CoD Ghosts - PS4 frame rate fix in the works

The early reviews of Call of Duty: Ghosts--including mine--mentioned that the PlayStation 4 version of the game suffers from occasional frame rate issues. For me, it usually showed up whenever there were a lot of particle effects on screen, but it'd pop up at random, too. I'm told that Infinity Ward is working on a patch to correct the performance issues.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a-few-last-minute-bits-of-playstation-4-info/1100-4785/

downres confirmed?

but for real, I highly doubt it its as simple as a "fix" when IW says this to DF

And it wasn't a lack of effort. It wasn't that it was like last minute. We had the theoretical hardware for a long time. That's the thing you get pretty quickly and that doesn't change dramatically. It was more about resource allocation. The resource allocation is different on the consoles. That huge web of tangled resources, whether it's threads-based or if it's GPU threads or if it's memory - whatever it is - optimisation is something that could go theoretically on forever.

They either will lower the effects in some area, or really optimize the coding.

Dynamic effect reduction. never allow certain effects together, and nevermore than so and so particles.

outside of redoing the whole engine and actually making a new modern engine that is all they can do. 

looks like the resolution has already been downgraded. the recent frame captures and videos from thesixthaxis and IGN show the ps4 version actually running at 720p native,confirmed by pixel counting.

or that. however a simple downres might not affect performance as much as many expect. particle effects can have a bigger impact on performance than resolution. 

outside of redoing the whole engine and actually making a new modern engine that is all they can do. 

One day Infinity Ward might actually make a new game engine. That would be a glorious long overdue day.

If its a software fix and they're not re-releasing textures, then all their doing is scaling the graphics in game engine/software vs how the X1 is scaling it via hardware... i can't imagine they would use lower res textures for single player as well, seems.. odd.

Either way, IW blew it

So now that is has been confirmed that there is a day one patch for the ps4 version of COD, that could be the patch hinted at here.

The weird thing is that they admit that SP has been running at 720p and that this patch will bump that up to 1080p.  There is no mention of fixing the framerate issue specifically, so who knows if the day one patch even addresses that part of it.