PS4 sells through 1 million in N.A in 24hrs

Oh goodness, here we go again. You guys are going to argue over MS vs Sony again?

This is a thread about the ps4 sales numbers, which seems like good numbers to me. A great start to the next gen. As much angst as some have regarding the future of gaming consoles, its clear that there is pent up demand for the latest and greatest in console tech/gaming. Too many people online forget that there is a huge market of gamers and enthusiasts that aren't part of the internet community and don't follow the drumbeat of whatever trend is hot at the moment. Often these customers are overlooked when making predictions.

Can't wait to se how it goes for MS this week.

Many people are also getting away from cable subscriptions and going purely internet based (Hulu, Netflix, etc).   Also many of the partnerships are sports related.. not everyone watches sports.   I still believe 100% the xbone is a very target market.. and has many things that in a few years will be un-used, or just no longer relevant.   With the changes in technology eventually TV's will have all the power of the xbone (app switching, pip apps, etc) so to have a console that does all that isn't needed.  

That's just my opinion though.

The nice thing about the X1 is that its running a robust OS, something that can change and grow as times goes on. That allows the system to evolve with new features or support to react to the changing times/demands of the customers.

Why is it that people think the X1 is stuck in a narrow range of uses? As if the initial features are all the console can ever have and ever will have. Its not like MS has sunk everything into support cable boxes. People focus way too much on a relatively small feature. MS is all about pushing internet based media access and away from relying on cable services. However right now, many people still use those services. It's basically legacy support.

All sorts of devices could do what both the X1 and ps4 could do, both in gaming and media features. What will allow the x1 and ps4 succeed is adapting their software to do new things, or do them better within a better UI.

I don't know, it just seems like MS gets dumped on for these things a little too much.

• Like 2

Sony are extremely important to console gaming whether or not you like them is meaningless.

Companies don't just rise with billions to spend on creating a console, let alone a successful one. Look at Ouya. If anyone was to say MS Sony or Nintendo aren't important, they're clearly not a gamer.

Ouya was doomed from the start. It was Android fanboy's wet dream and not really a game console.
  • Like 2

GG Sony. Hope you have a much better generation than the last (Y)

The nice thing about the X1 is that its running a robust OS, something that can change and grow as times goes on. That allows the system to evolve with new features or support to react to the changing times/demands of the customers.

Why is it that people think the X1 is stuck in a narrow range of uses? As if the initial features are all the console can ever have and ever will have. Its not like MS has sunk everything into support cable boxes. People focus way too much on a relatively small feature. MS is all about pushing internet based media access and away from relying on cable services. However right now, many people still use those services. It's basically legacy support.

I actually get that impression more from the X1 fans towards PS4's capabilites. I know they like to poke fun at patches fixing everything, but essentially Microsoft did the same and built the 360's OS on patches every year. There's nothing wrong with that approach either as long as the hardware can support it. Don't get me wrong, Sony launching without CD support etc is pretty ****ing ridiculous in 2013, but they're easy to add back in.

Reacting to and supporting a fast online market is going to be important for both the X1/PS4 more than it ever was on last gens consoles. We all know Microsoft are much better at it, being a software company, but Sony aren't standing still either.

GO Sony!!  But I wonder how many of those are defect...

Let's see how Microsoft do next Friday...  The Xbox One is $100 more than the PS4, that could have some kind of impact on sales...

I actually get that impression more from the X1 fans towards PS4's capabilites. I know they like to poke fun at patches fixing everything, but essentially Microsoft did the same and built the 360's OS on patches every year. There's nothing wrong with that approach either as long as the hardware can support it. Don't get me wrong, Sony launching without CD support etc is pretty ****ing ridiculous in 2013, but they're easy to add back in.

Reacting to and supporting a fast online market is going to be important for both the X1/PS4 more than it ever was on last gens consoles. We all know Microsoft are much better at it, being a software company, but Sony aren't standing still either.

Exactly, I agree.

And yet some people say that about MS and the X1 or the ps4. As if MS supporting features like hooking up a cable box is a negative or it means nothing because something else could do it all down the line. This will apply to both consoles.

Too often, people get hung up on the x1 vs ps4 mentality where anything positive or negative said about one console is an attack on or defense of the other console.

I think the PS4 problems are being blown out of proportion. ALL SONY CONSOLES HAD ISSUES IN THE PAST. The PlayStation 1 had problems, the PS2 had problems and so did the PS3. Everything has problems ranging from TVs to cars. Launch day products particularly suffer more problems than later made products.

There are real people having real problems with their console. That much we know. We don't know exact numbers, but its more than a couple people.

So you can take from that what you will. Until we hear more about numbers of failures, its hard to say how 'serious' it is.

I think its wrong to dismiss the issues as just 'normal' at this point, but its also wrong to overreact to bash the console. There are problems, we will see how it plays out.

I currently have had no issues, so I'm doing fine, but others are not.

• Like 3

4,000 out of a million doesn't sound that bad.

Yes, except that it's almost certainly much much much higher than that... best case, an order of magnitude higher.

You don't get 20% 1 star reviews from verified buyers (Amazon) from nowhere. Of course, people only write reviews when something goes wrong. I'll give them that.