Official PS4 System reviews

oh, so now you're OK with advertising as long as you think its relevant.  I wasn't basing my point on that statement alone, just on the fact of advertising.

You should still give up, because this is going nowhere :)  As i said a zillion times in your qualms about advertising you can pin your apps/games in the dashboard and they're in your face as much as they are on PS4 and Steam

Why is that bad?  If you are interested in a game, but have waited until it was on sale and it is on sale NOW, wouldn't you want to know?

With that logic, isn't the entire Steam platform advertising to no end?  They do have games on the home page.

That is what steam is.  A digital game store with your own library and community.

I purchased many games when they were on sale through that "popup advertisement" you mention.

Now if Steam put ads for Doritos in there, I would agree.

• Like 1

So I got my Amazon Killzone bundle in the mail today. It had everything in it, including an extra copy of Shadow Fall. woot. Now my brother doesn't have to buy one! I haven't used it yet since I'm still "technically" working, but I've held the new DS4. It is really, really nice. I think the triggers are a huge improvement over the DS3, but not quite as satisfying to press as the 360 controller. The console itself is incredibly small too. I saw all the pictures and videos, but it feels even smaller in person.

Hopefully I don't have any problems when I go to plug it in. So far, so good!

I still get prompted for deals when i login and everywhere when viewing my library i see marketing for other games.

There's an option called "show installed games".

There's an option called "show installed games".

Yeah, and on the xbox there is "pinned apps"..

i don't get why we're still debating this.

Please note, i don't have a problem with the ads, i never notice them/never see them. I ignore them habitually. I was just pointing out the fact that almost every service i use, has them. Whether they be for other games within the service or whatever it may be.

A lot of gamers probably eat dorritos..  or taco bell, so i'm sure, they're happy to advertise there.

Yeah, and on the xbox there is "pinned apps"..

i don't get why we're still debating this.

I did not talk about the xbox at all. What's the point ?

You said there's adds on Steam. It is not true for account accessed from Canada. Might be different for other countries. The store can't be considered an add. It's a store and like all stores some products are featured/promoted. The games showing in your library are games you can play for free for a short period of time. Since you can play them for free at that given time i don't see how this can be considered add. And as far as i know if you filter by installed games only those wont show in your library.

I think Sony may have screwed the pooch on this one....this console has to be able to last at least ten years...it plays games and does that well but the living room has much more than just gaming going on.....Im sure it will do well but maybe long term might be an issue. I am getting the 1 for sure because I like its multi purpose ability. I mean the thought of coming home and telling my 1 to turn on making some coffee and sitting down to play is very compelling...also watching tv and taking Skype calls from trash talking friends? I can only see good things in the 1's future. IMO, the ps4 should be priced at about $199.00.

• Like 2

I think Sony may have screwed the pooch on this one....this console has to be able to last at least ten years...it plays games and does that well but the living room has much more than just gaming going on.....Im sure it will do well but maybe long term might be an issue.

I think it's the opposite. In 10 years pretty much all TVs and HT receivers will come with media capabilites and it will render the media capabilities of console close to useless unless you own an old TV and old HT receiver.

I think Sony may have screwed the pooch on this one....this console has to be able to last at least ten years...it plays games and does that well but the living room has much more than just gaming going on.....Im sure it will do well but maybe long term might be an issue. I am getting the 1 for sure because I like its multi purpose ability. I mean the thought of coming home and telling my 1 to turn on making some coffee and sitting down to play is very compelling...also watching tv and taking Skype calls from trash talking friends? I can only see good things in the 1's future. IMO, the ps4 should be priced at about $199.00.

See, I think talking to people via headset using in-game/friend chat works just as well if not better than skype.  I don't like talking to my devices (never use voice control on any device), and I have media devices.   It all depends what you want.  I think Sony made a hell of a game console and it will last longer than some of the media features xbone is touting.   I wish it were 199$ but then again I'd probably only get the xbone if it was priced 199 or lower.

oh, so now you're OK with advertising as long as you think its relevant.  I wasn't basing my point on that statement alone, just on the fact of advertising.

