PS4 standby mode = awesome

I really, really like the PS4's standby mode. I started the download for both Resogun and Black Light and then I put the PS4 into standby mode and went to bed. When I woke up this morning and turned it back on, not only were both games downloaded, but they were installed and on top of that an update for Killzone also downloaded and installed. Now that's awesome!

Glad that you're having a good time with it, but that's not really a next gen feature.

The Xbox 360 does this now as well (apart from updating) and doesn't eat 70W while being in standby like the PS4.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/15/ps4-consumes-70w-while-downloading-in-standby-because-it-uses-the-main-apu-and-not-just-the-arm-chip/

70w in standby when downloading is more than anyone should expect.  You'd think it'd be a good bit lower, around the 20-25w range I'd guess (because you're also using the hdd etc), but 70w is close to the 80w idle power it uses anyways.   Not much of a "standby" mode in this case.

I really, really like the PS4's standby mode. I started the download for both Resogun and Black Light and then I put the PS4 into standby mode and went to bed. When I woke up this morning and turned it back on, not only were both games downloaded, but they were installed and on top of that an update for Killzone also downloaded and installed. Now that's awesome!

PS3 does this as well with PS+, but you know, you better buy an Xbox 360 instead of enjoying this feature due to the power usage.

It's 10w standby, only 70w when it's downloading. You aren't going to be downloading 99% of your standby time.

70w in standby when downloading is more than anyone should expect.  You'd think it'd be a good bit lower, around the 20-25w range I'd guess (because you're also using the hdd etc), but 70w is close to the 80w idle power it uses anyways.   Not much of a "standby" mode in this case.

Yeah, 70W is crazy.  :s

I think that's nearly what the total running power of a 360 S is.

• Like 2

PS3 does this as well with PS+, but you know, you better buy an Xbox 360 instead of enjoying this feature due to the power usage.

So people complain that all the apps on the Xbox is behind a paywall, but when it comes to the PS3, power saving standby mode is behing a paywall itself?

Edit:- Genuine question, not trying to troll.

So people complain that all the apps on the Xbox is behind a paywall, but when it comes to the PS3, power saving standby mode is behing a paywall itself?

What? No. How can standby mode be behind a paywall?

Automatic downloading of game updates when in standby mode is a PS+ feature on the PS3. You set a manual time, say 5am, and the PS3 turns on then and downloads your game updates/patches and installs them.

I agree that its a nice feature, worked like a charm for me last night as well.  The power draw does seem high.  Based on what the ps4 actually does, maybe the answer would be for it to do less when waking up from standby.  If it were to only download the update files but then wait to install them or update the ui to reflect the updates, maybe that would cut down on the power draw.

Currently, its basically waking the entire system up to perform the updates, so its not shocking its drawing as much as it does. 

As AB said though, that high power draw only occurs during the update process, so it wouldn't be going on all night.  Although I wonder if it could get worse if updates are staggered.  If its listening for updates all the time, its possible it could wake up several times over the course of the day.

Oh come on, heaven forbid anyone brings up any little thing that might look negative about something you like.     Yes, it's a nice feature, many have been using it on the PS3 and 360 as have I.  I just didn't expect it to use that much when it honestly shouldn't be.   I doubt the newest versions of the PS3 or 360 draw that much when in standby and downloading, but who knows?    

Yeah, coming from an Xbox it was a little odd that I had to specifically put it in standby mode. I'm used to that being automatic if a controller is hooked up and needing to be charged or if a download is going.

Yeah, coming from an Xbox it was a little odd that I had to specifically put it in standby mode. I'm used to that being automatic if a controller is hooked up and needing to be charged or if a download is going.

Yeah, I do prefer that kind of automatic feature.

70W, 30W, who gives a crap? I don't. I just like the standby mode, period.

People who actually have to pay their electric bills, I imagine. 

how about this? turn of the console? then don't complain about 70W usage. Its not that hard now!

And then... turn it on and pull even more power while it downloads? Brilliant!

How about they use a low power mode for background downloads like every other recent electronic device on the market.  :rofl:

FWIW, as the article states, this will probably change in the future. It was probably just the fastest way to get it working with the hardware they had. The older versions of last generations consoles had high power usages as well.

People who actually have to pay their electric bills, I imagine.

If they were that concerned they should be turning off electricals completely. Unless they see value in spending money to see little red LEDs around their house...

My god, some of you taking this to extremes.    If you don't care then you don't care, good for you.   Nothing wrong with mentioning it though, if you think it's higher than it should be, which is what I do, then what, I shouldn't say so?  I guess I should just live with it because it's no big deal or don't use it and turn it off all the way?    Yeah, ok.     You really can't bring up anything semi-negative or negative about anything when it comes to tech it seems. 

If they were that concerned they should be turning off electricals completely. Unless they see value in spending money to see little red LEDs around their house...

Powered down electronics use about 1W of power. This standby mode is 70 times that. Surely there's some middle ground there, considering, as I mentioned, every other electronic device is capable of it.

I mean, you wouldn't be very happy if your phone required 70% of full power to get background updates, would you? 

Powered down electronics use about 1W of power. This standby mode is 70 times that. Surely there's some middle ground there, considering, as I mentioned, every other electronic device is capable of it.

I mean, you wouldn't be very happy if your phone required 70% of full power to get background updates, would you? 

1W of power that still needs to be paid for :P

If you can't tell, I was joking.

The 70w standby power draw was an Ars Technica publishing error that has since been corrected. If you look at the current version of their hardware review (source) you will notice that standby mode draws 10w. The 70w figure only applies for a standby console while it's downloading/installing games and updates.

A.

• Like 2