Broken PS4 Systems Popping Up

Looked at these last night and they are quite interesting. Going on my PC knowledge, 60'C seems very hot for anywhere but the chip surface itself.

The AMD dual core Bobcat APU's run at about 40-45ish degrees at idle with a passive heatsink.

The AMD dual core Bobcat APU's run at about 40-45ish degrees at idle with a passive heatsink.

That's like the average for most if not all PC CPUs tbh.   But then again,  I'm not packing my quad core i7 and my HD7870 GHz edition GPU into such a tiny space like the PS4 takes up.  I have a nice size mid-tower box with a good number of fans and solid airflow.    So it's all pretty relative at this point.   Comparing it to the PC side is fine but it's kind of apples to oranges.

My laptop can reach 76?C easily (overclocked 2.6 GHz) and that's standard according to AMD. max limit is 115?C, 95?C using overclocking to 3.0 GHz on prime 95. Never had a problem with it and I still use it.

Can't help thinking of this classic...

NSFW - XXX.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ

I feel for my gamer bros though, rough times :(

LOL hadn't seen that before :P (y)

• Like 3

It means that the heat is very focussed around a single area (which of course is logical with an APU design). But 60*C is VERY hot inside an electronic device, especially one so small that has all the connectivity at the location of the heat dissipation.

The upright position of the PS4 is also not quite handy either as it allows heat from the APU at the bottom to rise and congest within the case a lot more as there are no slits for heat dissipation there. They should have put more there like on the Xbox One. That's why the Xbox One has a big grill directly above the APU HSF and doesn't advise putting it upright (even though it does appear to have grills on the sides unlike the PS4).

Thanks (Y)

Tbh, I find the thermal images more concerning than the DOA issues. Can't imagine a 60'C ambient temperature is very beneficial to the long-term health of the console.

Look like I need to get out my digital thermometer and do some tests.

To the touch, I have noticed more heat from the case of the ps4 itself after running it the past couple of days. They match up with the thermal images that were posted in the other thread.

I am using mine in the horizontal position, so I'm going to keep a close eye on the temps.

So here is the list of known PS4 problems I found and copy pasted:

1. Blue lights of Death. Could not turn PS4 on. No any image on TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-eDs9kxeo

2. Red Line Of Death (RLOD). PS4 constantly overheats and shuts down or freezes.

3. White line of Death (WLOD). HDD problem.

4. Defective controller. Thumbstick rubber peels off & R1 button gets stuck

- R1 button gets stuck

- PS4 Controller R1 Button Defective after only 10 hours of play

5. Wobbles

6. Strange sound when inserting disc.

7. HDMI cable problem

8. PS4 is very loud.

9. Electroshocks its owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9_kTxjAeA

10. Bad assembly and cheap plastic. Someone could not find its power button because it was missed.

11. Defective disc drive. Sometimes can't play disc based games or movies.

12. The screen is glitchy.

13. Battery in controller dies in less than 6 hours of gameplay.

14. Bluray loads painfully slow.

15. Blu-ray will not output digital sound, neither will games. But the dashboard will?

16. Blu-ray looks DVD quality and a little bit muddy.

17. Blue blinding light on controller, with no option to turn it off.

18. Constant game freezing

19. Poor interface for inviting friends to online games

20. 3.5 hour initial set up

Reading the Amazon comments, does anyone know the difference between a pulsing blue / red light?

Assuming red means uber ****ed.

Blue means it's trying to power up, but can't connect to the TV for one reason or another.

Red means it's getting too hot (but hasn't overheated).

• Like 2

When we're sitting here in a few weeks, talking about the Xbone's issues, can we just all agree that it's foolish to buy a launch console without waiting for feedback?

When we're sitting here in a few weeks, talking about the Xbone's issues, can we just all agree that it's foolish to buy a launch console without waiting for feedback?

Why are so many people are fine with that? When I buy my tech (smartphones, TVs and etc.), I'm not ready to deal with broken hardware on arrival.

Why is it fine with consoles (especially from Sony)?

Why are so many people are fine with that? When I buy my tech (smartphones, TVs and etc.), I'm not ready to deal with broken hardware on arrival.

Why is it fine with consoles (especially from Sony)?

Why'd you have to add the "especially from Sony" part?  I'm confused.  Both fanboy sides are "okay" with launch issues.  But back to the real issue here...

And no, it's not OK.  But in the race to cut costs, **** happens.  If you have a good method for testing how millions of consoles will react in millions of different situations, please let me hear it.

Disclaimer: I have a 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS XL, Vita.  I bought all of them 6 months or longer after the launch.  No issues besides my 60GB PS3 fat YLODing after 5 years.

Why'd you have to add the "especially from Sony" part? I'm confused. Both fanboy sides are "okay" with launch issues. But back to the real issue here...

And no, it's not OK. But in the race to cut costs, **** happens. If you have a good method for testing how millions of consoles will react in millions of different situations, please let me hear it.

Disclaimer: I have a 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS XL, Vita. I bought all of them 6 months or longer after the launch. No issues besides my 60GB PS3 fat YLODing after 5 years.

When Microsoft had issues, they were Microsoft's problems alone.. Not Sony, nor Nintendo...

Sony is getting mixed feedback and all I see in the web is, "Wait till Microsoft has the same problem".

Yes crap happens, but let's not drag in another company because one company is catching a bit of flak.

There may be failures with the One, don't get me wrong. But let them be separate issues.

RRoD is still fresh in Microsoft's minds, that's why the One was built like a tank. And are hoping and praying that heat won't be an issue 2x in a row...

• Like 3

Why'd you have to add the "especially from Sony" part?  I'm confused.  Both fanboy sides are "okay" with launch issues.  But back to the real issue here...

And no, it's not OK.  But in the race to cut costs, **** happens.  If you have a good method for testing how millions of consoles will react in millions of different situations, please let me hear it.

Added that part, because reading this thread from the begining is like watching a comedy show. "The 1st version of devices I buy always break. Even software, too. cwEfoqE.png" - firy

And it's always like that in this forum section. Sony can never do wrong, no matter the severity of the issues with their hardware or changes to the worse from their promises.

This can't just be a "small issue"... Out of the 4 people I know who bought PS4's 3 of them will not start up and have the blinking blue light issue..... all were bought from the same place... not sure if that batch was just bad or what

Honestly, as much as I enjoy the schadenfreude of watching XB1 fanboys and PS4 fanboys argue over the stupidest of things regarding the consoles, I'd be seriously bummed out if large corporations like Sony are cutting corners just to have that "FIRST!!!" mentality.  I understand tech has become so much more advanced, but it's tiring seeing new products come out full of bugs and glitches, with the expectation that users should wait to fix what should have been fixed with a little more time spent in development or QC.

• Like 3