PS4 UI Video Walkthrough

PS4 UI Walkthrough - Menus, Friends, Profile (Playstation 4 User Interface)

PS4 UI Walkthrough -- DVR, Twitch, Apps, Store (Playstation 4 User Interface)

PS4 UI Walkthrough -- Remote Play (Playstation 4 User Interface)

• Like 2

It's still frustrating that Sony hasn't done an official walkthrough yet. These videos, while direct feeds are still crappy. There is no narration, the audio cuts out, there are weird cuts to black, etc. The editing of the videos was terrible, but what I saw of the UI I liked. It's simple and fast. That's all I want.

Got to say, it does look nice and is a far improvement over the PS3 UI but it is messy and lacking.

Can't wait to play with that remote play stuff.

Thanks a lot for sharing these AB. I've been trying to get my head wrapped around how the whole UI fits together since we keep getting bits an pieces.

It does seem kind of messy, a bit of a Frankenstein style with different elements brought together across different sections of the UI. They took their old text/menu driven style and then tried to infuse more visual cues. That activity feed looks especially busy. I think its all the different sized boxes that fit together like puzzle pieces. There is something lacking that make it not so easy on my eyes.

At least the performance seems to be there and it responds quickly.

I noticed they snuck in an ad for an extended warranty for the ps4 amongst the game titles in the marketplace. Not a bad idea to have that in there though I guess.

The UI is kind of dated and could use more refining especially with organization and spacing

Woah, finally. Will check them out! Thanks AB!

Edit: I think we need a better video. Overall, UI is at Android level (usability wise) and won't work well with voice nav.

The first videos were unedited, here

"Please set date & time"

really, sony?

Mixed feelings from those videos for me. General style is in some ways nicer than the PS3, but also goes a bit overboard with gradients, etc in places. Are some good design choice on spacing and margins (which make the errors more glaring). Navigation wise... hard to judge from just a video, but it looks like it needs more consistency between the various sections. To be honest, it'd take a lot for it to be better than the PS3's XMB for me.

UIs should be judged in use though, not from a video or screenshots. A pretty UI means nothing, nor does a messy one. I've got software on both my computer and phone that I use not because they are the prettiest, but because they do what they do best.

Mixed feelings from those videos for me. General style is in some ways nicer than the PS3, but also goes a bit overboard with gradients, etc in places. Are some good design choice on spacing and margins (which make the errors more glaring). Navigation wise... hard to judge from just a video, but it looks like it needs more consistency between the various sections. To be honest, it'd take a lot for it to be better than the PS3's XMB for me.

UIs should be judged in use though, not from a video or screenshots. A pretty UI means nothing, nor does a messy one. I've got software on both my computer and phone that I use not because they are the prettiest, but because they do what they do best.

Speed and the ability to do everything whilst in-game are all that's really needed over the PS3 XMB IMO. Both things are included now.

Voice navigation, logging in with a camera, move gestures, all of that crap I can do faster with a controller. I've only been using either a kb/m or controller since the early 90s. Call it being stubborn to change if you will, it simply works fastest (and 100% of the time / motions & voice can be finnicky) for me.

Speed and the ability to do everything whilst in-game are all that's really needed over the PS3 XMB IMO. Both things are included now.

Voice navigation, logging in with a camera, move gestures, all of that crap I can do faster with a controller. I've only been using either a kb/m or controller since the early 90s. Call it being stubborn to change if you will, it simply works fastest (and 100% of the time / motions & voice can be finnicky) for me.

heh..

I'll be able to walk into my living room say "xbox on" and it will recognize me and which controller i pickup  and have me in game quicker then any other experience i've seen... i doubt controller navigation will be nearly as quick because i don't need the controller to get started, just my voice.

i still like controllers though :)

Setting the voice controls aside, the things I'm reading about the UI seem to point to issues with navigating and organizing content.

I'm very interested in trying this out for myself on Friday, but it sounds like there is a general theme across the entire UI, including the psn store, of it being a bit difficult to find what you want without wading through long, horizontal lines of content. The lack of sorting or filtering options seems to be mentioned a lot as well.

heh..

I'll be able to walk into my living room say "xbox on" and it will recognize me and which controller i pickup  and have me in game quicker then any other experience i've seen... i doubt controller navigation will be nearly as quick because i don't need the controller to get started, just my voice.

i still like controllers though :)

Good for you!

You are discounting and misunderstanding voice navigation on Xbox One. It is not supposed to be the only way to use it.

Some things will be faster with controller (exit to dash, switch apps)

Some things will be faster with Kinect voice recognition (Xbox On, Xbox record that)

Some things will be faster with Kinect camera (Log in - obviously if you are the only person using it then auto login is wayyyy faster :p)

You are discounting and misunderstanding voice navigation on Xbox One. It is not supposed to be the only way to use it.

Some things will be faster with controller (exit to dash, switch apps)

Some things will be faster with Kinect voice recognition (Xbox On, Xbox record that)

Some things will be faster with Kinect camera (Log in - obviously if you are the only person using it then auto login is wayyyy faster :p)

I'm discounting voice navigation on anything. Not once did I mention the Xbox One in my post specifically, it's simply included with anything else that does voice navigation, including yes, the PS4. It's not my cup of tea.

So thanks for telling me I'm misunderstanding something  :/

• Like 1

Geez guys, if you don't like voice commands, good for you. If you do, good for you too.

You want to discuss how good the voice commands are for a particular system? Great.

Lets just leave out the petty squabbling.

• Like 2

To be honest this looks pretty messy right now. All the complaints they had about the new store on PS3 have been totally ignored and now it seems like most of the UI is the same.

• Like 1

The first videos were unedited, here

Much better video than the first ones in the OP. Feels a lot less hectic now. Never been a fan of Sony's UI but the fluidity and response is great. I hope they don't **** it up with the patches :laugh: