps that may not be an epic feature, but it offers several little thing that just makes things easier. Simple things like taking a photo on your phone and then being able to see it on your tv via this app without involving any cords.

Give me a console that plays games. If I wanted Skydrive I would turn on my laptop.

If want console the that console that does better graphics I would just a get PC.   PC are so far ahead right now it make PS4 and Xbox one feel vastly inferior.

Give me a console that plays games. If I wanted Skydrive I would turn on my laptop.

Um, you don't have to use any of these apps.

You can just buy the console for games.

Extra features don't mean other features go away.

Well, surprise, it does play games.   Fancy that!

If want console the that console that does better graphics I would just a get PC.   PC are so far ahead right now it make PS4 and Xbox one feel vastly inferior.

If I wanted a console that only played games instead of games and so much more, then I would get either an original Xbox, PS2, or PS4.

The Skydrive app is one of the few Metro apps that I regularly use on my HTPC.  It's great to be able to view pictures taken on my Lumia on my TV without having to do anything other than open the app.

It's a great idea to include this in the Xbox.

Microsoft is clicking on all cylinders right now...  The reveal, E3 (which I loved both personally) are both in the rear view mirror and fading quickly...

Next gen is going to be awesome...  Microsoft, is making it very very hard to turn down the One...

And it's starting to show that the $500 price tag goes beyond Kinect being in every box...  And this is stuff it can do out the box on day 1...

Yes it's about the games... But I know, I do a TON of other things with my 360, once I leave Dishonored, or NBA 2K... etc...

Microsoft, the "I'm just gonna shut up and show you" thing is working for you right now.  Don't say another word... just continue to be quiet and show the goods. All you are allowed to do is show how it works... no PR talk..

Just, things like this are good... that is all...

Fortunately for people like you they have a product called...wait for it...Xbox One.

• Like 3

Microsoft is clicking on all cylinders right now...  The reveal, E3 (which I loved both personally) are both in the rear view mirror and fading quickly...

Next gen is going to be awesome...  Microsoft, is making it very very hard to turn down the One...

And it's starting to show that the $500 price tag goes beyond Kinect being in every box...  And this is stuff it can do out the box on day 1...

Yes it's about the games... But I know, I do a TON of other things with my 360, once I leave Dishonored, or NBA 2K... etc...

Microsoft, the "I'm just gonna shut up and show you" thing is working for you right now.  Don't say another word... just continue to be quiet and show the goods. All you are allowed to do is show how it works... no PR talk..

Just, things like this are good... that is all...

Skydrive is behind the Gold paywall, so the $100 difference doesn't pay for apps like it.

*Microsoft is clicking on all cylinders right now...  The reveal, E3 (which I loved both personally) are both in the rear view mirror and fading quickly...

Just, things like this are good... that is all... * 

*=  All of the above is reference to me and my sole opinion only.  This does not reflect the opinion of NEOWIN any other future Xbox One user.  Results of happiness may vary user to user.

Skydrive is behind the Gold paywall, so the $100 difference doesn't pay for apps like it.

I corrected it... :D

I' also have 5-6yrs of Xbox Live Gold passes sitting at home (kinda hard to turn them down when you find them at $35-$40 range

I suppose you could argue that the $100 nets you a more robust OS that allows for apps like the Skydrive app to be more useful than otherwise possible.

The X1 is running Win 8.1 under the hood after all.

I suppose you could argue that the $100 nets you a more robust OS that allows for apps like the Skydrive app to be more useful than otherwise possible.

The X1 is running Win 8.1 under the hood after all.

I think they should be paying me the $100 to go through that torture then :p

*You couldn't pay me enough to use (vanilla) Win8/8.1

Where does it cost 100 bucks for XBL?

Amazon regularly has it in "Gold Box" for about 35 a year... right now its listed at 54 but if you order an xbox / x1 you get 20 bucks off too.

I'm guessing 100.00 difference in ps4 vs 1?  odd way of putting it.. lol i don't think skydrive was ever the price differentiator.

I think they should be paying me the $100 to go through that torture then :p

*You couldn't pay me enough to use (vanilla) Win8/8.1

Yes, well that's nice.

Back to the point.  The X1 is using a general purpose OS, something much more robust than say the Xbox OS that is used only for the gaming features. 

There is value to that, but MS has to demonstrate that.  Its not going to be a single epic feature but more about a series of small things. 

Where does it cost 100 bucks for XBL?

Amazon regularly has it in "Gold Box" for about 35 a year... right now its listed at 54 but if you order an xbox / x1 you get 20 bucks off too.

I'm guessing 100.00 difference in ps4 vs 1?  odd way of putting it.. lol i don't think skydrive was ever the price differentiator.

Nowhere? And nobody said it does either?

Showan was trying to say the $100 difference closed the gap because he got apps like Skydrive, which isn't true. $100 extra for the console and then more for Gold to use it.