PS4 standby mode = awesome

Power usage at running idle (be it downloading or just displaying the OS menu) seems high in general and it gives the impression that they may not be using all of the power scaling features yet. When my old Nehalem Core i7 system with all the trimmings can idle on the desktop with just a few extra watts, there's something afoot. It'll be interesting to see how the new Xbox fares with such similar hardware to the PS4. I have a feeling that they'll have an advantage with all of the work that's gone into Windows NT to make it run with strong power efficiency on mobile devices and servers alike.

It's worth noting that 70w of heat can overwhelm a small space in a fairly short period of time. Hopefully people aren't enclosing their new consoles in cabinets when they're intending to not be using it, or there had better be a very reliable thermal shutdown system. That goes for both the PS4 and the Xbox One. If the system froze at full power while doing an update, it certainly wouldn't be the first time a computer did that.

If they were that concerned they should be turning off electricals completely. Unless they see value in spending money to see little red LEDs around their house...

My GF calls my room a spaceship with all the standby/pulsing lights :P

My GF calls my room a spaceship with all the standby/pulsing lights :p

I know the feeling. I've had comments my room is like a Currys TV wall with all the screens I have lol

I know the feeling. I've had comments my room is like a Currys TV wall with all the screens I have lol

I had to change my PS Plus auto download time on the PS3 as well, use to come on about 3/4am and she would complain it would wake her up. Think I can sleep through anything lol.