Waitress denied

Any waitstaff expecting a tip from me had better do a hell of a lot more than just their basic jobs, or they'll be pretty damn disappointed.

As for the no minimum wage for servers, that's just utterly disgusting and needs to be sorted out. What the hell is the point of a minimum wage if certain job sectors are excluded?

As per Federal law:

"If the employee?s tips combined with the employer?s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference."

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm

This little factoid rarely gets brought up in sob-stories about servers not getting tips and comments on how you're robbing them of their livelihood if you don't tip.

As per Federal law:

"If the employee?s tips combined with the employer?s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference."

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm

This little factoid rarely gets brought up in sob-stories about servers not getting tips and comments on how you're robbing them of their livelihood if you don't tip.

Actually, I am fully aware of that law, and exactly how it works.

The point is, in the UK for example, servers get paid at LEAST the national minimum wage (?6.31 p/h or $10.30 for over 21) PLUS their tips, not INCLUDING tips.  Essentially, US law expects customers to pay server staff, with the actual employer paying them a pittance in comparison.

It should not be the customers job to pay their server staff. Tips are a thank you for better than standard service, nothing more.

• Like 2

My point is that whenever the subject of tipping comes up certain people accuse you of being Satan if you say you don't always tip a certain amount becasue "they make less than minimum wage if they don't get tips," which is pure BS.

Frankly the whole idea of tipping should be thrown out. I never received tips for operating machinery or repairing aircraft electronics.

Gay New Jersey waitress in tip flap is compulsive liar, friends say

Now, people who know Morales are calling her credibility into question.

Kristina Calamusa, who describes herself as a former friend of Morales, told The Daily Caller that the waitress claimed to her that she was ?blown up by a land mine overseas.?

But, according to Calamusa, that story was false; Morales was never on active duty.

The Journal News of White Plains, N.Y., also quotes acquaintances of Morales who say she lied about her military service.

Julie Howat and Karolee Larkin, both 23, related to the newspaper a story Morales supposedly told them about her serving in Afghanistan and surviving an explosion that killed everyone in her platoon, leaving her as the unit?s sole survivor.

But Maj. Shawn Haney, a spokesman for the Marines, said in an email to The Journal News that while Morales did serve in the Marines Corps reserve from July 2009 to May 2013, there?s no indication in her record of combat service in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Also, Haney said, ?while (Morales) did not fulfill her reserve obligation, per the Privacy Act, administrative actions are not releasable. The same applies to character of service and type of discharge.?

That?s not all Morales has lied about in the past, acquaintances say.

?She said that her dad raped her and got her pregnant,? Kiersten Bremer told The Daily Caller News Foundation. When Morales failed to produce a child, she told Bremer and other friends that she had cervical cancer which spread to the baby, killing it, Bremer claims.

Bremer says Morales later admitted she fabricated the entire story.

Another story comes from a day care center where she once worked, when she told co-workers that Superstorm Sandy so badly damaged her former home in Stony Point, N.Y., that a boat tore through the living room, The Journal News reported. Concerned friends who stopped by the house found only minor damage to the carpet by the front door and no indications of the catastrophic damage Morales described.

?Every story she comes up with has a lie,? Howat said.

Morales did not respond to requests for comment from The Daily Caller or The Journal News. Messages seeking comment from the Gallop Asian Bistro and the Wounded Warrior Project also went unanswered, The Daily Caller said.

Source:

:whistle:

The customers that she waited on have now provided proof that they did in fact tip and their card was charged for their bill including a tip as well...

Seems to be that she was being rather dishonest here unfortunately...

It should not be the customers job to pay their server staff. Tips are a thank you for better than standard service, nothing more.

Exactly!  I always dislike tipping because it just means whomever they work for are so greedy they don't want to pay their servers a decent wage out of their own pockets.  It shouldn't be my job to subsidize the wages they get paid.

That's disappointing to hear. Compulsive liar getting their own ways by making up stories. Sounds like another infamous person...

Also guys it's kinda pointless to do the whole 'in your face' thing unless you care for ego points.

Americans tip, Englishmen eat baked beans for brealfast (ugh!) and have the worst peanut butter on the planet. Let's just call it even.

Relevant how?

Baked beans aren't solely eaten by the English btw. 

Childish post is idiotic. 

• Like 2

i am Canadian and don't believe in tipping. Sometimes (very rare) i do out of social pressure or if the server is super super nice. I wonder if you all tip your fast food server too?

Here in Canada we have a set minimum wage for people, whether they are servers or not, they get a base minimum. If you are not happy with you wage, do what other people do and look for a better job. None available? Oh well, its not the public's job to pay you more. That's between your employer and yourself to work out. Charity has no place in the workforce.

Not only did she lie about the tip and pretty much everything else, she was also Dishonorably discharged from the Marines, this story keeps getting better and better

The silence of some in the past 3 or so pages is deafening.

I know right? Wonder how long before someone tries to defend this thing of a person

• Like 1

Americans tip, Englishmen eat baked beans for brealfast (ugh!) and have the worst peanut butter on the planet. Let's just call it even.

How are those 2 even related to each other? 

I enjoy baked beans and enjoy Peanut Butter. The only difference I found in American Peanut butter over there was that it was sweeter, tasted more of Sugar than Peanuts. In the American Mess Hall in Camp Bastion everything tasted like it had sugar in it, the meat, the bread, the water. All tasted of Sugar.

Different places, different customs.

When I was there the PB was a very coarse grind, oily, and as you said way too sweet. And beans with an omelet? Please....

So you've not got much of an argument other than to try and attack UK food? Pretty sad...

You might want to climb down off your high horse there, DocM.

I know right? Wonder how long before someone tries to defend this thing of a person

I dunno. The crickets are chirping pretty hard compared to the fanfare on page 1.

She probably isn't even gay. It seems she's lied about everything else in her life; probably lying about being a lesbian, too.

Not edgy enough. She should've been a runaway islamic girl from Saudi Arabia that was a lesbian and got abused by evil americans. Donations would reach $10.000 and the place she worked at would be glorified as the Kingdom of Righteousness.

Different places, different customs.

When I was there the PB was a very coarse grind, oily, and as you said way too sweet. And beans with an omelet? Please....

It's not like Beans in a fried breakfast is an English thing, eaten in plenty of local American Diners on my vacations across the USA, and Beans were an option with most of the fried breakfast options. Im not sure if you're being sarcastic but you seem to be placing your own dining preferences as the "norm" for everyone in both countries.

So you've not got much of an argument other than to try and attack UK food? Pretty sad...

You might want to climb down off your high horse there, DocM.

No thinner than many of the ANTI-US arguements on Neowin. How's it feel?

No thinner than many of the ANTI-US arguements on Neowin. How's it feel?

Just seems like a pretty shallow attempt at trying to post something mildly antagonistic to Britons. Expected it and saw right through it really.  

Couldn't really care less if I'm honest.  :)