You should still give up, because this is going nowhere :)  As i said a zillion times in your qualms about advertising you can pin your apps/games in the dashboard and they're in your face as much as they are on PS4 and Steam

There are ads on Steam?  :huh:

I've never used a PS3, but the ads on Xbox Live are egregious, considering you're already paying for Live.

Not sure if troll post.

There are ads on Steam?  :huh:

I've never used a PS3, but the ads on Xbox Live are egregious, considering you're already paying for Live.

You now pay for PSN on PS4 and apparently there are now ads on the PS4 as well.

There are ads all over steam unless you make a desktop shortcut for a game to launch the game.  The entire steam interface is one big ad for everything they're selling.

Heck, a lot of games have built in ads they have sold sponsorships for

Well I've got it all set up, but I can't connect to PSN. Lame.

I expect the same for XB1 launch.. which is why i'm waiting this year.. impatiently, but still waiting :)

I expect the same for XB1 launch.. which is why i'm waiting this year.. impatiently, but still waiting :)

I tried waiting, but I just couldn't bring myself to cancel my preorder.  :rofl:

I tried waiting, but I just couldn't bring myself to cancel my preorder.  :rofl:

Anyone buying day one needs patience, to be willing to buy something knowing your likely to have some glitches and not have a lot of content for a while.

If you have that, then go for it.

There are ads all over steam unless you make a desktop shortcut for a game to launch the game.  The entire steam interface is one big ad for everything they're selling.

What Steam shows for sale is on the Store tab. The pop up notification for new releases and sales can be disabled in the interface. In fact, you can set the Interface up to jump right to your Library or other favorite pages instead of showing you the Store page upon logging in. You can also edit your jumplists if you didn't want to see the store on there either, right out of the options menu.

So no, you don't have to make desktop shortcuts at all. Furthermore, it's worth noting that many people like myself actually want to see the Store by default due to the nature of the sales they have. That's a big difference compared to what you see anywhere else.

• Like 1

It's a store front, it's not an ad. You also never have to look at it, as you mentioned. I mean my Apple TV shows new movies, but I wouldn't call them ads, that's obviously part of why I own the device.

But Doritos? On my game console? That's a bunch of crap.

• Like 1

It's a store front, it's not an ad. You also never have to look at it, as you mentioned. I mean my Apple TV shows new movies, but I wouldn't call them ads, that's obviously part of why I own the device.

But Doritos? On my game console? That's a bunch of crap.

What Steam shows for sale is on the Store tab. The pop up notification for new releases and sales can be disabled in the interface. In fact, you can set the Interface up to jump right to your Library or other favorite pages instead of showing you the Store page upon logging in. You can also edit your jumplists if you didn't want to see the store on there either, right out of the options menu.

So no, you don't have to make desktop shortcuts at all. Furthermore, it's worth noting that many people like myself actually want to see the Store by default due to the nature of the sales they have. That's a big difference compared to what you see anywhere else.

When you login to xbox live you see deals as well.. we're just debating absurdities at this point.  People are paying to market on the xbox dashboard, people are paying steam to market on the steam login and steam home pages..  its all advertising.

again, i don't really CARE.. there was someone else who was hating on EVERY shred of advertising even for relevant info and i just pointed out the obvious marketing everywhere regardless of you thinking its relevant or not.

• Like 2

When you login to xbox live you see deals as well.. we're just debating absurdities at this point.  People are paying to market on the xbox dashboard, people are paying steam to market on the steam login and steam home pages..  its all advertising.

again, i don't really CARE.. there was someone else who was hating on EVERY shred of advertising even for relevant info and i just pointed out the obvious marketing everywhere regardless of you thinking its relevant or not.

I don't really care about the Xbox dashboard. I was just pointing out the inaccuracies with Steam.