'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable

Found on Slashdot reguarding this master/slave stuff:

Remember how the generic pronoun "he" was considered sexist, and now we're supposed to write the contraction "s/he" to mean "she or he"? Well, it's pretty clear that this discriminates against nongendered species as well as inorganic objects. Thus I propose the written contraction "s/h/it" to mean "she, he, or it." I'll contact the LA County supervisors right away with my proposal.

Let's just name them after that new movie, "master and commander". Then we'd only have to rename half the drives. And it would sound pretty cool.

Also, someone should stick a Confederate Flag on their computer and paint the South shall Rise Again!

Found on Slashdot reguarding this master/slave stuff:

Remember how the generic pronoun "he" was considered sexist, and now we're supposed to write the contraction "s/he" to mean "she or he"? Well, it's pretty clear that this discriminates against nongendered species as well as inorganic objects. Thus I propose the written contraction "s/h/it" to mean "she, he, or it." I'll contact the LA County supervisors right away with my proposal.

HAHAHA pure genius! love it.

my god, why don't we just remove them all from the dictionary as well? someone might be looking up something and come across something they think is 'offensive'. geez, PC is *out of control*. if no one was offended by anything, life would be completely boring, and this forum would be useless. it is my freaking *constitutional right* to offend anyone i god damn well please, so long as it's not excessive, harassing, etc. and if you're offended by that, YOU CAN SHOVE IT!!! ;)

The County of Los Angeles has requested that equipment vendors avoid using the industry term "Master/Slave" in product descriptions and labelling. 'Master' and 'slave' in computer terminology are used to describe hard drive configurations... it's hardcoded into your computer's BIOS.

The memo:

====================================================

Subject: IDENTIFICATION OF EQUIPMENT SOLD TO LA COUNTY

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:21:16 -0800

The County of Los Angeles actively promotes and is committed to ensure a work environment that is free from any discriminatory influence be it actual or perceived. As such, it is the County's expectation that our manufacturers, suppliers and contractors make a concentrated effort to ensure that any equipment, supplies or services that are provided to County departments do not possess or portray an image that may be construed as offensive or defamatory in nature.

One such recent example included the manufacturer's labeling of equipment where the words "Master/Slave" appeared to identify the primary and secondary sources. Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label.

We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment or components thereof that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature before such equipment is sold or otherwise provided to any County department.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance.

Joe Sandoval, Division Manager

Purchasing and Contract Services

Internal Services Department

County of Los Angeles

====================================================

I highly doubt that every hardware vendor is going to change it from Master/Slave.

They better not ;)

Wow, how stupid is this BS? I hope it gets REJECTED AND THEY GET PWN3D

I suppose they could just go with Cable Select, which works exactly the same as Master/Slave, but that may offend some people.

Why can't people let the racism stuff go, I have never ever thought about it like that. Next think you know we will have to give PC's the right to vote and then we will all be living in the Matrix. All because we couldn't call components "Master" and "Slave".

:whistle: :no: